PDA

View Full Version : Will we ever see a native Lockheed P38?

OleBoy
October 11th, 2012, 13:40
I have brought up this subject in the past, and I know there are a portover or two. Not what I am looking for to be honest.
I think this topic transpired last year. Back then there was a developer 'working' on one.

Does anyone know anything about a native?
Mums the word :icon_lol:

Mathias
October 11th, 2012, 13:50
The Flightsim Developers P-38 by Kevin 'Gibbage' Miller is native FSX, and it's a beauty at that.

Dangerousdave26
October 11th, 2012, 14:25
Yes it is a nice one

http://www.fsd-international.com/Hangar/P38/index.htm

OleBoy
October 11th, 2012, 14:29
You two may be refreshing my memory. Was the FSD model the same one as the Just Flight model? And wasn't there a demo available?
I think I may have downloaded and tested this one last year.

Not that I answered my previous question, although I did find this demo after quite a bit of Googling! http://www.justflight.com/demos

PRB
October 11th, 2012, 15:00
The Sky Unlimited P-38, the FSX one, isn't a port over. It doesn't get a lot of love here, but as a card carrying member of the "P-38 Nut Club", I like it.

- Paul

Dain Arns
October 11th, 2012, 15:00
SkyUnlimited has a very nice set of Native FSX P-38's as well.
http://www.skyunlimited.net/p38_fsx.htm

I have these and the FSD ones, and enjoy all.

EDIT: Posted at the same time as PRB...JINX! :icon_lol:

thefrog
October 11th, 2012, 15:02
Sorry to butt in but I have got all the P-38s and the FSD/Milviz one is very very nice indeed (not the same as the JF model)
Dave

Roger
October 11th, 2012, 15:08
How did you miss it OB?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/p38fsd-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/p38fsd-2.jpg

OleBoy
October 11th, 2012, 15:08
Now I'm confused. FSD, SkyUnlimited, and Justflight.

Kevin Miller did the modeling of the one released by FSD
Kevin Miller also did the modeling of the one released by SkyUnlimited?
Then, where, or who, ahh heck. Who is the one sold by Justflight modeled by.
Added: FSD is MilViz?

Who's who? :isadizzy:
I'm going to take up drinking by the weekend at this rate. :monkies:

Mathias
October 11th, 2012, 15:13
Correct, Kevin did both the FSD and the SU models.
The FSD model is the more recent and probably the more up to current standards version of the two.
No relation to Milviz other than that they cooperated with some releases in the past (FSD and Milviz that is).
At Justflight you'll find portovers made by Aeroplane Heaven if I understand it correctly.

OleBoy
October 11th, 2012, 15:14
How did you miss it OB?

I thought you knew me by now. I'm a repainter lost in my own canvas. Like a groundhog to winter. :icon_lol:

Roadburner440
October 11th, 2012, 15:15
The P-38 at Just Flight was modeled/coded by Aeroplane Heaven to be marketed on Just Flight. Kevin did the modeling on the one for FSD as it was done in conjunction with us (Milviz) while we were partnered with FSD. I have all variants plus the Sky Unlimited series with the later models. I am partial to our (FSD/Milviz) P-38. However I do have a ton of hours in the Just Flight P-38 from a round the world flight I did with her. You ask me is just up to where you want your money to go. The Sky Unlimited birds are a good bang for the buck. The Just Flight model blew me away the first time I flew it.. The FSD/Milviz P-38 you get both a WWII variant and a modern cockpit variant if you are in to doing current day flying. So is really just up to what you want. P-38 is one of my favorite birds though, and any time a new one comes out I have to get it even though I already have so many versions. Doesn't look like there are anymore coming though so my wallet should be safe.

EDIT: FSD is not Milviz. It is a seperate entity. When we first were getting started there was not much experience in FSX/coding. So Tom did a lot to help and teach us. So hopefully that clarifies things a little bit. We partnered with a lot of people over the years.

Mach3DS
October 11th, 2012, 15:16
FSD P-38 was modeled by Milviz IIRC.

PRB
October 11th, 2012, 15:18
As to the FSD one, I like the modern cockpit "Red Bull" one the best. Beautiful VC, one of the best ever.

- Paul

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p575/GHJ9854/FS/FSD_P-38_1.jpg

OleBoy
October 11th, 2012, 15:33
This is GREAT info. Everyone. All of you coming together here reveals answers to a LOT of questions. Not only for myself, but I am sure there are plenty of others who have wondered.
As for my choice, I think best to keep this to myself. Out of consideration to all the developers in a/the P-38.

Thanks go out to all of you who responded. :wavey:
By the way, I remember now. My interest (last year) came from interest in the Lockheed P-61. Another GREAT twin. This is where it all started.

robert41
October 11th, 2012, 15:40
I have the FSD P38 also. Great model. I really like the gauges on the war version, they have a unique look and "feel" to them.

OleBoy
October 11th, 2012, 16:59
I've added the Lockheed P-38 variants to my "Buy On Sale<>Budget" list if that ever comes.

krazycolin
October 11th, 2012, 17:17
Well, it's not on sale but, we are redoing this bird as we speak... not the model so much but we are removing all of the FSD DRM's, hooks, code and having Bernt do a new FDE as well as adding RXP capability (a la B-55) for the modern vc version...

We are making it our own...

Thanks for the space....

Stickshaker
October 13th, 2012, 02:30
That is good news, Colin! In another thread the suggestion was made that you might redo the YF-23 also. Is that true?

roger-wilco-66
October 13th, 2012, 02:37
Well, it's not on sale but, we are redoing this bird as we speak... not the model so much but we are removing all of the FSD DRM's, hooks, code and having Bernt do a new FDE as well as adding RXP capability (a la B-55) for the modern vc version...

Thanks for the space....

These are excellent news!!

Cheers,
Mark

Ferry_vO
October 13th, 2012, 02:42
The Sky Unlimited P-38, the FSX one, isn't a port over. It doesn't get a lot of love here, but as a card carrying member of the "P-38 Nut Club", I like it.

I don't have the FSD Lightning, mainly due to the complicated install and registration procedure, but, like Paul, I do like the Sky Unlimited P-38! After Stiz did the FsX conversion and an upgrade it is now a great aircraft to fly!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/fsscr410.jpg

Comes with a 'Yippee' too!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/Yippee4.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/Yippee.jpg

stiz
October 13th, 2012, 03:01
Now I'm confused. FSD, SkyUnlimited, and Justflight.

Kevin Miller did the modeling of the one released by FSD
Kevin Miller also did the modeling of the one released by SkyUnlimited?
Then, where, or who, ahh heck. Who is the one sold by Justflight modeled by.
Added: FSD is MilViz?

Who's who? :isadizzy:
I'm going to take up drinking by the weekend at this rate. :monkies:

to be exact :)

Kevin did the modeling of the FSD one and the older Sky Unlimited one that was done for fs9, i did the native fsx conversion (of the SU one) as well as as repainting it, codeing and a bit of remodeling etc. Aeroplane Heaven did the Just flight one and its not a native FSX model but a port over of their old FS9 one. FSD and Milvis are separate developers, i believe FSD commissioned Milvis to do the P38.

Should clear it up :wavey:

bstolle
October 13th, 2012, 03:18
FSD and Milvis are separate developers, i believe FSD commissioned Milvis to do the P38.

Due to your signatures request: It's Milviz ;)

krazycolin
October 13th, 2012, 04:24
FSD didn't commission the P-38. We did. We then asked FSD to do the code base, manual and distribution. There were... difficulties. Those were the main reason that we decided to do all of the code, sounds, manuals and distribution on our own...

The P-38 is being done as we speak... And we are adding RXP compatibility to the modern (red bull) version...which should make it a REALLY good cross country bird. Much better than any single engined could be.

The YF-23... not sure yet. To be honest, sales were far less than spectacular on that one... Maybe it was too clean... too simple? I don't know but...

roger-wilco-66
October 13th, 2012, 04:38
Colin, if your P-38 will be in the same league (I mean visually and functional) as the F-86 I'll need a wig because of pulling my hair out due to not being able to wait.

Question, please forgive my ignorance, what is RXP)

Best,
Mark

krazycolin
October 13th, 2012, 05:03
The P-38 will be essentially the same as it is now with some stuff added to make it more... interesting.

RXP are addons that do GPS as well as other things... (3rd party stuff for the modern crowd...)

MudMarine
October 13th, 2012, 07:08
Buy P3D and get a P-38 included in the package.

krazycolin
October 13th, 2012, 07:12
True enough but it's not the MV one....

And the newer version will work in P3D as well...

OleBoy
October 13th, 2012, 07:15
Buy P3D and get a P-38 included in the package.

I've been so wrapped up in finalizing my repaints that I've only seen the default aircraft when P3D loads. From there I've always loaded what I'm working on.
I'm off to check out that P-38! :running:

Thanks for the heads up.

DaveWG
October 13th, 2012, 07:18
The P38 in P3d is the Just Flight one. It's a port-over, not native.

OleBoy
October 13th, 2012, 07:37
The P38 in P3d is the Just Flight one. It's a port-over, not native.

I had a look at it. Yep, it is a port over. :pop4: NEXT! :icon_lol:

fsxar177
October 13th, 2012, 09:54
+1 For the FSD Lightning, Excellent

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb331/fsxar177/prairiep381.jpg
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb331/fsxar177/prairiep382.jpg

Joseph

whitney17
October 13th, 2012, 11:41

Thanks for the space....

If your'e re-doing it, please make the flap lever in the cockpit move when you control the flaps from your HOTAS. Your P-38 is the only plane Ive ever seen that dosen't do that. Also please change the gun fire command from the brake (.) command. You might ask Stitz how to do that, since he used the afterburner command on the SU P-38.

Thanks,

Joe

krazycolin
October 13th, 2012, 12:14
Whilst I have no issues with changing the flap lever, the gun is an issue... seeing as usually the . key is the trigger. However, we will arrange it such that the . will work on brakes when you have wheels on the ground and guns when not.

How does that sound?

whitney17
October 13th, 2012, 15:13
Whilst I have no issues with changing the flap lever, the gun is an issue... seeing as usually the . key is the trigger. However, we will arrange it such that the . will work on brakes when you have wheels on the ground and guns when not.

How does that sound?

Fair enough, if that stops my toe brakes from firing the guns. But why is the "." key usually the trigger, it wasn't on the SU P-38. It seem that using it just complicates things. There are many commands that are seldom used or have unassigned keys, why not use one of them instead of the brake command that every plane and everyone uses?

If your solution works it looks like I'll have to buy another P-38. I hope it does.

By the way, I picked up your T-38A and F-15E during the sale. I haven't had a lot of time to get into them, but they look great!

Joe

roger-wilco-66
October 13th, 2012, 15:32
I really like the FSD P-38, it has a very good 3D model (obviously thanks to Milviz):

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58324394/images/p-38j-rabaul.jpg

MudMarine
October 13th, 2012, 16:03
I have the SU P-38's and the FSD. I like the SU flight model much more. Both are nice but my taste leans towards the SU Bolt. JMO

fliger747
October 13th, 2012, 17:07
Given enough data and comments to work with Bernt will do a super job on the flight dynamics.

T

krazycolin
October 13th, 2012, 17:51
The trigger is used to fire the guns because that's what triggers are for on warplanes...

We will do the change. As well, I will ask the coder to allow for changing the key for that... (this is a big MAYBE).

whitney17
October 14th, 2012, 13:46
The trigger is used to fire the guns because that's what triggers are for on warplanes...

We will do the change. As well, I will ask the coder to allow for changing the key for that... (this is a big MAYBE).

Thanks,

Joe

Stickshaker
October 15th, 2012, 11:16
The YF-23... not sure yet. To be honest, sales were far less than spectacular on that one... Maybe it was too clean... too simple? I don't know but...

Well, the cockpit looked a bit 'sterile' to me, not very immersive and state of the art. Still, I like the plane and would certainly buy an upgraded one. Perhaps we could open a separate thread for comments on the YF-23 and what people would like in an upgrade?

krazycolin
October 15th, 2012, 12:43
I'm willing to listen.

Ian Warren
October 15th, 2012, 17:15
JanKees the master of the brush has six liveries over at OZx .. wwwaussiex.org , the FSD P-38 model , Page 28 and near bottom of the page :cool: