PDA

View Full Version : FPS Limiter

rewasiuk
October 18th, 2012, 07:49
Just a few questions about FPS Limiter, how does it install into FSX, how is it to be used within FSX, and how does FPS Limiter function within FSX.

IanHenry
October 18th, 2012, 08:50
Hi,
Why not use the one in Nvidia Inspector?

Regards,
Ian.

rewasiuk
October 18th, 2012, 09:33
Hi,
Why not use the one in Nvidia Inspector?

Regards,
Ian.

Thanks for your reply Ian. What is Nvidia Inspector and what does it do within FSX?

Dimus
October 18th, 2012, 12:12
FPS limiter is an external tool that limits the FPS of any game running under DirectX or OpenGL to a maximum set by the user. It creates a batch file that you run instead of the FSX.exe and your FPS are limited in order to save resources and fight stutters. It may or may not work depending on your system setup. If you download the FPS limiter, there will be instructions on how to use it included in the download.

IanHenry is referring to the limiter included within Nvidia inspector. If you have an Nvidia card then Nvidia inspector is a tool that lets you control several graphics settings directly on the card with more options than the Nvidia control panel. This post is a very good guide:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/fsx-and-nhancer-settings-for-new-drivers-updated_topic36586.html

The Nvidia inspector FPS limiter is mentioned at the end of the post.

YoYo
October 18th, 2012, 14:28
I use FPS Limiter for FSX (with AMD Radeon GPU). Programm is very good for FSX. It reduces stuttering near the ground.

rewasiuk
October 18th, 2012, 15:36
Thanks guys for all of your input. I'll read the info in that link about Nvidia Inspector and see which way I should go. Thanks again!

Reddog
October 18th, 2012, 16:13
Confused!! I thought FSX came with a frame rate ajuster, why the need for something else?

Dain Arns
October 18th, 2012, 19:21
Confused!! I thought FSX came with a frame rate ajuster, why the need for something else?

I'm sure someone will explain it better.
It's considered a "mileage may vary" solution for some folks to the st-st-stuttering issue in FSX, especially when flying close to the ground.
For some folks using the internal frame rate adjustment in FSX works just fine.
For others, setting FSX to "Unlimited" and using an external frame rate limiter offers smoother performance.
The "experts" are divided on this issue.

I found that using the external frame limiter does offer smoother performance for my system, as I am one who operates very close to the ground in FSX, i.e. helicopter operations.
I do have an nVidia card, and found that the frame limiter in nVidia Inspector works better than some external frame limiter programs, in my experience with my system anyway.
Even in some heavy scenery areas, like Aerosoft's Manhattan X, my FPS still drops, but it has smoother performance which is great when your trying to land on a pad at the Port Authority, Downtown, for example.