PDA

View Full Version : OT: Not My Finest Day Ever...

n4gix
October 17th, 2012, 15:06
This has not been one of my better days...

I got up at 6 o'dark and found my email box with a"F86 is missing parts" notice, spent an hour re-exporting, re-compiling, testing, and loading new models on the ftp site for our beta testers. :redf:

Went to the garage and found my left front tire needed some air. Okay, so I drove up the street to my friend's garage (free air!), filled tire, and checked the pressure.

Drove within a few miles of the VA Clinic on south I-65, car began pulling to the right. "Oh no!" By the time I managed to get in the far right lane, I heard a loud "POW! Thuda, thuda, thuda...) Right front tire had disingetrated... :crybaby:

Spent a fruitless ten minutes without finding my car's "hubcap key!" The last place I bought tires years ago evidently forgot to return my key... :isadizzy:

Fortunately, I'd left a very heavy-duty screwdriver in the trunk, so with that and a large rock managed to unscrew the hubcap lock screw and remove the hubcap. Whew!

Tried to use the silly and too short folding lugwrench (standard equipment). A "Kind Soul" in some sort of service truck noticed a frustrated and obviously weak old man trying valiantly to break over-torqued lugnuts by bouncing on the too short folding lug wrench's handle with left foot... :cowboy:

Kind soul silently pulled up behind me on shoulder of the very, VERY busy Interstate, walked up behind me and quietly shouted, "Can I help you with that?" Damn near crapped my drawers, not expecting that! :icon_eek:

"Kind Soul" proceeded to put my doughnut spare on, replaced and hand torqued lugnuts, then fortuitously had a compressor and long air hose, and proceeded to reinflate the silly thing to the listed 85 psi...

Barely made in in time to keep my appointment, then stopped at NTB for a new set of tires for the front end (left front had a slow leak anyway) and radials should always be replaced in "pairs" for safety's sake. :jeep0a:

So fellows, how was your day? :wiggle:

rayrey10
October 17th, 2012, 15:25
Sounds like a "fun" day. Had one of those not too long ago, and if it hadn't been for a "Road Ranger" I would still be on the side of the Florida Turnpike.

My work vehicle (SUV) has a large storage box in the back which prevents access to the jack, lug wrench, or the rod used to lower the spare tire. Thankfully Road Rangers carry all of the stuff.

Anyways, tomorrow is always a new day. It can only get better!!!

Daveroo
October 17th, 2012, 17:16
this reminds me of something that happened to my "work truck" was a 1970(built in 1969) ford F250 camper special ,with an oakland utility box ans custom made piperack (plumbing company),one note,,as i said it was "offically a '70 model year and was sold in 70,but it was built late 1969 and have a 69 grill instead of a 70,it got damaged and the body shop put a 74 grill in..made me mad,and i wanted it changed,but dad wouldnt listen...dang it,,,the truck was stock with a 360 and C6 automatic,in the 80s,we put a 390 that was "pumped up",it had a fancy cam,better lifters and valves,cast iron headers,duel egsaghst with glass packs,was dyno'd at 450hp,with 500 pounds of torqe...my numbers may be off..but i know im close,

anyway i was idling down a narrow street in "up town " auburn,was buillt in 1850s and was built for horses and the lanes are narrow,,,the "rap" from the mufflers would set off car alarms ect,,but this day,,i heard a POP/BANG and then this hellaious grinding sound,i made it about 10 more feet and the right rear wheel locked up,it had stock drum brakes all around,and the brake gobbilygoo had blown apart inside the drum...i couldnt move it at all....cop friend shows up,yellin at me to move the beast so i try again and POP/BANG and the left side came apart,and then it took the triple A tow company 2 hours to come tow us.....my cop buddy was furious...lol

n4gix
October 17th, 2012, 17:30
A friend of mine asked me once when I was going to trade in my '95 Mercury Grand Marquis SRS for something newer...

...I said it's only got 48+ thousand miles on it! I'll keep it until the wheels fall off! I'd inherited it from my Dad who'd bought it new.

Two days later, the right upper ball joint snapped. Fortunately for me, I was just turning into the parking lot at my local convenience store/gas station.

I can only imagine what very well might have happened to me if that had happened at 60 or 70 miles per hour!!!

Lionheart
October 17th, 2012, 23:26
Man, those are some scary stories. I hate to break down.

I once had a Shelby Daytona, lowered with ground effects skirts, etc, etc, (many years ago). I have a LHF flat, pull over on the freeway, get out, proceed to change the tire. Takes me fore ever to figure a way to jack it up as it was too low to raise with low profile tires, it was basically on the ground. I fially found a way to get it up in the air, and while I am about to pull the wheel off, it rolls forward and off the jack, and now the jack is under the car.

I do not even remember how I got home. What a day that was....

Poor car. It was in such dis-repair. I was so broke. I didnt have the money for a tow truck, tires, etc. Grim times.

hey_moe
October 18th, 2012, 02:41
LMAO....What a freaking nightmare. Makes ya wanna just go home and crawl back in bed and hope it was only a dream. I can deal with everything, but that flat tire would drive me nuts. :pop4::isadizzy:

KellyB
October 18th, 2012, 05:21
Many years ago, I had dinner at the bar in a Chinese restaurant. My fortune cookie was empty. I asked the Chinese bartender, Chuck, what this might signify. He consulted with others in Chinese and reported to me that no one knew the answer.

Next morning, I started out the door to go to work, and discovered left rear tire flat. Sigh. changed tire and off to work.

Having lunch with a colleague, a barb-like splinter of metal on the fork pierced my lower lip as I withdrew it. Lots of blood and strange mutterings had my companion thinking I was suffering some strange attack. Stopped bleeding, lunch was free. And moved on.

Mid afternoon, a gorgeous day, I decided to walk across the campus to a meeting. As I approached the building where the meeting was to take place, a bird nailed me with a large bomb leaving me covered in birds**t down the left front of my jacket. Cleaned up in the men's room, apologized for being late, but the others forgave me under the circumstances.

Things happen in threes, my grandmother once told me, so I decided this day should end without further calamity.
Went back to the bar at the Chinese restaurant, and said to Chuck, "Let me tell you what an empty fortune cooky signifies..."

Daveroo
October 18th, 2012, 07:10
Many years ago, I had dinner at the bar in a Chinese restaurant. My fortune cookie was empty. I asked the Chinese bartender, Chuck, what this might signify. He consulted with others in Chinese and reported to me that no one knew the answer.

Next morning, I started out the door to go to work, and discovered left rear tire flat. Sigh. changed tire and off to work.

Having lunch with a colleague, a barb-like splinter of metal on the fork pierced my lower lip as I withdrew it. Lots of blood and strange mutterings had my companion thinking I was suffering some strange attack. Stopped bleeding, lunch was free. And moved on.

Mid afternoon, a gorgeous day, I decided to walk across the campus to a meeting. As I approached the building where the meeting was to take place, a bird nailed me with a large bomb leaving me covered in birds**t down the left front of my jacket. Cleaned up in the men's room, apologized for being late, but the others forgave me under the circumstances.

Things happen in threes, my grandmother once told me, so I decided this day should end without further calamity.
Went back to the bar at the Chinese restaurant, and said to Chuck, "Let me tell you what an empty fortune cooky signifies..."

LOL......sorry to laugh....but LOL

hey_moe
October 18th, 2012, 11:54
LMAO...... Good one Kelly:mixedsmi:

Henry
October 18th, 2012, 14:55
:ichile:not competing but lifes a beach sometimes:mix-smi:just hopeits not,contageous:sheep:tomorow is anew day, havea greatday:pop4:H