PDA

View Full Version : FSTramp???

falcon409
October 14th, 2012, 12:20
I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth here, but after using this new offering from the originator of FSNav. . . . .welllll. I keep going back to the price for FSNav ($42) and everything it was able to do. . .again. . .the most used function (by me at least and others based on some posts in a previous thread) was the ability to set up a multi-waypoint flight plan. That option is not available here, yet there are freeware programs that have that function. With FSTramp you must setup your flightplan using the FSX "Flightplanner", then open FSTramp and it is visible there, but you can't make any changes to it once it's there. I was siding with taking this once payday rolls around, but that single flaw is just too much to ignore. Going back to the price ($42), this is less than what we had with FSNav and I'm going to pass on the purchase.

I think it's great that he has brought this to the FSX community, but in my opinion he fell short by not incorporating what was a very versatile portion of his original program. If, in the future, he finds it advantageous to his sales to include flight planning in an update, then I will jump on it in a heartbeat.:salute:

FSX68
October 14th, 2012, 13:36
I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth here, but after using this new offering from the originator of FSNav. . . . .welllll. I keep going back to the price for FSNav ($42) and everything it was able to do. . .again. . .the most used function (by me at least and others based on some posts in a previous thread) was the ability to set up a multi-waypoint flight plan. That option is not available here, yet there are freeware programs that have that function. With FSTramp you must setup your flightplan using the FSX "Flightplanner", then open FSTramp and it is visible there, but you can't make any changes to it once it's there. I was siding with taking this once payday rolls around, but that single flaw is just too much to ignore. Going back to the price ($42), this is less than what we had with FSNav and I'm going to pass on the purchase.

I think it's great that he has brought this to the FSX community, but in my opinion he fell short by not incorporating what was a very versatile portion of his original program. If, in the future, he finds it advantageous to his sales to include flight planning in an update, then I will jump on it in a heartbeat.:salute:

What are the other programs out there that will function the same or perhaps better? I remember in an earlier thread on this subject there was some one who used a program that
was a workaround this one.

mal998
October 14th, 2012, 13:56
I agree with Falcon, this program lacks some important features. However I did buy it and have already made 2 very nice flights, one from Ft. Lauerdale to Austin and one today from Ft. Lauderdale to Baltimore. Both flights followed the plan once it was setup in FSX's flight planner. I just clicked on the flight plan button in FSTramp (hate the name) and away we went. You can set up a flight plan with waypoints but in order to change them you do have to go back to the flight planner and delete what you don't want and save a new flight plan. All in all, it did what I asked it to do so I'm a happy camper. I do agree, the price is too high but since I haven't spent any money on FSX in quite a while, I went for it.

Hopefully at some point, the developer will stop by SOH and read some of the comments, and if we're lucky, he will add some of the missing features back into the product. I guess I'm just an optimist at heart.

AussieMan
October 14th, 2012, 13:59
What are the other programs out there that will function the same or perhaps better? I remember in an earlier thread on this subject there was some one who used a program that
was a workaround this one.

Two that come to mind are Flightsim Commander (Payware) and PlanG (Freeware)

Naismith
October 14th, 2012, 14:33
Have to say. his time has passed for me at least unless he can improve on the functionality. I use FSCommander and Plan G networked nowadays and they are superior to Nav if a little inconvenient at times (haveing to fire up 2 PC's). Still using Nav in FS9 though.

falcon409
October 14th, 2012, 15:13
Have to say. his time has passed for me at least unless he can improve on the functionality. I use FSCommander and Plan G networked nowadays and they are superior to Nav if a little inconvenient at times (haveing to fire up 2 PC's). Still using Nav in FS9 though.
I also had FSCommander but found it too bulky for the type of flying I do (no commercial flying at all) I would almost have to say it had "too many functions", most of which I never used. As for Plan-G. . .excellent freeware program that has everything I want but runs slower than molasses in the winter. By the time I can get it to zoom in several times I've flown an additional 100nm and don't need the zoom any more, then I have to wait for it to catch up to where I am, ridiculously slow.

Naismith
October 14th, 2012, 22:37
Also Plan-G is not so attractive now since he had to change from Google Maps. I have retained the older version.

AussieMan
October 15th, 2012, 01:02
The thing I liked about FSNav was the fact it gave you an idea of where the TOC and the BOD was.

kdl
June 27th, 2016, 01:30
FSTramp v6.2 now freeware:

- fstramp620free.zip

http://library.avsim.net/whatsnew.php?From=&ScanMode=0&CatSort=0&Page=2

http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=195761

Bjoern
June 27th, 2016, 01:41
This is only a moving map derivative, but looks fairly useful for VFR flyers.

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=root&SearchTerm=fstramp&Sort=Added&ScanMode=0&Go=Change+View

kdl
June 27th, 2016, 01:44
Oh yes, you are right, I've been please too early.

falcon409
June 27th, 2016, 02:54
I can't believe Helge has decided to make FSTramp a free program. Especially after his turn-around to make it a fee-based program earlier this year. However in reading the manual, especially the section on "Planning" is does refer to the ability to "drag and drop" waypoints into the plan window at the top, which was the final addition to his original utility and the point at which he decided to require a limited use fee based on his payment schedule. Based on the Manual it appears to be the full product. Either that or he zipped up the basic manual without regard to the fact that some functions were not active in this free version. Curious.

If anyone decides to install this, if you could report on your findings it would be helpful. The planning portion would be the most important area to verify.

Naismith
June 27th, 2016, 11:55
Before I go upsetting my sim (which appears to be quite stable at the moment) I wonder how it is in affect FPS. I found in FS9 that its predecessor did have an impact although that was on old equipment especially when the SIDS & STARS files were included. Though I was very fond of that program in its day.

spokes2112
June 28th, 2016, 04:38
Hi Ed,

Just installed the free (map only) version. It's a very nice gift. Very useful for VFR, "just going to fly somewhere" type of flying. Basically all it does is display the pay FStramp map except the 2 maps are not independent in settings, no biggie, it shows the FS created GPS plan w/ direction/distances but is not in any way modifiable. Right mouse click (w/left click & release - cancel zoom) dir/dist measurements are still available. "Fly to here" (set ap heading) & "Skip to here" (Rt. Click) are still available while in the air otherwise there are no other autopilot/radio interfaces IE follow route. Tooltips on nav sources/feqs/runways etc.. is still available. On my system it has a light frame drop of ~ 4 fps occurring every few seconds but only when undocked on the second monitor, docked it has no effect. Really liked FSNav for FS9 and would do FSTramp for FSX if it weren't for the payment policy. Running Plan-G on my FS machine while FS is running is a no-no, it is otherwise networked to my laptop so having FSTramp free is a nice fill in..

Edit - it comes with AIRAC 1606

Hopefully drag/drop planning is going to be available to you in an update.. (as long as it doesn't require more $)
Edit again - Hard to say Ed - http://fstramp.internetshop.cc/download/history.txt
HMMM? I wonder if V5 is now available as freeware? http://fstramp.internetshop.cc/download5.html

falcon409
June 28th, 2016, 04:59
Hi Ed,

Just installed the free (map only) version. It's a very nice gift. Very useful for VFR, "just going to fly somewhere" type of flying. Basically all it does is display the pay FStramp map except the 2 maps are not independent in settings, no biggie, it shows the FS created GPS plan w/ direction/distances but is not in any way modifiable. Right mouse click (w/left click & release - cancel zoom) dir/dist measurements are still available. "Fly to here" (set ap heading) & "Skip to here" (Rt. Click) are still available while in the air otherwise there are no other autopilot/radio interfaces IE follow route. Tooltips on nav sources/feqs/runways etc.. is still available. On my system it has a light frame drop of ~ 4 fps occurring every few seconds but only when undocked on the second monitor, docked it has no effect. Really liked FSNav for FS9 and would do FSTramp for FSX if it weren't for the payment policy. Running Plan-G on my FS machine while FS is running is a no-no, it is otherwise networked to my laptop so having FSTramp free is a nice fill in..

Edit - it comes with AIRAC 1606

Hopefully drag/drop planning is going to be available to you in an update.. (as long as it doesn't require more $)
Edit again - Hard to say Ed - http://fstramp.internetshop.cc/download/history.txt
HMMM? I wonder if V5 is now available as freeware? http://fstramp.internetshop.cc/download5.html
I can tell ya from dealing with Helge in the past. . .he won't allow Drag n' Drop planning as a free update. That was the icing on the cake for the 6.2 version that went to a time limited purchase plan. So this free version will stay as is. As for any of the 5.x versions, last I remember (I'm back using version 5.6. . .Flight Sim Commander was a waste of money for the type of flying I do and what I'm comfortable with) any of those versions were fully functional with the key that you got when it was purchased, for as long as you use it. Not Free though, it will still advise that you have 20 sessions before you must either register the program or it stops functioning.

AussieMan
June 29th, 2016, 15:32
Here is the description of the file on flightsim.com:

FSX Utility--FSTrampFree 6.2 for FSX, FSX-SE, Prepar3D v2/3. FSTrampFree is a moving map and derived from the flight planner FSTramp. It shows, without internet access, the world map with mountains, airports, navigation aids, aircraft and flight plan. In addition to the mouse pointer, the surface elevation is displayed. The app is an integrated module for the simulator and can be activated by pressing Shift+Ctrl+F12. With the context menu, you can move the aircraft at any point or let it fly to any point.<strike></strike>