PDA

View Full Version : MAIW FSX Installation Guide & Prop Texture Tool

gsnde
January 3rd, 2009, 12:57
Happy New Year!

I have updated the tutorial on how to use the MAIW packages in FSX. I have added a description how to correct some errors (valid for FS9 as well) and a list of all textures and effects installed by MAIW packages.

In addition I have released Version 2.0 of my MAIW Propeller Texture Replace Tool.

The purpose of this tool is to replace the propeller texture prop-hs.bmp, which is displayed in FSX as a solid disk due to an FS9 compatible (white) alpha channel.
Different than in the last version where only one replacement texture was used the current version replaces all 24 different prop-hs.bmp textures with the individually corrected file. This has to happen 778 times if you have all MAIW packages installed, so it's not a task done easily by hand. If you have already used the last version of my tool please have a look at the included Read-Me file.

You can download tutorial and tool in the MAIW section of The Owl's Nest (http://www.interkultur.de/gossmann/fsx/).

Warrant
January 3rd, 2009, 14:42
cool, thanks:typing::wave:

MCDesigns
January 3rd, 2009, 14:57
:ernae::ernae:

Cactuskid
January 3rd, 2009, 16:22
Thanks! :applause: I was wondering if there's a fix for canopy glass textures that don't show up on some of my older MAIW packages, mostly F-15's and F-16's? It seems like the newer packages like the Hawks have cured this problem.

gsnde
January 3rd, 2009, 23:42
Thank you for the nice words !

Cactuskid, can you give me the details which package is affected from the invisible canopy texture? I have never noticed it (FSX SP2). The only issue with canopy textures I am aware of is the opaque one of the Mirage 2000.

Cactuskid
January 4th, 2009, 00:30
Thank you for the nice words !

Cactuskid, can you give me the details which package is affected from the invisible canopy texture? I have never noticed it (FSX SP2). The only issue with canopy textures I am aware of is the opaque one of the Mirage 2000.

Martin, a couple that come to mind are Elmendorf and Shaw. There are others, but I just can't think of them at the moment. Like I said, it was mostly F-15's and 16's. I'm running FSX SP1, but that shouldn't make a difference, should it?

gsnde
January 5th, 2009, 06:39
I'm running FSX SP1, but that shouldn't make a difference, should it?

In principle this is a big difference, Cactuskid. FSX and FSX SP1 showed untextured material as plain black. So if a developer of an aircraft left something untextured and directly applied a material color, this was showing as black in FSX and looked rather ugly. That was one of the things fixed with SP2 which I liked most.

I am not sure though if SP2 solved opaque issues. I have read more than once that opacity issues were speculated to be related to graphic cards and drivers.

I will have a look at the packages you have mentioned.

stovall
January 5th, 2009, 06:56
Thanks Martin, I use your great C-130 and Apache in my Desert Storm Scenery. I had to correct the prop textures myself. This will make things really easy for future AI needs. Off to get your Prop conversion tool.

Keep up the good work, Tom

gsnde
January 5th, 2009, 09:28
... I use your great C-130 and Apache in my Desert Storm Scenery. ...

If only I would be able to create anything usable with GMax... but I can only do tools with VB :typing:

The Apache is from Nick Black, and the C-130 is from Henry Tomkiewicz.

Navy Chief
January 5th, 2009, 17:29
Thanks for the information on the FSX install update. I tried, at one point, to install a couple of the MAIW packages into FSX, using the first tutorial. Somewhere along the line, I messed up, and it didn't work. I got frustrated, trying to fix it, and ended up taking all the MAIW files back off of FSX.

Maybe this time I can figure it out. Probably not, with my past record of attempts.....

NC

gsnde
January 5th, 2009, 22:21
Try again, and if something fails to work, ask me - maybe we can figure it out.

Navy Chief
January 6th, 2009, 06:06
Try again, and if something fails to work, ask me - maybe we can figure it out.

Thanks, I will do that!

Pete

gsnde
April 13th, 2010, 22:26
The Owl's Nest has seen some changes in the last quarter.

1. Both Airport Search and Distance Calculator now have Google Maps support. You can open the airport location in Google Maps by clicking on the link in the airport search results.

http://www.interkultur.de/gossmann/FSD/ScreenShot099.jpg

The distance calculator presents the calculation result with a map showing the route.
http://www.interkultur.de/gossmann/FSD/ScreenShot098.jpg

2. I have established Owl-AI to support the release of the Ralf Kreibich AI collection. The first Owl-AI release - coming soon - will be a huge F-104 package. I have teamed up with Ray Parker (http://rayparker-repaints.jimdo.com/) who has made all the marvelous paints. You can read about the background and the next releases in the Owl-AI section.

If you have a military AI aircraft that you like to publish under the Owl-AI umbrella you are welcome to contact me.
http://rayparker-repaints.jimdo.com/s/cc_images/cache_2094948509.jpg?t=1267911197

3. More and more people install MAIW packages in FSX. There are only few issues, most of them concerning opaque canopies. I have made texture fixes for the Fernando Martinez Tornado and Mirage 2000 models for all MAIW packages. Furthermore I have released a tool to fix the opaque canopy of Rysiek Winawer's great A-10 model. All fixes and tools are available in the new Download Section.

falcon409
April 14th, 2010, 04:19
Thanks for the information on the FSX install update. I tried, at one point, to install a couple of the MAIW packages into FSX, using the first tutorial. Somewhere along the line, I messed up, and it didn't work. I got frustrated, trying to fix it, and ended up taking all the MAIW files back off of FSX. NC
Yep, same here Chief. The problem I found with the instructions was that it contained (or seemed to) every package that MAIW made rather than a simple, generic set of instructions, taking one package from start to finish. There was so much to wade through that it got very confusing to me. I know some folks download every single package for use in their sim, but not everyone. I downloaded just those packages I wanted for certain areas. There were a lot of bases I knew I would never use so why go to the hassle of downloading them and increasing the workload of trying to get them converted to FSX.

I'll give this one more try, but if it doesn't work, or get's too complex, I won't hesitate to dump it all again. I'd love to have Military AI, but I can also live without it.

thetford569
April 14th, 2010, 04:53
Yep, same here Chief. The problem I found with the instructions was that it contained (or seemed to) every package that MAIW made rather than a simple, generic set of instructions, taking one package from start to finish. There was so much to wade through that it got very confusing to me. I know some folks download every single package for use in their sim, but not everyone. I downloaded just those packages I wanted for certain areas. There were a lot of bases I knew I would never use so why go to the hassle of downloading them and increasing the workload of trying to get them converted to FSX.

I'll give this one more try, but if it doesn't work, or get's too complex, I won't hesitate to dump it all again. I'd love to have Military AI, but I can also live without it.

Falcon,

I used almost every package but left out some so this can be done. On the Owls Nest site there is an up to dat and in order listing of all their packages. You can sort them from the very first package to the last which is helpful because you must install them in the order they were released. Skipping is fine just be sure to follow the instructions on not overwriting certain files. If you make sure to keep the newest file in the other directories then you should be good to go. Unfortunately there is nothing fast about this and it's a painstaking process. It's worth it though IMHO and once you're done you can just add the new packages respecting the overwrites and newer files. Good luck!

Brandon

falcon409
April 14th, 2010, 06:46
Ok, been there, done that, got the T-Shirt and dumped it all in the trash, lol. I downloaded 4 packages, followed (as closely as possible) the maze of information, and went to Luke AFB. The fences are black, the AFCAD shows, no objects, no airplanes, the excludes don't exclude and while I seem to be in the minority, as I said above, I can do without the Military AI. It's history.:rocket:

starlifter
April 14th, 2010, 12:43
4658 I kind of like it...............

falcon409
April 14th, 2010, 13:29
. . .and I am very happy for you.:salute:

Sir_Galahad
March 31st, 2011, 07:52
Hi Falcon: this is for you (hopefully)!:salute:
I just came over to the MAIW packages since for my FSX ai traffic I use UTII, but I got so bored to land in military AB and find them like ghost airports, so I installed the WoAI packages related to the military Air Forces, and eventually for other civil traffic too: I believe all AI traffic packages can coexist, if your HW resources and settings can handle them, but most importantly, be aware of the conflicts that can be created in your FSX install!

When installing MAIW packages in FSXA I always do it manually: first I let the installer copy all files in a TEMP directory, thereafter I transfer them into the main FSXA root where I created sub-folders for it:

-> Simobjects\WoAI\ (remember to add this path in the fsx.cfg!) for the kites

-> Addon Scenery\scenery\Military_WoAI (of course can be placed anywhere you like, but keep it separate and organized!) where I place all scenery and airports: this is important to be able to layer, activate or deactivate properly each AFB, and check if it works with your FS world...!

-> all the remaining files can be placed in the related FSX folders, but I never let replace any already installed and verified file there! As for the Traffic files that go to Scenery\World\scenery be sure you always check their compatibility with FSX using one of the tools available (AIFP, FP_FSX_Check are the ones I use) and if it's needed convert them with the same tools (I use BGL FP Convert), or else you risk to kill all the rest of AI traffic; it is a known issue you cannot use both FS9 and FSX bgl traffic files together in FSX.

One main issue with the AI Warbirds is that they were created for FS9, so you have some issues with their canopies' transparency: some packages have been updated, or there are fixes available: it's just a matter of adding an Alpha channel for many of the models available; at the moment I'm doing it for those collections that still have it not...

Another issue is with the Airbases that need to have Military ramps parking spots to have planes parked there or fly in if there is a flight plan to that airbase: there are many already available, but again here the main issue is about transparent maps; mainly you would notice them with the trees (again you can just rename the tree.bgl file as tree.bgl.OFF and have no trees around the runaways), fences or glass structure in general...

Once you have installed and activated properly these packages, you feel a great boost to see all those birds hanging around...

HTH
Cheers