PDA

View Full Version : 'Here Ya' Go NavyChief'

Panther_99FS
January 2nd, 2009, 14:38
MHcINGMSWHI

Navy Chief
January 2nd, 2009, 15:02
Thanks Panther!

Now then, can anyone imagine such a toy being released nowadays? Nope. Just the anti-war crowd alone would raise a tremendous furor. Plus, I am certain the safety-first fanatics would almost assuredly go on the rampage to prevent it.

I am SO glad I was raised in the 50s-60s..... It was a time without the worries of today's generation. We were only concerned with having fun. And kids now miss out. It is sad.

Pete

GT182
January 2nd, 2009, 15:25
What you said NC is 100% true. All we wanted to do was have fun. No booze, no drugs, no guns. Just good 'ol fun where you played all day without getting into trouble. Except with mom or dad. ;)

Butcherbird17
January 2nd, 2009, 15:29
Can you name who the kid is in that commercial? He is pretty well known.

Joe

FlyTexas
January 2nd, 2009, 15:47
Can you name who the kid is in that commercial? He is pretty well known.

Joe

Looks kind of like Kurt Russell.

Brian

Odie
January 2nd, 2009, 15:56
Thanks Panther!

Now then, can anyone imagine such a toy being released nowadays? Nope. Just the anti-war crowd alone would raise a tremendous furor. Plus, I am certain the safety-first fanatics would almost assuredly go on the rampage to prevent it.

I am SO glad I was raised in the 50s-60s..... It was a time without the worries of today's generation. We were only concerned with having fun. And kids now miss out. It is sad.

Pete

You hit the nail on the head, NC ! We watched 3 Stooges every afternoon after school, jumped off of dirt piles and slid down hills, and even rode bikes without helmets or padding of any kind !!

My "Army" weapontry was fully stocked and we played Night Army within the six block neighborhood where we were allowed to roam free.

Good stuff all-around !

Navy Chief
January 2nd, 2009, 16:16
Can you imagine kids being allowed out at night, unsupervised.....playing "Army" now? Horror upon horror!!! Don't get me wrong; there are a lot of cool things now that as a kid, I would have loved...i.e. computer games. BUT, the fun we had playing outside games was priceless, in my opinion.

Here's one example of fun we had that just wouldn't be allowed. In our neighborhood on the north side of Indianapolis, mosquitos were pretty bad. The neighborhood families would pitch in, and pay a guy to drive his jeep around, and he sprayed insecticide from a fogger attached. The smoke screen from the "fog jeep" was extremely thick, and we had a blast riding our bicycles through it. Of course, the jeep driver wasn't thrilled about it, but hey, it was fun! And in today's environment, I am sure that the "Soccer Moms" would go ballistic, even at the thought of such antics.

But I gotta tell you......that was fun! I still remember the smell.

NC

Cazzie
January 2nd, 2009, 16:16
What! No Guns! :icon_lol:

But yep guys, our little generation of boomers were the last Age of Innocence. We'll never again have that kind of open-end freedom.

But I got a Red Ryder when I was six years old and my first rifle at ten and shotgun at thirteen. Us'n were all taught how to shoot straight and safe at an early age if'n we were male. :tgun2: The only thing we killed with out BBs were frogs and we did that to eat some legs. :applause:

My sons have been shooting since they were each six. The eldest is real good, but the younger has little interest. One of my wife's roommate's daughters got her interest in shooting from them visiting here and has now qualified for tryouts on the Junior Olympics team.

I always wanted one of those Panther, even though I had outgrown it when it was released. :icon_lol:

Caz

Navy Chief
January 2nd, 2009, 16:53
The Three Stooges are still a favorite of mine. Remember Curly yelling, "Moe, Larry, CHEESE!!"

Those guys were, and still are today, hilarious!

I also loved watching the Jerry Lewis, Dean Martin movies. Plus, there is a great Black and White classic, starring Bob Hope, and Paulette Goddard, called, "The Ghost Breakers."

This movie was also done by Martin and Lewis, and named, "Scared Stiff", but it wasn't near as funny.

In "The Ghost Breakers", besides Hope and Goddard, there starred a character actor named Wille Best. Willie was wonderful in this movie, and I highly recommend renting it, if you can find it.

Don't know how I got off on a tangent about old movies, but.....enjoy!

Pete

Panther_99FS
January 2nd, 2009, 16:58
Creature
Features!!

--> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creature_Features

TARPSBird
January 2nd, 2009, 18:40
I agree with Fly Texas, the kid in the commercial is Kurt Russell - probably just before he got popular in films and TV. Large pic is kid in commercial, small one is Kurt in a 1964 episode of "The Fugitive".

EasyEd
January 2nd, 2009, 21:27
Hey All,

I have to admit that toy looks real familiar. I'm wondering if one of my brothers or I had one.

Speaking of toys - why can't we get these anymore?

wyorLSW41Ic&feature=related

I loved my Tonka Trucks and other farm equipment - real metal made to last!

-Ed-

jmig
January 3rd, 2009, 06:59
How many of you had a Genuine Davy Crockett coons skin hat to go with your Daisy BB gun.

Buddha13
January 3rd, 2009, 14:50
Hi all,
This is what I wanted for Christmas as a kid.
http://www.stuffwelove.co.uk/johnny_seven.htm

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BuvqPMWv8YU&feature=related

Buddha13

n4gix
January 3rd, 2009, 19:14
I remember that commercial of the VW using a Tonka dump truck for the left front tire... ;)

Donnybrooke
January 3rd, 2009, 19:48
:) I remember that one well!

Buddha13
January 4th, 2009, 05:55
Hi all,
From what I remeber the commercial was based on a real event.
From what I remember about Tonka they started using more plastic in their toys.They became less strong and broke more easily.
You can still get them but they are not the toys we remember.
Use of high impact plastic not steel is the rule of the day.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tonka+toys&tag=googhydr-21&index=toys&hvadid=3049204513&ref=pd_sl_9qfh4jjnym_b
and,
http://www.hasbro.com/tonka/
The Tonka story,
http://www.hasbro.com/tonka/default.cfm?page=about

Buddha13