PDA

View Full Version : Editing a Sound.cfg

Olicat
October 3rd, 2012, 11:23
Hi all, I was just wondering if or how you could edit the sound.cfg of an aircraft...

Im flying the IRIS F-15 but I think the sound needs more of a low rumble when on high power to make it more realistic, is there any way of doing this?

fox18delta
October 3rd, 2012, 21:59
Hi all, I was just wondering if or how you could edit the sound.cfg of an aircraft...

Im flying the IRIS F-15 but I think the sound needs more of a low rumble when on high power to make it more realistic, is there any way of doing this?

Can't help much with the editing, but I fly the iris f-15e with VRS Superhornet sound. Just copied and pasted it in the sound folder after deleting the original F-15E sound config.
Works great for me.

Tako_Kichi
October 4th, 2012, 09:06
You can tweak some settings in the sound.cfg file but they mostly affect the volume of the sound or it's source location if you play with the 'sound cone' info.

To change the tone of the sounds (add more bass for instance) or to make them longer/shorter then you need to modify the sound file using a sound editor program.

If you edit the wave files then you need to be sure you are saving them again in the correct format as flight sim will only recognize one type of .wav file.

Olicat
October 4th, 2012, 10:14
Thanks, is there a free program anyone knows of that can do that?

Tako_Kichi
October 4th, 2012, 13:05
Thanks, is there a free program anyone knows of that can do that?
Certainly there is and it's a good one too. Obviously there is a learning curve to climb just like any other new-to-you application.

Have a look here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

The help files and Wiki should get you going.
(http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)

Delta_Whiskey
October 4th, 2012, 23:00
open the sound cfg with notepad and look for the wav files for each entry. you are probably looking for combustion waves.
find the referenced sound file in the sound folder and double click it - windows should play it for you. you can also poke around in planes with the desired rumble you are looking for
and simply change the particular wav with one that sounds more appealing ( copy the file to the plane and change the reference to it in the cfg file )
the numbered files usually correspond to increasing power settings. so low end rumble or high end rumble low end whine high end whine , yada yada yada

I do this mostly by poking around and experimenting with different mixes - trial and error

Olicat
October 5th, 2012, 07:30
Thanks all, time for a bit of an experiment methinks!