PDA

View Full Version : Good setup to run FSX

naravac
January 2nd, 2009, 15:01
Im planning on upgrading to FSX this year.

So my question is what is a good setup for running FSX?

MCDesigns
January 2nd, 2009, 15:07
There is no magic bullet system, just get the best CPU you can afford, preferably Intel as AMD just can't compete.

fliger747
January 2nd, 2009, 15:13
I'll admit the Intel processor is probably better. For years (since the 386 days) I have always built my "floortop" computers. However last year I ran down to the local Geeks and bough a quad core (AMD) ACER. Even without the Video card (which I added later) it is a very comprtent FSX machine. Even flying around the Seattle area which is a frame rate hog with most of the sliders to the right, it does very well. Unusual to see it dip below 20 FPS (which is still great for FSX Accel) and often it is 40 or so. As long as I can get good detail and enough FPS to fly smoothly I am happy.

Cheers: T.

heywooood
January 2nd, 2009, 20:45
if you want a good platform that doesnt cost alot of money get

a Pentium 3.4 dual core with a good Mobo that you can expand on...

you want to use an nvidia card with at least 512mb onboard ram and you want at least 2 gigs of mainboard ram.

if you want to melt your face and refinance the house to afford it - get a quad core Pentium and the latest nvidia card(s) and 4 gigity's of ram, Quagmire

txnetcop
January 3rd, 2009, 02:19
See what you get for asking for advice from a buch of experts:costumes:

First some questions:

Do you play other games(most newer games allow for SLI or CROSSFIRE)?

How much money can you spend?

What are your preferences in video cards as that will determine what motherboard you get in anything pre X58 i7 Core as most i7core motherboards now allow you to use either Nvidia or ATI in SLI or CROSSFIRE?

Last are you willing to build your own and save some bucks or do want to buy a custom unit, or would you prefer off the shelf factory unit?

What country do you live in (it matters as to where you order parts or a factory unit)?

Ted

BTW you may PM me with your answer if you do not want to disclose your budget in public. I am a custom game builder and and have built for several people in the forum, but I do not build for anyone outside of Texas because of excessive shipping and insurance costs.