PDA

View Full Version : getting back into

Ickie
October 20th, 2012, 10:07
I am getting back into an old hobby. CB radio, heck i still have 5 old radio's and an old book the complete peek and tune manual for all CB's.:isadizzy:10 and 11 meter radios.
I am setting up my old star duster this next week, I still need some stuff I use to own, lol, like a freq counter for the lower channels which i installed into them old radios. The little stuff too like them rg58 ends.
I dusted off the dirt and mouse crap from that old cobra 148 and fired it up and found a bunch of old timers here in the tampa area who also came back to the CB.
If anyone has any old stuff like a :icon_eek:D-104 collecting dust let me know, also a small amp:male: for the skip days would be nice too.

hey_moe
October 20th, 2012, 15:33
What is a CB radio :isadizzy:

Jagdflieger
October 20th, 2012, 15:41
Man, that brings back memories of the 70s.

I had a CB in my pickup truck for several years and it provided hours of entertainment and "bear reports" when on long drives through the western states.

CB = Citizen's band radio

PRB
October 20th, 2012, 17:09
Dang, I had a CB radio once. See the pic? If you look closely at the tan colored VW Bus, there is a CB radio antenna stuck on top. It was held there by a pretty powerful magnet. Well, it never flew off in the wind, in any case. Not that a 1971 VW Bus could generate a hulluvalot of wind to begin with, but that's for another topic... I had fun with that radio, driving across the country. This pic was taken in Death Valley. In July. At noon. We were stopping for a drink, and to give the VW air cooled engine a bit of a rest. People don't need CB radios anymore, what with cell phones and all. But in the 1980s, having a CB in the car was cool because you could talk to your buddies in the “convoy”, such as it was... :)

modelr
October 21st, 2012, 05:01
People don't need CB radios anymore, what with cell phones and all. But in the 1980s, having a CB in the car was cool because you could talk to your buddies in the “convoy”, such as it was... :)

I drive a big truck, and the CB is always on. As for the cell phone thing, it is now illegal for a driver of ANY type of commercial vehicle to have the cell phone to the ear or in the hand when rolling. Except for law enforcement!!?? (Supposedly, they are trained to drive safely when using the phone and or their computer, while driving! Yeah, RIGHT!) $1100 fine to the driver, $2400 fine to the COMPANY! Must use hands free device. (They are even discussing making those illegal, also! DA** GOVERNMENT!!)

Blackbird686
October 21st, 2012, 05:23
GEEEZZ... What a flashback! I went from CB Radio to 2m and 6m HAM Radio. At one point had a pretty nice setup. The license expired a few years ago, never had the urge to get back into it. Still have me trusty ol' Kenwood, and a few HT's sitting around, collecting dust.

BB686:USA-flag:

Ickie
October 21st, 2012, 09:40
my lic exspired 25 years ago, lol
I found out today i need a power meter, as my old radios show only 4 watts on the MFJ attenna tuner versa 2, and i know for a fact that these old things were peeked out at about 10 watts years ago.
I also cannot find any rg58 laying around, the 50 ohm stuff, seems everyone has the 75 ohm stuff.
I may just put up a balanced diepole as i recall it is about 17' (2- 8'7" pieces for 11 meters)

Blackbird686
October 22nd, 2012, 14:13
my lic exspired 25 years ago, lol
I found out today i need a power meter, as my old radios show only 4 watts on the MFJ attenna tuner versa 2, and i know for a fact that these old things were peeked out at about 10 watts years ago.
I also cannot find any rg58 laying around, the 50 ohm stuff, seems everyone has the 75 ohm stuff.
I may just put up a balanced diepole as i recall it is about 17' (2- 8'7" pieces for 11 meters)

On my antenna I used RG-8U cable. It was the heavy stuff. I had a 4 element beam on a "tenna rotor" and always thought that it was easier to get the "standing wave ratios" down to minimum with heavier co-ax.
To the best of my knowing... the maximum legal output on an 11 meter rig was 4 watts, back when I was into CB Radio. Suffice to say, there were those of us back then who liked to... so to say... jazz up the power output just a bit.

BB686:USA-flag:

Roger
October 22nd, 2012, 14:42
I am G8VLR (licenced for life now). Active at various times on 10m, 6m, 4m, 70cms, 23cms and some 10cms and 3cms experimental work. G8 licences were originally class B (4m and shorter wavelengths) but recently were made all classes. One day I may return to the hobby that I gave up to go Flight sim full time, but not for a while yet...

n4gix
October 22nd, 2012, 15:24
These days I only operate 2m/440MHz at all. When I sold my last HF rig some years ago, I lost both 10m and 11m ability. Too much QRM around my house, surrounded as I am on all four sides with powerlines... :isadizzy:

Ickie
October 23rd, 2012, 04:05
I was digging into them damm boxes in the shed and found a treasure I forgot I had, from 1978 a cobra 139 XLR, 120 channels with sideband, (if you count the sideband upper and lower channels it comes to 380 channels) People get confused so I have to say that, lol,

I recall that nobody wanted this old thing because they were confused thinking it was the cobra 139, the last 23 channel radio by dynascan ??. As I recall when the FCC opened up the 40 channel here in the US, this was being built and they at dynascan just threw all their junk into, the high power outputs, lol, the multiband PLL, the best filters and all the things the cobra 2000 would eventually have except the freq counter. They only made this base station for a few months because of all the confussion.

I will still need a freq counter for HF. (0-50 MHz) If you have one let me know.

I have this setup on my porch and took my wilson 5000 (5' staneless steel, bottom load ) and mounted it on the peek of my metal roof and grounded it there too, wow do I ever have ears, :icon_eek: that metal roof was a nice ground plane.
Humm the pitch of my roof is about 45* this makes a star duster, lol

rayrey10
October 25th, 2012, 15:38
When I was a young Marine my platoon Sergeant turned me on to CBs. They work a lot better than a radar detector.