PDA

View Full Version : OOOoooopppppsssss!!!

PutPut
October 7th, 2012, 12:36
I keep forgetting that carriers with Acceleration style traps do not like tail draggers. This has been discussed at length in this forum. There is a fix that is based on the tides, phase of the moon, time of the month, etc. It is not scientific (trial and error). I made my first carrier landing with my upcoming Berliner Joyce OJ-2 with the pictured result. I have since added Rob Barendregt's rcbco-30 gauges and all is cool.

Best, Paul

FSDSMAN
October 7th, 2012, 12:52
There is a fix that is based on the tides, time of the month, etc. It is not scientific

I have been married now for close on 28 years and would love a fix for the "time of month" and all the PMT baggage that come with it.
I thought that if you put the tail hook just in front of the main gear contact points this would solve this.

Ian Warren
October 7th, 2012, 13:45
I keep forgetting that carriers with Acceleration style traps do not like tail draggers. This has been discussed at length in this forum. There is a fix that is based on the tides, phase of the moon, time of the month, etc. It is not scientific (trial and error). I made my first carrier landing with my upcoming Berliner Joyce OJ-2 with the pictured result. I have since added Rob Barendregt's rcbco-30 gauges and all is cool.

Now Paul , I'd wonder how you would go with Bruce Fitzgerald s CV-6 .. maybe a nudge to build the Lady Lex or the Sara more suited to your OJ:cool: <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

TARPSBird
October 7th, 2012, 15:07
I've had to move the main gear contact points forward and/or tweak the tailhook values on some vintage planes to avoid the annoying nose-over. If Rob's RCBCO gauges resolve that problem I'll have to check 'em out for my tail-draggers.

Pips
October 7th, 2012, 18:14
But that's how I always land! :isadizzy: Don't tell me that it's not normal? :icon_eek:

Ian Warren
October 7th, 2012, 18:57
:isadizzy: Don't tell me that it's not normal? :icon_eek:

Until corrected .. guess that's it .. I would like a cushion tho ... both head and tail :wavey: <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

rcbarend
October 7th, 2012, 21:24
Hi Paul,

Well, I would be surprised if my rcbco-30 package would work better for taildraggers w.r.t. carrier-arrested landings.
Actually, I never tested that, since I designed the package (long, long time ago ...) with heavy military jet aircraft in mind :)

To me, the problem seems to be in weight-and-balance of an aircraft; same as when during a pushback on many light aircraft, and you suddenly apply ParkingBrakes resulting in the aircraft tumbling over backwards .....

Have you tried re-positioning the tailhook (further backwards, FDE-wise in the aircraft.cfg ) ??

Cheers, Rob

Delta_Whiskey
October 7th, 2012, 21:48
I find that if i use as short a hook as possible (limits tail up height) ,tailhook_length = ?
placed just in front of the tail wheel , tailhook_position = ?
and if i make the cable force a bit more spongy .. cable_force_adjust = 0.7
i can usually land tail draggers successfully,
landing near stall and a bit of up elevator doesn't hurt either.
but if the rcbo gauge works for you - i say use it

expat
October 8th, 2012, 02:01
I have never had a problem trapping warbirds e.g. Hellcat, Corsair, Skyraider etc using Rob's gauges in FS9 or in FSX.