PDA

View Full Version : If this don't beat all

hey_moe
October 11th, 2012, 08:32
Yesterday I got a email from Suntrust Bank that stated one of my transaction had been rejected. It had the transaction number...ect..ect. It also had a MS Word DOC. For viewing the transaction if I want to review the transaction. I opened it up and the page was blank and said I need to install Java to view it. Something wasn't right here. I called da wife at the bank and she said Suntrust has never done anything like that to any of their clients. She then asked me for the email address from the sender. Well that was it.....some crap-o-la email. Linda said in all likley hood I downloaded a virus. Lucky for me it didn't open but I formatted my pooter last night. I didn't wanna take a chance. These a-holes are getting smarter and smarter everyday. I should have know better because the only email I get from the bank is when the auto payment was sent. Linda said as far as Suntrust was concerned the person took a good guess that we banked there. I also changed my email address.

Motormouse
October 11th, 2012, 08:57
google 'phishing'; and be aware.

ttfn

Pete

n4gix
October 11th, 2012, 09:12
HINT: Always hover your mouse over any links and look at the bottom of the screen to see what the real link is!

OleBoy
October 11th, 2012, 09:26
HINT: Always hover your mouse over any links and look at the bottom of the screen to see what the real link is!

+1. A trick that always displays the true destination.

Dangerousdave26
October 11th, 2012, 10:21
Understand your bank...

No bank...

Will ever send you correspondence like that.

I suggest scanning your PC the word doc might have contained a virus you did not notice installing.

I have a personal policy regarding any type of email notices from anyone. If I did not contact you then I don't care what you think.

Never ever click on the attachment.

Tom Clayton
October 11th, 2012, 14:06

Even that can be spoofed in the html source. The only true way to find out where you're going is to right-click the link and choose "Copy shortcut" - then open Notepad and paste it in there. The pic below show what's displayed in the status bar as I hover over the link. However, the real URL goes through a Facebook redirect:

http: //www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3 De8jFb1pmHjQ&h=oAQHJI1Fg&s=1

Presumably, FB does this to track outbound clicks...

Roadburner440
October 11th, 2012, 15:25
Yeah if I get any kind of emails from my "bank" or even a regular letter I always make sure that I call. I do not click any of the links in the emails, and I do not respond to the letter with any of the info it wants. Usually I call the bank and then either forward the email to their fraud department, or mail in the letter to their fraud department.

stansdds
October 12th, 2012, 02:16
I get these emails from time to time. The first one I got did freak me out. How could one of my bank accounts have a rejected transaction? Then I realized I did not even have an account with that bank. Yep, the link tell the rest of the story. It's just a phishing scam.