PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam War Scenery For FS9

Flyboy208
October 3rd, 2008, 19:28
I know this has been asked many times, but now that I finally have a PC that will comply, what are the best airbases for FS9?

Cheers! Mike :ernae:

adhockey
October 3rd, 2008, 19:38
I know this has been asked many times, but now that I finally have a PC that will comply, what are the best airbases for FS9?

If you are looking for something out in the bush, search "George Knowles" on avsim. He created many SF camps, fire bases, and the like (albeit for FS2002--but works OK in FS2004). Tight little airstrips perfect for 'Bou or C-123 flying are my kind of thing.

Some other folks re-created the big airbases: Da Nang, TSN, etc. but their names escape me at the moment.

rayrey10
October 3rd, 2008, 20:29
There is Chu Lai by Al Simms Jr available here:
http://members.aol.com/asimmsjr/index2.html

That is a great place to fly helos, has a ton of landing spots.

Also there is Phu Bai by Doug Kibbey > not sure where I got that from. Check the usual suspects e.g. simviation, avsim etc.

SteveB
October 4th, 2008, 02:25
Al simms Chu Lai scenery is great you get alot of helicopter landing zones and a couple of airfields so it can be used for almost any type of aircraft model, although it is rearly built for hueys.

Steve

kurt190
October 4th, 2008, 03:28
There is also some Laos (vfaa_201.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kdl/main/63/vfaa_201.zip?yEeD100Y))scenery out there - mainly for helos. There was an Alphasim one as well - Bien Hoa - although I guess thats gone now. Plenty of VietNam era airfields from George Knowles around - these are FS2002 though I believe they work.

kurt

SteveB
October 4th, 2008, 04:12
There is also some Laos (vfaa_201.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kdl/main/63/vfaa_201.zip?yEeD100Y))scenery out there - mainly for helos. There was an Alphasim one as well - Bien Hoa - although I guess thats gone now. Plenty of VietNam era airfields from George Knowles around - these are FS2002 though I believe they work.

kurt

Thanks for that one Kurt now I have somewhere to play with this one :d

kurt190
October 4th, 2008, 04:34
My pleasure - I love the old Fairchild - are you doing a bare metal finish at all?

kurt

SteveB
October 4th, 2008, 04:37
My pleasure - I love the old Fairchild - are you doing a bare metal finish at all?

kurt

I have been playing with one but not happy with the results so far, Me an bare metal don't get on too well, but I haven't given up on it yet :banghead:
:d.

kurt190
October 4th, 2008, 08:38
I quite like the Air America paint but I think a pure bare metal would be ideal. Did you make your own paint kit?

kurt

SteveB
October 4th, 2008, 09:01
I quite like the Air America paint but I think a pure bare metal would be ideal. Did you make your own paint kit?

kurt

Yes mate I have and I will be uploading it when I have tidy'd it up a bit .

Steve

strikehawk
October 4th, 2008, 09:02
I think that I got Phu Bai from Hover Control. Take a look in their FS9 scenery files it should be there.

kurt190
October 4th, 2008, 09:16
Yes mate I have and I will be uploading it when I have tidy'd it up a bit .

Steve

Cool - thanks - I look forward to having a dabble.

kurt

Crusader
October 4th, 2008, 09:25
Speaking of Chu Lai , those of you that already have it , has anyone tried to make an AFCAD file ? Excellent scenery by the way . I've had it since it came out in 2006 . I'v attempted an AFCAD a couple of times unsuccessfully . I know it does'nt exist in FS9 so you have to start from scratch . If anyone has made one successfully would you mind sharing it ?
At least we would have good place to start and then we could tack on some AI traffic . It might not be easy as there are alot of static aircraft and objects with this scenery .

Rich:ernae:

kurt190
October 4th, 2008, 09:37
Speaking of Chu Lai , those of you that already have it , has anyone tried to make an AFCAD file ? Excellent scenery by the way . I've had it since it came out in 2006 . I'v attempted an AFCAD a couple of times unsuccessfully . I know it does'nt exist in FS9 so you have to start from scratch . If anyone has made one successfully would you mind sharing it ?
At least we would have good place to start and then we could tack on some AI traffic . It might not be easy as there are alot of static aircraft and objects with this scenery .

Rich:ernae:
Its the problem a lot of these Viet Nam sceneries have in that they were made for FS2002 - also some of them are heavy on frames. I thought about doing an AFCAD for Chu Lai just never got round to it - the whole area around there just seems so "dead" - land class is bad and textures are horrible, default autogen is inappropriate also there is no scenery for Charles. Some trucks and cyclists down the trail would be good.......

There is Ron Jeffers Apocalypse Now scenery:

http://simviation.com/fs2004scenery65.htm

kurt

Flyboy208
October 4th, 2008, 17:14
Thanks everyone for helping me out here, The Apocalypse Now '06 scenery is alot of fun. Will have to install some other files as well.

Here are some 'Nam piccies to share. Cheers! Mike :ernae: