PDA

View Full Version : Couple 'o questions

Corsair Freak
October 3rd, 2008, 20:41
Hi all,

I'm somewhat of a newbie to CFS3. I've had it for years but never play it too much. I'm more of a CFS2'er, anyways...

On a completely stock CFS3.1a I was getting 45 F/PS with everything set on 2. The frames weren't bad but the quality was, especially the ground textures. So, I read the CFS3 tweaks tutorial, on com-central I think, and applied almost everything in the tutorial. The f/ps were a little better, but the quality was horrible.

I reversed the tweaks, kept Max's clouds, installed fox's effects pack 3, capped the fps out at 30, and also disabled water relections, water animations, scenery and texture lightning, and fog. The fp/s aren't bad unless I look at an airfield, or get too much smoke/explosion effects on screen. (This all in free flight by myself btw.)

I'll stop rambling and get to the questions now...

is there an low-poly pack of aircraft that can be used for static targets on airfields? it's fun blowing up planes on the ground, but I also like smooth playing.

Also, I tried johno_UK's scenery and it looks great! it really looks like I'm flying in Europe, and not over some fuzzy blocky textures. But his scenery causes stuttering even with image quality at terrain 3, scenery 2. Is there a more f/ps friendly texture set that looks nearly as good as johno_uk's?

CF

Pat Pattle
October 3rd, 2008, 22:28
But his scenery causes stuttering even with image quality at terrain 3, scenery 2. Is there a more f/ps friendly texture set that looks nearly as good as johno_uk's?

Hi CF and welcome! :)

Open the cfs3 Assets folder and inside the high res dds subfolder is a file called 'scenerysheet01.dds' There may well be a low res version in the same folder but if not you need to reduce this file to half it's size. It's a big cause of stutters.

If not a good freeware paint proggy that has dds editing capability is Paintdot net which can be found here:

http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

pm me if you run into problems and I'll send you my file.

Pat :)

ps. I think there may be a low res texture set available anyway come to think of it.

Corsair Freak
October 4th, 2008, 07:57
Thanks Pat, I'll look in that folder for a lower-res version if there isn't one I'll resize it using DXTBmp and Gimp.

CF

P.S. would it help if I changed the max terrain texture, and composite terrain texture settings in the 'Texture Limits' section of the cfs3 config to 512 or 256 instead of 0? I'm thinking 0 means unlimited.

middle
October 4th, 2008, 09:53
CF...nice to see ya here!!! middle

Corsair Freak
October 4th, 2008, 10:06
I halved the resolution of the file you mentioned Pat, but now the trees are blocky, and still getting stutters.:banghead:

I may need to try a different, not so high-res set of textures. Any recomendations?

Howdy Mid, long time no see. :wavey:

CF