PDA

View Full Version : Barry Blaisdell

bobmay
October 7th, 2012, 16:46
Barry passed away on Wednesday 3rd October after a long battle with diabetes and heart disease.
From an early age Barry’s life was aviation. He joined the Air National Guard as a cadet and as soon as he was able he joined the
US Air Force. He flew F-<wbr>100 Super Sabres and F-<wbr>105 Thunderchiefs on combat missions in Vietnam. He was invalided out of the USAF
after being severely wounded when his F-<wbr>105 was destroyed by a SAM missile. After recuperation he applied to join the US Army as a
helicopter pilot and returned to Vietnam.
When his flying career was ended by a heart attack he took up virtual aviation as a hobby and started to design aircraft for FS5.
Barry founded Premier Aircraft Design in 1995 and led the team until 2008
Barry leaves a widow, Carol, and a son Todd, our deepest condolences go out to them at this sad time.

Daveroo
October 7th, 2012, 17:46
sorry to hear this..my condolances to the family

Roger
October 7th, 2012, 18:29
So sorry to hear another big name in the Fsim community has left us. Please accept my condolences to family and friends.

SSI01
October 7th, 2012, 18:39
Very deeply saddened indeed to hear of this. I'm quite familiar with his work and have a number of his aircraft in the "hangar." I also visit PAD frequently to see what's new, and have a great many of their aircraft to fly as well. Flying F-100s put him in the sky over South VietNam where he must have flown CAS for Army units in close contact with the enemy. He saved many lives in doing so, including possibly someone in my own family who had been there twice. To later fly -105s over North VietNam meant he jumped from the frying pan into the fire. At one time it was statistically impossible for a -105 pilot to finish his 100-mission tour over North VietNam, the loss rate was so high. Those men were flying at least in part to try to stem the flow of equipment and ordnance making its way south to kill Americans, so he was still trying to save lives. Mr. Blaisdell got out of that the hard way with a permanent injury that apparently must have rendered him incapable of flying in ejection-seat equipped aircraft, which must explain how the Army took him as a helo pilot. Again, another high-risk position this time flying in a slow-moving clay pigeon. When men like this go to their Maker they definitely leave this world a poorer place, there are precious few men who live by a code of honor that requires them to continually "step into the breach." He and his work will be missed!:salute:

hawkeye52
October 7th, 2012, 19:44
Beautifully said, SS. Barry was the very first person from whom I sought help when I started with FS8 eight years ago. I'll always remember his patience in answering what must have seemed pretty dumb questions. Rest in Peace, Mr, B. :salute:

- H52

mrogers
October 8th, 2012, 00:29
I take my hat off to Barry Blaisdell - a great man who has contributed so much to Flightsim. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

OBIO
October 8th, 2012, 08:39
I am deeply saddened to read this news. As others have stated already...another great FS contributor has left us.

Bob, please pass along my condolences to his family if you would.

Tim

Lionheart
October 8th, 2012, 09:07
Sorry to hear this. May he rest in peace. My condolences to his friends and family.

Bill

p3aewguy
October 8th, 2012, 13:26
My condolences to the family! He was a great designer and has given so much to the FS community. He was also a Great Patriot and American Serviceman. RIP

Dave

mike_cyul
October 8th, 2012, 17:16
Definitely a well known name in the sim community - and a sad loss indeed.

Mike

b24_witchcraft
October 8th, 2012, 19:20
Sad news for the flightsim community - a great man who has contributed so much to our hobby.

May he rest in peace - my prayers and condolences go out to his friends and family.

westjet
October 8th, 2012, 19:26
Rest in peace Barry.Your work gave me many hours of enjoyment over these many years.

Milton Shupe
October 9th, 2012, 04:42
I was just thinking and talking about Barry over the weekend with my wife recalling the many hours he has invested in freeware for the community and his influence on me. I probably have more FS98 and FS2000 hours in his C-130's, Dash 7's and dhc6's than all of my aircraft put together.

It was in fact communication with Barry Blaisdell during my early years in FS that inspired me to get into design work. I absolutely loved his dhc6's on floats. :-)

Rest in Peace Barry Blaisdell, Warrior, Designer, FS Friend. :icon30: :medals: :USA-flag:

Brian_Gladden
October 9th, 2012, 05:02
I echo all the above. I conversed with Barry from time to time back when I was much more active in the FS design field. Especially as a fellow New Englander. He will be missed. I still fly many of his aircraft. Godspeed Barry.:salute:

Sunny9850
October 9th, 2012, 08:30
So sorry to hear this. I hope that there is indeed that special place for all aviators where the weather is always beautiful and any flying machine your heart desires is fueled and ready to go whenever you feel like it. Barry certainly earned his place there as well as every FS pilots heart. Godspeed Barry.

Stefan

Navtech
October 9th, 2012, 11:47
RIP
One of my first freeware to go in FS2004 was his Twin Otter with this custom livery
It's a must to be in all my FS2004 installations
http://i.imgur.com/mqIKM.jpg

JoHubb
October 10th, 2012, 01:26
I'm so sorry to here about Barry's death. His designs have given me endless pleasure over the years. Barry was always ready to advise, generous with his time and expertise.
My sincere condolences to Carol, Todd and his family. He will be greatly missed.

RIP

Bjoern
October 10th, 2012, 10:42
Dang. :(

Astoroth
October 10th, 2012, 23:46
So sorry to hear of this. Not only was Barry a great and prolific designer, but an all around nice guy as well. He was very nice and gave me some very good tips when I wrote to him once when I was trying to make a Diamond Katana, even going so far as to let me tweak his flight model for use with my aircraft.

He will be missed.