PDA

View Full Version : Dale Jr out at charrlotte and kansas

Daveroo
October 11th, 2012, 07:16
Earnhardt Jr. will not race at Charlotte or Kansas: Dale Earnhardt Jr. will not compete in the upcoming NASCAR Sprint Cup Series events at Charlotte Motor Speedway and Kansas Speedway after being diagnosed with a concussion following the Oct. 7 race at Talladega. Earnhardt, driver of the #88 Chevys for Hendrick Motorsports, was diagnosed Wednesday afternoon in Charlotte. Regan Smith will be the team's substitute driver at Charlotte and Kansas.(Hendrick Motorsports (http://www.hendrickmotorsports.com/news/article/2012/10/11/Dale-Earnhardt-Jr-to-miss-Charlotte-and-Kansas-races)), Earnhardt's streak of consecutive starts (http://www.jayski.com/stats/statsmenu.htm#consec) in the Cup series will end at 461.
Press Conference at 11:00am/et ESPN, SPEED and NASCAR.com are scheduled to carry a Dale Earnhardt Jr. / Hendrick Motorsports news conference live at 11:00am/et.(10-11-2012)

i thing this is the first time i can say i really approve of what dale is doing,ive complained about him,made my comments about him and his "prefferances" ect...but this is a smart move,seems he was hurt back at kansas( dont remember his wreck there),but he said he hasnt been feeling "right",and he finally went to see Dr Petty,after the hit at Talledega,which dale said was.."very minor hit,but really messed with my head".
and this shows ( as he stated) he understands the dangers of to many cuncusions.

SMART MOVE DALE!!! rest up...work out in the time off..and go git'em later

eddie
October 11th, 2012, 09:05
Jr didn't crash during the race in Kansas, he and some other drivers were doing a tire test there, and his right front tire blew and he hit the wall pretty hard. Hope he'll be ok.

PRB
October 13th, 2012, 14:38
In this situation, Dale Jr. is lucky in that 1) he drives for Rick Hendrick, who is not likely to dump him because of this, and 2) he's a marketing gold mine so sponsers won't dump him either. If this was a “middle tier” driver or lower, he would be regarded as “damaged goods” (Google 'Ricky Craven') and have a hard time finding a ride after this sort of thing, unfortunately. We've already heard from Jeff Gordon and Brad Keselowski, saying that while they admire Jr.'s decision, they would not have done the same... That's important. I think Dale's decision was the right one, but the locker room culture takes a long time to change. Ricky Rudd once drove a race with his eyes taped open so that they wouldn't close, after a wreck and fire swelled them up. That's viewed as toughness that all drivers (and owners, and sponsors) like, even today.

stansdds
October 14th, 2012, 04:16
PRB nailed it.

Panther_99FS
October 14th, 2012, 07:47
Counter-point is what some NFL players say about that toughness decades after retirement.....

stansdds
October 15th, 2012, 01:53
The problem with getting out of the car in auto racing is the points system. You get out for a race or two and you pretty much take yourself out of contention for a title. I don't know how any racing organization is going to solve that issue unless they start awarding championships to teams instead of drivers.

Panther_99FS
October 15th, 2012, 15:26
I don't know how any racing organization is going to solve that issue unless they start awarding championships to teams instead of drivers.

Formula One has the high paying ($$) Constructor's Championship...

Terry
October 18th, 2012, 10:04
Here we go with excessive rules. Hamlin bumps the wall at Kansas, now they won't let him out of the care center untill they check his brain! Bad time a year to have people messing with your brain with all those zombies runnin around!

eddie
October 18th, 2012, 12:15
Yeah, why check them out for concussions. Put them back out on the track. Lets make it more dangerous for everyone involved! Sounds like a plan to me!:icon_lol:

stansdds
October 19th, 2012, 04:00
Denny was complaining of dizziness after the hit, a NASCAR official advised him to go to the infield care center and get checked out. Brain injuries are serious things and should not be taken lightly.

Terry
October 19th, 2012, 04:13
Yes its serious, my point is that like all bureaucracies once they start on something like this they will overdo it. If one of something is the correct number they will shoot for a hundred, it never ends.

stansdds
October 20th, 2012, 04:48
The slippery slope.

Panther_99FS
October 20th, 2012, 11:42
Yes its serious, my point is that like all bureaucracies once they start on something like this they will overdo it. If one of something is the correct number they will shoot for a hundred, it never ends.

What sport to date has overdone it with head injuries & concussions :ques:

Terry
October 20th, 2012, 11:52
What sport to date has overdone it with head injuries & concussions :ques:

Not head injuries rules specificaly, I'm referring to rules in general. Sports sanctioning bodies get carried away just like government. A lot of rules are made from a "just because we can" position.