PDA

View Full Version : OT: Tablets

rayrey10
October 16th, 2012, 16:36
I'm looking for some advice on a Tablet. I am looking to purchase one to use mainly for work. I would like to use it to take notes (preferably with a stylus), something that I can get a good calendar on, and good organization apps. Anyone have any recommendations?

Currently I use a "Rite in the Rain" 5x7 pad, and a pen for taking notes, writing my daily "to do list", other such tasks. This year I have used about 400 sheets and having to look for stuff from a meeting that happened 5 months ago is a pain.

So far i have looked at the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and the new iPad. I plan on checking out the Nexus tablet this weekend.

SPman
October 16th, 2012, 17:10
I've got a Google Nexus 7 16 which is good - but would be better with a 3G connection and a mini SD slot. Depends on your budget. The Nexus is more convenient than my netbook or notebook, and using writenote, you can write stuff down like on a pad. The Ipad mini should be good when it comes out (has it, yet) - I find the 10 inch tablets too cumbersome.

keatles
October 16th, 2012, 18:21
Ʀ Take 2 tablets and call me in the morning.

:icon29:

Tako_Kichi
October 16th, 2012, 20:01
I have no complaints about my 32 Gb Blackberry Playbook and the latest ones are 4G and WI-FI enabled (mine is just WI-FI). They are designed primarily for business use so there are lots of business apps but also lots of games too. Initially the Playbooks were a bit short on apps as they were late to the tablet market but they are catching up rapidly and new apps come out every single day.

You can use a stylus, the built-in touch keypad or you can buy an add-on physical keyboard that connects via Bluetooth.

If you have a Blackberry phone you can sync the two together too.

It also has two cameras (one front facing and one rear facing) and video capabilities. Video playback (especially of movies) is visually stunning, super crisp and very clear.

I use it primarily as an e-book reader and also use it to browse the internet if I am not at my main computer or to check the weather if the main computer is off due to local thunderstorms.

The other nice thing is the Blackberry is a fraction of the cost of an i-Pad and does almost the same stuff (and some things better!)

luckydog
October 16th, 2012, 20:32
I've just bought a Samsung 10.1.
Today, I put it in the side pocket of my coyote colored utilities.
Sat in a waiting room for 4 hours while the old lady had eye surgery.
Read several chapters of a book, played pool, solitaire, Texas holdem',
took 4 pics of sexy nurses walking by,
and wrote about my 7th grade sexual awakenings.

I like it.

LD

rayrey10
October 17th, 2012, 12:52
Fellas,
Thanx for the advise! I'm so indecisive when it comes to purchases like this. I wish I could get a trail period with each for a month then buy the one I like.

hey_moe
October 17th, 2012, 13:54
I got the Ipad and really like it. I also brought the myfi/G4 for the Ipad. I haven't had any problems with it and it does everything I need it to do and it is very easy to read.

rayrey10
October 17th, 2012, 16:29
hey_moe - have you use a stylus with your iPad?

Daveroo
October 17th, 2012, 16:57
sportys pilot shop has a "kneeboard" thing for the IPad,for pilots ofcourse..but it makes me want the Ipad someday,so when i go to airshows,car races,military vehical meets,car shows,i can strap it to my knee,and have it at hand while in scoot around in my Jazzy 614HD power chair.....WHEEEEEEEEE

Odie
October 18th, 2012, 23:00
I got the Ipad and really like it. I also brought the myfi/G4 for the Ipad. I haven't had any problems with it and it does everything I need it to do and it is very easy to read.

Ditto on the iPad, moe. I got the wifi 64 gig version of the original. Never had anything Mac before and it works as advertised. I use it when I travel for entertainment in the hotel room. The only complaint I have is that
iTunes is way too easy to use! Point, click, buy....wait to hear the wife holler when the bill comes in.... Bought my son and his wife the iPad2 and they use it for everything...

hey_moe
October 19th, 2012, 02:37
Yes I have and it responds just as fast as using your finger.I brought the wife one too and she uses it 95% of the time vs her tower pooter.
hey_moe - have you use a stylus with your iPad?

stiz
October 19th, 2012, 06:02
dont spose anyone has the nexus do they?? I've been looking for a cheapish tablet that i can use for reading pdfs, play games on etc (not fussed about movies or music, thats what my PCs for :) ) and it seems to be the best in my price range (ipads just to expensive!)

hey_moe
October 19th, 2012, 09:23
The one I got is the first generation one, I am thinking of getting rid of it and replacing it with the newest model. Da wife almost peed her panties when I said I was dumping it....lol
dont spose anyone has the nexus do they?? I've been looking for a cheapish tablet that i can use for reading pdfs, play games on etc (not fussed about movies or music, thats what my PCs for :) ) and it seems to be the best in my price range (ipads just to expensive!)

TeaSea
October 19th, 2012, 15:25
I'm not an Apple guy, but I do love my Ipad. I purchased it specifically to do flight management and loaded ForeFlight software. Coupled with an external "Dual" GPS, this is about as simple as technology gets in terms of user intuitiveness and usability. It just works.

I no longer buy charts.

Having said that, keep in mind ALL tablet devices are essentially consumptions devices. In other words, you don't PRODUCE with this device, you CONSUME. Sure, you can take notes and pictures and such stuff, but for real productivity you must have a keyboard, a large screen, and a decent mouse (at least currently).

Extra devices I have purchased have included a Bluetooth speaker and a Bluetooth keyboard, as well as the aforementioned Kneeboard Cover from Sporty's.

rayrey10
October 20th, 2012, 14:31
I'm 95% sure that I will be buying the iPad. I am going to wait until after Tuesday to make sure that Apple ain't pulling a fast one on me. If it's just a smaller iPad, I'll go with the big one.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 was nice but it had noticeable lag loading apps and when you switched between apps. The stylus was cool but they make some 3d party ones that decent enough for the iPad

Cazzie
October 20th, 2012, 17:17
My wife and both boys have iPads; wife's is original, kids are iPad 2s. I did not like them, especially the iPad 2, because the thinness and lightness are just not for a real man's hands. I looked at the Samsung Galaxy 10.1, which has an SD slot, but looked cheap and felt cheap. I then tried a Toshiba Thrive Android tablet. Loved it, still performs flawless, upgraded from Honeycomb 3.1 to 3.2, then two weeks ago it took all night to upgrade to Android Snow cone 4.0. The Thrive not only has an SD slot for camera cards, but a USB 2.0 slot, an HDMI, and a mini-HDMI slot. Now, it's the bee's knees. I would not trade this tablet for a laptop any day! But the kicker that sold me on the Thrive; it is made in Japan, not China. I got mine at Radio Shack, test one out before considering the new Galaxy Notebook tablet or the new iPad. Android has a cheap Photoshop app called Photoshop Touch, so I can edit photos in the field and upload them.

Caz

rayrey10
October 25th, 2012, 15:41
Thanx Caz! I'll check it out. I still have to wait for Apple to release the latest iPad.

Roadburner440
October 25th, 2012, 17:23
I have the iPad and for the most part I love it... My father in law has bought almost every other tablet on the market because it was cheaper, and he did not want to pay the iPad price. Needless to say with all of the tablets he has bought/tried he has spent more than buying the single iPad. That being said my only gripe with it is whenever they do an OS update it usually screws up some of my apps. Granted that is not Apple's fault, but it is still an inconvenience if the app developer spends days or weeks to get the updates out. Other than that it is a great device. I have the iPad 2. If you can find one for a good deal I would get one of those instead of the new ones. Read a lot of reports about the new ones getting pretty hot when charging/being used. Hardware wise my 2nd generation one has been flawless so I think overall it is a solid choice as long as they quite coming out with all of these OS updates... I still have not updated to OS6 after OS5 messed it up the last time, and I get tired of seeing the update available message everytime I start it up.

bobmay
October 25th, 2012, 17:25
I have just bought a brilliant pad. You can write on it with an ordinary pen or pencil, it uses no batteries or mains connector and the writing is permanent. It cost about a dollar so when it's full I can easily buy another one.
It's writing surface is called paper, dunno if it will catch on. :icon_lol:

TeaSea
October 26th, 2012, 12:02
I have just bought a brilliant pad. You can write on it with an ordinary pen or pencil, it uses no batteries or mains connector and the writing is permanent. It cost about a dollar so when it's full I can easily buy another one.

What, those fancy new fangled papery things!!

Get back to basics. Stylus and a ball of clay! :jump:

rayrey10
November 10th, 2012, 03:43

Yeah those work great and are super reliable but I have a drawer full of them that I need to keep, so that I can reference them.

Anyways, I ended up purchasing the 4th generation iPad. IMHO none of the other tablets could keep up with the iPad. It was more expensive than most but I much as I detest spending $, it was the best choice. I also purchased the LifeProof case for it.

Now I need to find a good note taking app.

KellyB
November 10th, 2012, 04:38

Not if today's schools have their way.
When chatting with the local middle school's assistant principal, I was told that cursive writing is no longer taught because it has been found to be too stressful for the children!
When I regained my ability to speak, I suggested to him that is the very process of "stressing" the little brats with new things and skills that he calls his job, i.e., teaching.

Got a blank stare.

I congratulated him for his contribution to the future of Idiocrasy.

Naismith
November 10th, 2012, 13:19
I see from the Daily Fail the Microsofts new one is getting some criticism

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2230959/Microsoft-Surface-Tablet-Outrage-screens-new-gadgets-break-days-use.html

Naismith
November 10th, 2012, 13:21
it is made in Japan, not China.
Caz
That is a huge selling point as far as I am concerned. I make a point of avoiding Chinese manufactured fastdestructware. Thankyou.

clmooring
November 11th, 2012, 07:25
i have a an asus transformer prime android tablet. I love it even though the gps doesnt work well. It does have a very nice attachable/detachable keyboard. I use it for work and home. I use microsoft outlook, office and notes on my office computer and have very good android products on my tablet that allow me to switch between to the pc and tablet almost seamlessly.

However, if I were to going to purchase a tablet today, particularly for work, I think I would have to look very closely at the new windows 8 products. I use MS Notes quite a bit at work and and that is the one product that there is not a good android compatible product.... even MS's android product is very lacking.

Yes, I think I would check out the Microsoft 8 tablets and touchscreen products if the the tablet is to be used for work.