PDA

View Full Version : windows 8 has anyone upgraded yet

Ickie
October 25th, 2012, 08:31
windows 8, has anyone upgraded yet?, I tried to download the assistant but it is not working yet.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/home

Dangerousdave26
October 25th, 2012, 08:33
We were talking about this at work today. I will be skipping this one.

IanHenry
October 25th, 2012, 08:38
I can't see what advantages it has over Windows 7.

Ian.

aeronca1
October 25th, 2012, 09:07
Tried the pre-release and tossed it in the garbage bin. Will wait for Windows 9 the in between releases are always better.

blazefox2
October 25th, 2012, 10:26
I'm not jumping on this one, i like windows 7, 8 just seems like a giant smartphone...

beana51
October 25th, 2012, 10:29
Mine is not broke..so I will not Fix it..My installed Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium..FINALLY does what I want...My only focus is to our Flight Simming...were a New Operating System be more supportive of that?..Then I would then consider it ... The new 8?...I will continue to monitor the incoming reports.....

hey_moe
October 25th, 2012, 10:54
Hi Ickie, you know me I like the latest and greatest but I will be passing on this one. I downloaded the trail version of it a while back and wasn't impressed with it at all. It reminds me of the PS3 or phone apps. I also didn't care for how ya moved around with this OS either. :isadizzy: As far as opening different programs it was a chore to just get around on the desktop. Let me know what cha think about it, Mike.

ananda
October 25th, 2012, 10:55
Upgrade? I thought it was a downgrade :running:

aeromed202
October 25th, 2012, 12:19
I wouldn't call it an upgrade, IMHO. It's so different I'd call it either a switch or addition. I'm beginning to think the marketeers at MS have really fouled up this one (they've had a sterling rep so far ;)). They should have sold it as some new toy/OS and certainly not Windows 8, because it can't really replace a true "windows" style OS. Now there are all these "well I don't know about this" attitudes, including mine, that are tainting what might have been an acceptable expense for a lot of people. If I had a touch screen LT that I wouldn't do regular work on, then maybe, maybe.

Willy
October 25th, 2012, 12:50
My experience with things that were designed to "do it all" is that they do nothing very well.

b52bob
October 25th, 2012, 13:04
I remember when windows first appeared. All the ms dos people were screaming and yelling that it was a toy and not for professionals. I was one of them as I was running an Amiga, the same windows in a 64k kernel and we all laughed at ms for there bloat ware.

I think it's is going to happen with w8. I won't be upgrading though, w7is just dandy

keatles
October 25th, 2012, 13:23
In my experience, any M$ software version with even numbers (even the early odd-numbered versions with even-numbered upgrades, e.g. DOS 6.0 vs DOS 6.1; Windows 3.0[bad] vs Windows 3.1[OK]; Windows 2000, etc) was full of trouble.

If Microsoft have been consistent, I would give this one a miss.

Just my opinion. :a1451:

FAC257
October 25th, 2012, 13:40
Ickie, I think the Windows 8 site is just getting ready for the official release tomorrow. The "Buy" button is there, but probably won't go live until mid-night or after. I don't have the retail version yet, but have been running the Release Preview for about a month.

So far I can't find anything that I don't like about Windows 8 and have every intention of making the official upgrade as soon as it goes live.

During the first week I re-installed it a few times, as I learned how I wanted it installed and what software I wanted to keep or upgrade to go along with it. I even had the new MS Office trial version installed, until I learned how to get my Office 2010 installed correctly. I really liked the newer MS Office also, but since my 2010 version still works, there was really no need to make that a permanent upgrade. So far the only program that I wanted to keep that I had to upgrade was my Corel PaintShop Pro. There was something about my old PSPX3 that Windows 8 didn't like.

I've logged about 70 flight hours in FSX with about 80% of all my payware
installed.

One of the things I like the most about Windows 8 is that it is the first version of Windows that I have seen in a long time that I actually think is interesting and entertaining to work with. With an apparently streamlined version of Windows 7 underneath and the option of running in full tilt Windows 8 mode if I feel like it, I'm finding that I have more options in how I want to do what I want to do. At first, like some have reported, the interface seems a little bewildering, but once I stuck with it and got used to the new ways to navigate the OS, I find it's a flippin' blast to work with. I was stubborn at first and kept trying to do everything the W7 way because that was what I familiar with, but as I learned the Windows 8 way to do the same task, I found it quicker and easier. After this amount of time and having it set up the way I want, I find that all of the programs that I use regularly are easier to get to and seem to open up and are ready to go quicker than they did in W7

I have always been a firm believer in the "every other version of Windows sucks" theory, but unless I run into something really unexpected, I think they finally broke the curse with Windows 8

FAC

andersel
October 25th, 2012, 17:07
T seems to me that Windows 8 was designed for those unfortunates that cannot figure out a keyboard or a mouse. I will stick with WIN 7

Cirrus N210MS
October 26th, 2012, 09:04
i did try the beta it is on my dads windows Tablet And all i can say is I am Sticking With windows 7 The new One is Total waste of time :kilroy:

hey_moe
October 27th, 2012, 04:02
Ickie, I was kinda bored yesterday and decided to buy another one of those electronic hard drives. Installed W7/64 and brought the W8 disk and installed..lol. Been messing with it and it is different than the standard Windows OS in the past. I guess it takes a little getting use to but it for sure is a new learning curve. Getting it set up to my level I had to go on line and do some reading. All the programs I have installed have worked so far and no crashes yet. It is a faster OS, but I already new that. To me it is still geared towards shared programs and cell phones. Still tweaking it and seeing what kind of trouble I can get in. Also I have been watching the News abut this hurricane. Is your system water proof...lol

Terry
October 27th, 2012, 04:14
Hey Moe, I heard 8 was missing components that were standard through 7 such as the ability to watch a DVD. Have you tried it?

Ickie
October 27th, 2012, 04:20
I ran the compat thingy (Click Here (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8)) and it said i needed to download an apt to view DVDs, But a MS program called Front Page, would not work, .... boo hoo, :mix-smi: I have been buying this and using this program since 1995 and I would be lost without it working on web pages. I did buy MS Web Essentials, but it was a flop compared to front page. So on this computer I will not be upgrading.

FAC257
October 28th, 2012, 04:32
To watch DVDs in W8 you'll need to add the Windows Media Center.

At this time that application is free for folks who upgraded using the DL version of W8Pro. From what I understand this freebee offer is not available for folks who go the retail box upgrade route. It's a limited time offer that expires at the end of January.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

FAC

aeromed202
October 28th, 2012, 05:32
Came across this yesterday, might be of some use.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/windows-things-microsofts-os/story?id=17570782#.UI0zpJjqlo9

stansdds
October 28th, 2012, 05:44
I'm still using XP Home for my home rig and XP Pro at the office. I do have Vista on my laptop and I hate it, even with most of the security junk turned off, it's just slow. I might go to Windows 7, but I'm avoiding Windows 8.

Terry
October 28th, 2012, 06:14
Came across this yesterday, might be of some use.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/windows-things-microsofts-os/story?id=17570782#.UI0zpJjqlo9

That was interesting, be sure to look for the link at the bottom of the page which tells you why you should not install Windows 8.

rhumbaflappy
October 28th, 2012, 07:13
Windows 8 may be the "Flight!" of operating systems. As with their flying game, you'll eventually be forced to buy apps from their app store to get your computer to do anything. The stage is set for an epic fail.

Windows 9 is supposed to be 64-bit programs only.

It will be sad to see our old simulators eventually go.

Dick

n4gix
October 28th, 2012, 07:20
The more I read about Windows 8 and the IFKaM (see the linked article!), the more I become convinced that it's fatally flawed.

For folks who's IQ is somewhat less than that of a rutabaga (reference: "Idiocracy"), it may well be perfectly suited, but for power users such as developers, it would be a complete non-starter!

I seriously doubt that Autodesk's Max nor Adobe's Photoshop would even run under Win8, nor would any of the FS development tools.

Seriously! Could FS9 or FSX even be installed, much less actually RUN under Win8? I have serious doubts about that... :isadizzy:

FAC257
October 28th, 2012, 08:31
By the end of the day I should have about 85-90 flight hours in FSX logged under Windows 8.

I've got it so that I can start it up from either the Metro or classic style desktop. I haven't seen any difference in how it runs either way. FSX runs like a champ under Windows 8.

Almost all of the FSX add-ons that I use, installed and work without any issues that I have seen so far. The reason that I say "almost all" is that while all of my payware non-aircraft software (utilities & scenery) seem good to go, I have run into at least one payware aircraft that does not want anything to do with Windows 8. I own two aircraft made by this particular company. Both of them worked well in the FSX/W7 environment. In the FSX/W8 environment, the older of the two works just like it did in W7, but strangely the newer of the two at this time is an unusable mess in W8. I've tried re-installing this particular aircraft several times over the last month or so with W8RP and now W8Pro without any luck.

FAC

stansdds
October 28th, 2012, 11:16
Windows 8 may be the "Flight!" of operating systems. As with their flying game, you'll eventually be forced to buy apps from their app store to get your computer to do anything. The stage is set for an epic fail.

Windows 9 is supposed to be 64-bit programs only.

It will be sad to see our old simulators eventually go.

Dick

You can set up computers for dual operating systems, you just select which one you want when you boot up, so make sure you hang onto a full version disc of Windows 7, Vista, or even XP.

robert41
October 28th, 2012, 12:13
Looks different for sure.
Iam not into smart phones, so I would be lost with this.

emfrat
October 28th, 2012, 12:43
Hey Moe, I heard 8 was missing components that were standard through 7 such as the ability to watch a DVD. Have you tried it?

I'm beginning to suspect that Michael O'Leary is involved somewhere....remember this story?

Let’s spare a thought for Michael O’Leary, Chief Executive of Ryanair.
Arriving in a hotel in Dublin , he went to the bar and asked for a pint of Guinness.
The barman nodded and said "that will be one Euro please, Mr. O’Leary" to which Michael replied "that’s a very competitive price" and handed over his money.
"Will you be wanting a glass with your Guinness, sir?" enquired the barman.

Cheers:guinness:

MikeW

Gdavis101
October 28th, 2012, 12:58
I am skipping this one as well, just not ready to give up Windows 7. I don't care for the whole app approach and do not care for smart phones either and the last thing I want is my desktop to be like a ******* smart phone!

srgalahad
October 28th, 2012, 16:44
I love threads like this every time someone starts to market a new product. Let me ask a question...

Why do you need to buy/install/learn a new OS?

1. "I'm never satisfied and every new product promises me peace..."
2. "I never learned how to handle my old OS('s) but this one will be easier..."
3. "I wouldn't have any problems to post if I stayed with my 'old' stable system..."
4. "I can get sucked in by any advertising that says "new", "improved", "better"...
5. "I'm attracted to anything bright and shiny - like my cat's laser pointer..."

For those who just can't resist, I have a really good deal on an as-yet-unbuilt bridge to somewhere...

robert41
October 28th, 2012, 19:36
I am skipping this one as well, just not ready to give up Windows 7. I don't care for the whole app approach and do not care for smart phones either and the last thing I want is my desktop to be like a ******* smart phone! [/INDENT]]

I agree.
I do not use a smart phone. I have seen them, and think they are a pta to use.
There are 4 or 5 people at work that have these. Cell phones are not allowed at my work. And about every 15-20 min or so they sneak a look at their phone. I do not understand what is so important that they need to text someone every 15 min?
Perhaps someone can explain this to me?

Willy
October 28th, 2012, 20:16
Call me a luddite, but I've yet to find a compelling reason to upgrade from XP.

gradyhappyg
October 28th, 2012, 20:23
Nope! The only time I update OS's is when I update PC's meaning the old one has blown completely up and buying a replacement part won't fix it and the new PC has a new OS already installed..........and with Microsofts every other OS bombs track record very reluctantly.

aeromed202
October 28th, 2012, 20:37
... and don't forget

5. Seems they're stopping support on what I've gotten comfortable with so I have to change or move to an island. Phooey :(

stansdds
October 29th, 2012, 08:55
Call me a luddite, but I've yet to find a compelling reason to upgrade from XP.

Same here, wish it was 64 bit, but my Windows XP Home install has been rock solid.

demorier
October 29th, 2012, 16:49
Hey Willy...you're a luddite (whatever that is) hehe

Odie
October 30th, 2012, 06:05
My son works at OfficeMax and they just got through with their training on Win8....he said no rush to upgrade. I will admit to having
Windows XP on one pc, Vista 32 on the laptop, and Vista 64 on the gaming rig. No issues with any of them so I'm not stressing to
upgrade at them moment.