PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Fans noise reduction

Lionheart
January 2nd, 2009, 12:48
Hey guys,

I purchased a dual HD case the other day. Awesome little unit, except for one thing. Its a bit loud when I have it on. The fans in my iMac are totally silent, but the fan in the CyClone sounds like a small airconditioner or windnoise in a flight. (Its not hurrendous, but enough to bother me).

Any suggestions? The fan is riveted on, and the rear panel is mounted over the rivets, so they are slightly difficult to get to, but there 'might' be a way. (I wanted to experiment with different fans on it, to see if perhaps its just the actual fan assembly, but the rivets kind of keep that from happening).

In seeing how hot HD's can get when they are in the desk top 'quick link socket', I can understand why they need fans running, or air moving over them, that is..

I wish to keep it on the desk. If I didnt, I could hide it in a desk to keep the sound down, lol... :d

Bill

Drake
January 2nd, 2009, 14:04
I know they make some kind of vibration dampening things to put your fans in. They even have one for a power supply. I think I saw them at newegg. I've really been wanting to get some of those myself. Got 4 fans and sometimes they get loud. I've been really disappointed in the Antec case I have.

Terry
January 2nd, 2009, 14:07
Seems like there are three possibilities. The cover is vibrating against the rivets, the fan is not properly balanced, or it's simply a powerful fan moving a lot of air. Hopefully it's just a vibration which is an easy fix with a rubber shim. LOL

aeronca1
January 2nd, 2009, 14:09
My system has 9 fans. Noise? What did you say, can't hear ya, lol. I simply use my imagination, turn off my system sound and fly some tubeliners.

GT182
January 2nd, 2009, 15:21
Bill, you'll get used to it... someday. :costumes:

I've got a total of 11 fans in my Thermaltake case, and the loudest are the 4 air intake fans. When I have headphones on I hardly hear them at all. The rest of the time I've learned to ignor 'em. ;)

JoeW
January 2nd, 2009, 17:45
Look at it this way. If you can hear them .... they are running. If you can't hear them .......... maybe they ain't running. I don't trust things I can hear. When they quit you never know it until it's too late.