PDA

View Full Version : AMD Radeon ramdisc

Daveroo
October 13th, 2012, 09:54
has anyone seen this?..ive read the thing and dont get it....hows it supposed to work..remember im ADD/ADHD,(yes at 50)ive read this page several times and still dont really understand what it is or does..

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/radeon-memory/Pages/ramdisk-overview.aspx?elq=1bd59bcbc9e4443093aff42c7c14bf7f&elqCampaignId=780

i do understand the claim it will make things faster ect....i dont understand HOW

Naismith
October 13th, 2012, 10:33
I'm thinking it must be similar to the USB thumb drives which you can plonk in the PC and allegedly speed it up. I am doing that very thing right now with a SanDisk thumb drive I picked up in CostCo the other day. Stuck it in the front panel, PC asked do you want to use this drive to improve performance? I answered yes, but I but cannot say it actually does make any difference, not one that I can easily detect anyhow.

Stan V.
October 13th, 2012, 10:49
has anyone seen this?..ive read the thing and dont get it....hows it supposed to work..remember im ADD/ADHD,(yes at 50)ive read this page several times and still dont really understand what it is or does..

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/radeon-memory/Pages/ramdisk-overview.aspx?elq=1bd59bcbc9e4443093aff42c7c14bf7f&elqCampaignId=780

i do understand the claim it will make things faster ect....i dont understand HOW

Daveroo,

This implementation uses a memory-to-memory process that mimics a hard disk operation and uses the same software interface to the application as a hard disk does, but because the transfer is electronic and not mechanical, it works much faster. Remember. for a hardware disk to retrieve/write information, it must first allow that part of a spinning platter containing the requested information to rotate underneath the read/write heads and the speed of that depends on the rotational rate and head movement speed of the disk hardware. Although disk makers can speed up their processes by anticipating what information will be needed off the disk and reading ahead, it still involves a less-than-perfect prediction game which invariably will be slower than a direct memory-to-memory transfer on demand. Hope the explanation helps.