PDA

View Full Version : Standby Generator Question for hey_moe or ?

Crusader
October 8th, 2012, 02:47
Sorry moe , this certainly isn't a flight or PC related question but have been seriously thinking about getting a Standby Generator (NG). I have a good place to place one in the back of the house close to the current AEP power box and maybe 8 to 10 feet from an outside NG hookup coming off the deck. (Currently have a NG grill hooked up to it). I basically want to run the whole house to at least to include: 2 refrigerators(1 in the basement) , electric stove , Cable TV , washer and electric dryer , furnace is NG but electric fan(of coarse). Central Air(I think a 3 ton). I was thinking a 17K or possibly even a 20K with 200amp. My son-in-law assures me he has put 3 or 4 in(including a NG) . All were Generac's with the automatic switches . He is a maintainance man for PPG (Glass) but is not a licensed electrician. I've heard or read that it voids the warranty on the Kohler's if you don't their installers . Kohler's are good units I've heard but your going to pay more . Most people around here have the Generac's and hav'nt had much trouble with them .

What do you think ? (I'm keeping any local ordnances or permits out this discussion :sleep:)

Rich

hey_moe
October 8th, 2012, 04:24
Hi Rich, I like Gererac products and I can't see ya going wrong. The gas piping to a 17k I think is 1.0 to 1.5. Also you might have to change your meter base to handle that. When we lost power with Isbel a while back I told Linda as I laid in bed sweating my a$$ off, I told Linda when this is over with I will never go without power again.On a small generator 5500 to 6500 you can run a number of things. I run two refh's,all the lights and paddle fans, and a 12,000 btu window unit. Most refh's only pull about 1.5 to 1.7 amps. The HW Heater only uses one element at a time puling about 12 to 14 amps depending on what size element you have. The CA pulls around 5 to 9 amps once it starts. I have been looking at the 10,000 one because if ya think about it are you using the AC, furnace,HW Heater, oven and burners at the same time.( I have gas HW and Gas heat ) The gas furnace doesn't pull jack. The blower might pull a amp...maybe. First thing I would do is dump the electric HW Heater and get a gas one because it is cheaper to operate and recovers faster than a electric one. I have two heating systems and two CAC System. One upstairs and one downstairs. The reason I have a one ton winow unit in the master bed room is because Linda like it around 61 to 62 degs in the bed room and the CA has a hard time keeping up at that temp. The window unit does a great job. I also have a one ton window unit in my man cave because with everything running the CAC also can't keep up. The oven and stove is the biggest amp taker. But do you cook all day during a power outage? Also remember that the bigger the generator is the more it cost to operate. I know they say the bigger is better but only get it size for what you need. The cost of gasoline now is unreal and to try and keep a generator running for 24 hours a day is high. 16 gallons at 3.50 to 4.00 a gallon is steep. On top of that ya have to keep 20 gallons on hand. Natural gas will always be cheaper and less mess. Also who wants to go outside when a storm is there and fill up the generator...lol.

Crusader
October 8th, 2012, 04:54
Thanks Moe for the quick response . Do have a NG HW heater and knock on wood it's still going strong after around 12 or 13 years . I thought 17 or 20K was overkill . My son told me that . Like I said I do have a electric stove and dryer which I'm sure pull their share of amps but like you said , how often do you use these at one time . Going to get a hold my son-in-law and check out a smaller NG Generac as I already have a NG hookup coming off the deck . (cheaper to operate and won't have to freeze my a-- off keeping it fueled)

Thanks again ! Great info

Rich

Daveroo
October 8th, 2012, 08:10
as moe stated,you need to make sure that gas supply line has the capacity to fuel the generator,the one to the deck for the BBQ may only be a half inch line,im sure you'll have repipe back to the meter ,with a larger pipe,ive forgoten the formula now,been along time since ive worked,and even when i did,i didnt much care,i let dad do all that,,,lol

n4gix
October 8th, 2012, 08:19
I have had a 10k Generac for these last twelve years for my 1500 sq/ft home. I have a "smart" autotransfer switch that has a really neat load-shed feature to prevent overloading.

One thing is an absolute must though: draw an accurate schematic of your house's electrical distribution, and calculate the maximum loading for each circuit so that you can balance the load on the generator's output.

I highly suggest that having a professional do the actual wiring is the best choice, even if the physical installation is done by non-professionals... :icon_lol:

Willy
October 8th, 2012, 10:01
I ran diesel generators for years in the Navy. One thing that I'd like to add from personal experience is that it's better to have too much generator than not enough. I've seen what overloading one can do and it can be very expensive to repair.