PDA

View Full Version : Canada Arctic ?

CG_1976
October 16th, 2012, 10:40
Ok I have a ? for members here. I have on my HD Canada's Arctic Dewline and NWS area's half done in FSX. Any one interested by chance should I release the Arctic with fury of a polar bear? The other ? what would you like to see evolve from Canadian Arctic scenry development? Now I'm going back my QW RJ100 Canadian North fun around Polaris, Little Cornwallis Island.

Meshman
October 16th, 2012, 11:59
I have, uh... "something" on my HD for Canada and while looking at it I am amazed at how poorly the "less populous" areas are in default FSX. I mean r-e-a-l-l-y poorly done. So anything you can do to improve over default would be a plus for the community.

Shane Strong CYHZ
October 16th, 2012, 15:42
would love to see anything for canada's artic

RyanJames170
October 16th, 2012, 15:53
i would love to see some good canada north and good stuff for evan the great lakes as well

CG_1976
October 16th, 2012, 16:22
Well I've got locations all along the Arctic Ocean area's and at current going thru Flight1 Object maker manual and in process of transfering 100's of my pics to scenry developers (Freeware) I'm a protective Arctic Canuk of the North. Will have something to show soon. I gots to finish my boeing kidnapping of the 787 for Canadian North.
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l519/CAF440/11.jpg

lazarus
October 16th, 2012, 19:39
Release it! I'll make a helipad for the Louis St Laurent

CG_1976
October 16th, 2012, 19:57
Ok Ive found a nice Arctic Scenery covering Yukon, NWT and Nunavut for the base. Gilles Gauthier did some excellent work and in his Yukon Komokuk Beach NWS is located and Shingle Point. Can be downloaded here http://okad.ca/cvq/relief.php and you can grab CYPC Paulatuk here http://okad.ca/cvq/scenes.php and Dont forget Flight Ontario did CYHY Hay River and they fit into Gilles works. Im now going thru locations and RW polar Grid maps of the NWS and starting up the ADE. Opps forgot Sidney Schwartz's CYFB Iqaluit loves Gilles work also. Gotta love the Yellow terminal.

fliger747
October 17th, 2012, 17:53
My first visit to Iqaluit was in a C-130, and boy did we have fun with grid nav.... We also did sone somewhat secret work landing on the pack ice North of Alaska. More recently the over the pole flights we do from time to time now in the 747 are much more prosaic with up to date navigational capability, though the GPS poops out at about 85N. I do like flying the country when it is clear, or daylight, a combination sometimes hard to bring together.

Wishes for good work! T

monk1
October 17th, 2012, 18:33
What fantastic news. I'd given up hope this area would ever be done. Count me in!!!

vora
October 18th, 2012, 02:38
So Gille Gauthier's terrains are a better choice than UTX Canada then?
I'm asking because I normally use the UTX/GEX combo since I'm flying mostly in PFJ/Tongass and the transition from OrbX to UTX/GEX is rather good (also their upcoming Southern Alaska will cover some of southern Yukon around Whitehorse).

CG_1976
October 18th, 2012, 06:08
Who is doing this "upcoming Southern Alaska will cover some of southern Yukon around Whitehorse" FTX or UTX? I'd trust in FTX over UTX. But i'm not giving up the shoots of CYXY to any payware, that goes to freeware development. As to interference I'd have ask Holger about Gilles's Yukon Extreme to FTX. Im actually surprised that there including S.Yukon. I would have thought maybe western edge Yukon clipping. Guess NWT will have to get the duck tape and rope Yukon back over:icon_lol::icon_lol: and stick them permanent to Territorial Canada:a1089:. How dare they get loose.

vora
October 19th, 2012, 03:51
OrbX is doing Southern Alaska (SAK), so it's Holger's work, though I suspect it still will be a year away (UTX has already published their Alaska and Canada).
Since I can't find the thread anymore here is the SAK coverage that Holger had posted:

Normally I do not venture outside "Holgerland" (PFJ, NRM, Tongass) but I have UTX Canada/GEX North America for the parts of BC which are not covered by OrbX.
I currently base out of Ketchikan, Steward, Prince Rupert and Prince George, and I want to add Whitehorse to this list. Since it is highly unlikely that OrbX will go further north to the tundra zone the question is: UTX Canada or Gauthier's terrains. When I have enough time I will test it out.

Edit: finally found the thread: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/46712-southern-alaska-tongass-fjords/#entry409664

BeaverDriver
October 19th, 2012, 04:08
This is GREAT news about you doing the Canadian Arctic! I worked (flying a 185 and Beaver) out of Great Bear Lake for a season and regularly got up to the coast (this is 30 years ago now though) and loved flying up there. As noted, the default rendition of the continental and archipelago portions of the arctic are terrible, even with UTX. Anything you could do to improve that would be outstanding.

I noted too, the reference to SAK. It seems to have dropped off the radar entirely in favour of the UK, which is disappointing to say the least. It will only cover the very southwestern part of the Territories (the Yukon only, at that) so you wouldn't be duplicating work here by any stretch, and even so, SAK is likely a very long way off, if it's even on the books still. So with that in mind, go for it :applause:

Glenn

vora
October 19th, 2012, 04:33
...I noted too, the reference to SAK. It seems to have dropped off the radar entirely in favour of the UK, which is disappointing to say the least. It will only cover the very southwestern part of the Territories (the Yukon only, at that) so you wouldn't be duplicating work here by any stretch, and even so, SAK is likely a very long way off, if it's even on the books still. So with that in mind, go for it :applause:

Glenn

OrbX actually has an extra UK development team which is doing the British Isles. Also, Oceania is now finished region-wise, so there should be some room for NA regions.

The next FTX region will obviously be England (ENG) and then probably Northern California (NCA). After that my bets are on SAK.
IMHO what went off the radar are SRM (Southern Rocky Mountains) and NEM (New England - Maritimes).
See JV's roadmap here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/44575-orbx-expansion-plans-and-roadmap-may-2012/#entry390408

CG_1976
October 19th, 2012, 08:04
Well being as Arctic Canada (Yellowknife, NWT) is my RW home, I'd go with Gilles's work. I just don't like UTX up in the Arctic. I'm trying to find the pics I have of UTX issues all over Arctic Canada. When Gilles did NWT and Nunavut it made the arctic look more real and allowed finally ease of scenery development With GEX that makes Gilles work stand out more and supplements and compliments his works perfect. Im working in a intrigation project to bring in CYEV Inuvik and CYSY Sach's Harbor. From there I'll grab Old Crow, Yukon. fliger747, Shooting the pole isn't my cup of coffee, last time was with the RCAF 440Sq and the CC138 thankfully. Have you ever had the pleasure of doing a touch and go's at CFS Alert, now there is pure nerve racking h#ll when the cross winds kick with snow and diamond dust.

Holger Sandmann
October 19th, 2012, 10:51
Hi guys,

nice to see some more scenery development in the arctic!

As fars as I know Gilles used the same GeoBase and CanVec spatial data that we're using for the Canadian portion of FTX SAK so there should be a seamless transition between the two (similarly, I don't expect any issues with UTX Canada).

Not sure why some people think that SAK and NCA are "off the radar"? We're in full-on production mode on both but they are complex products -- for different reasons -- so it takes a while to get all the features in place. Currently it looks like SAK will win the race to release over NCA...

Cheers, Holger

mike_cyul
October 19th, 2012, 11:24
Have you ever had the pleasure of doing a touch and go's at CFS Alert, now there is pure nerve racking h#ll when the cross winds kick with snow and diamond dust.

If doing Alert is an option, I was up there a few years ago (via C-130), and if you need any photos I can look around and see what I have.

Mike

BeaverDriver
October 19th, 2012, 11:36
@CG_1976 - I agree with you about UTX in the north, but it sure does look funny up there in December with all that open water :icon_lol:. If there was a way to fix that, it would sure help.

@Holger - that's very good news. I guess I didn't realize there were completely different teams working on the various regions and it had been so long since we heard anything new (and I understand that updates aren't feasible on a frequent basis given the time frame involved in making something like this) that I was afraid it had been supplanted by the UK. My apologies. WRT this project though, I think the two would enhance each other, so I still support and encourage this idea. It would sure make those flights from Iqaluit to Whitehorse more interesting :cool:.

Glenn

Brian_Gladden
October 19th, 2012, 14:06
I'm hear by volunteering for any Northern VT and some NH photography needed for the New England package....

CG_1976
October 19th, 2012, 18:28
If doing Alert is an option, I was up there a few years ago (via C-130), and if you need any photos I can look around and see what I have.

Mike

Here is a CYLT I use with Gilles Nunavut landscapes. Ive been flying around the CFS the last two days and pouring over data I have on CFS Alert and my pics. I was there at least 6 times with 440Sq not counting Operation Nanook and not always the Vampire Sq's CC138 #802. Sometimes we borrowed a Canadian North 737-200C. My airfield pics are off-limits by regulations and RCAF security as I'm still active duty with RCAF 440Sq TDA to the USCG. This scenery can be gotten at flightsim.com and I'm also waiting on a E-mail from Developer Bernhard W to use this as a base scenery and redux Alert to as real as allowed.
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l519/CAF440/CYLT.jpg

mike_cyul
October 19th, 2012, 20:21
Here is a CYLT I use with Gilles Nunavut landscapes. Ive been flying around the CFS the last two days and pouring over data I have on CFS Alert and my pics. I was there at least 6 times with 440Sq not counting Operation Nanook and not always the Vampire Sq's CC138 #802. Sometimes we borrowed a Canadian North 737-200C. My airfield pics are off-limits by regulations and RCAF security as I'm still active duty with RCAF 440Sq TDA to the USCG. This scenery can be gotten at flightsim.com and I'm also waiting on a E-mail from Developer Bernhard W to use this as a base scenery and redux Alert to as real as allowed.

If you can use my photos from six years ago (only antenna were strictly off-limits for images), just pm me. I don't have tons of photos, but do have one sequence of the immediate airport area that might perhaps help make a more accurate representation than what I think can see in the screenshot. Some shots, like the famous signpost area just at the airfield exit and some of the airport buildings, might even be good enough to make scenery textures from (?).

Mike

CG_1976
October 19th, 2012, 20:57
As soon as I get Bernards permission, I will pm you. As to pics and textures, im finding out it depends on lighting, and distance conditions when it comes to the Arctic. darn mother nature hates spilling treasure's of beauty. Just ask Whitehorse lol the most elusive for scenery. Sidney Schwartz and Pete Ham have CYZF and CYFB covered and I have them working and almost there CYRT and CYCB. My personal one Port Radium CYIX is almost ready to come out of the Cooker. Special thanks to my mates at the 440Sq for overflight pics and the pics of Ford Bay Airport and water aerodome.

vora
October 20th, 2012, 02:20
Well being as Arctic Canada (Yellowknife, NWT) is my RW home, I'd go with Gilles's work. I just don't like UTX up in the Arctic. I'm trying to find the pics I have of UTX issues all over Arctic Canada. When Gilles did NWT and Nunavut it made the arctic look more real and allowed finally ease of scenery development With GEX that makes Gilles work stand out more and supplements and compliments his works perfect. Im working in a intrigation project to bring in CYEV Inuvik and CYSY Sach's Harbor. From there I'll grab Old Crow, Yukon. fliger747, Shooting the pole isn't my cup of coffee, last time was with the RCAF 440Sq and the CC138 thankfully. Have you ever had the pleasure of doing a touch and go's at CFS Alert, now there is pure nerve racking h#ll when the cross winds kick with snow and diamond dust.

Thanks for the helpful info... looks like Gilles is the right choice.
Yellowknife is very important for me for a future river tour. Apart from RTMM I do weekslong river tours from the delta to the springs on amphibians. I already did the Mekong, now I'm preparing for the Columbia, then I want to do the Frasier. After that I plan to do the arctic MacKenzie starting in Yellowknive up to the arctic sea.

Hi guys,

nice to see some more scenery development in the arctic!

As fars as I know Gilles used the same GeoBase and CanVec spatial data that we're using for the Canadian portion of FTX SAK so there should be a seamless transition between the two (similarly, I don't expect any issues with UTX Canada).

Not sure why some people think that SAK and NCA are "off the radar"? We're in full-on production mode on both but they are complex products -- for different reasons -- so it takes a while to get all the features in place. Currently it looks like SAK will win the race to release over NCA...

Cheers, Holger

SAK before NCA? Now that's a wonderful surprise! Dease, Atlin, Glacier Bay, Alaska Range, Kenai :applause::jump:

Edit: just read Neil's post http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/49716-proposal-for-orbx/#entry438457 NEM is definitely a "go".

HighGround22
October 20th, 2012, 16:37
FWIW, Roger Wensley has done a hockey sock full (i.e., a large number!) of Arctic and northern Canada airstrips. He did them for FS9, but they work well in FSX, too.

Have a peek over at FlightSim (http://www.flightsim.com) and do a search for Roger Wensley I find his work to be very nice indeed!

CG_1976
October 20th, 2012, 16:59
FWIW, Roger Wensley has done a hockey sock full (i.e., a large number!) of Arctic and northern Canada airstrips. He did them for FS9, but they work well in FSX, too.

Have a peek over at FlightSim (http://www.flightsim.com) and do a search for Roger Wensley I find his work to be very nice indeed!

Yep excellent catch. Most will work, but remember Fs9 flat, FSX round, so DEW stations may need adjusting to FSX and some like Igloolic CYGT need some adjustments and fence eradicating and replacement. All very minor and easy to fix. I'll post some pics and instructions of how to for using Roger's beautiful works in FSX. They are excellent. If anyone here has Arctic pics for scenery and need a scenery man Roger is one I'd recommend. There is also Frits over at FsDeveloper, he did the CYVQ Valley Run pack. Back to prepping CYOA for testing.

HighGround22
October 21st, 2012, 04:38
. . . I'll post some pics and instructions of how to for using Roger's beautiful works in FSX. . . .

Ah! That'd be nice indeed, Sir.

CG_1976
October 22nd, 2012, 10:43
Ah! That'd be nice indeed, Sir.

Eh HighGround, would you like to be the first to try out Roger Wensley's Igloolic CYGT in FSX? I'm just about done with the conversion and proceeding to a new ADE and placing the Hamlet. If we have any scenery object designer's looking in I need a assit. I'm looking for 4 flags on poles. Canada, Nunavut, NWT, Yukon please. I know the Fs9 Ez flags are around but they tend to kill frames due to to alpha channels, which is beyond me atm. Any help appreciated.

FlightOntario
October 22nd, 2012, 16:54
If you can figure it out, I would use all of his scenery in FSX!!!

DaveKDEN
October 22nd, 2012, 17:09
Spent ~ 10 days flying up in the NWT in Herk's when I was in the USAF. Any improvement over stock FSX would be very welcome!

CG_1976
October 22nd, 2012, 20:08
Shouldnt be a issue with CYGT, but I am having a issue with airport elevation and ade lol. Here are a few pics. You can see the issue very clear.
According to my data and personal RW logs, i have the elevation pegged at 143FT approx.

Meshman
October 22nd, 2012, 22:03
...i have the elevation pegged at 143FT approx.

His FS9 package says the airport is at 174'. I didn't download it (yet), but if have changed the elev in FSX and made the terrain change also, then you are going to see it sitting about 30' in the air. How you fix it will depend if you want to keep the AFCAD file from FS9 or if you will be staying with your FSX airport file.

CG_1976
October 22nd, 2012, 23:02
Well that sounds like FS9 flat compared to curvature FSX world. Yah Im trying to build a FSX ADE. As you can tell I have the object mystery solved. So it's a matter of the CYGT ADE and that 143ft elevation. I just check Gille's Nunavut Landscapes and didnt see any conflictive ADE's or AFX. Nor any Alternate ALT's for World Scenery thing. How ever this could be cured if I had a way to add FSX's Tundra LC to the Apron material list lol and I mean it as it's the Arctic. But I also managed to add Cariboo and Polar Bears.

CG_1976
October 23rd, 2012, 10:43
While taking a break on CYGT, why not grab the neighbor CYUX Hall Beach. Hall Beach should be easier to deal with as Igloolik sits above the hamlet. Milviz The arctic awaits you to erupt with the 737:jump: and Milton to grace us with the revamped Dash 7 Combi. now if only there was a FSX native Dash8-100 and AT42, 72.

CG_1976
October 27th, 2012, 23:12
Roger Wensly who made many Arctic sceneries in Fs9 just made my jaw drop just as Sidney made mine drop with his CYZF 2010. Now Roger did my Beaver stomping home gounds in Yellowknife the Wateraerodome. It also doubles as a ski dome RW when the lake is frozen. Now I got it in FSX and also into ADEX. This one will be the 1st of his sceneries to release to fit FSX. Why not it's my home and home airport. Get ready to enjoy Old town and Wildcats cafe and Air Tindi HQ.