PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR and Prepar3D

falcon409
September 28th, 2012, 17:31
I found a workaround to enable TrackIR in P3D. Having said that, there is one minor drawback that I will explain later. Since I haven't seen much related to TrackIR and P3D in this forum, I'm guessing others have found it as well, either that or no one uses TrackIR so no ones looking for some kind of "fix" or "workaround" to enable it.

Here's how it's done:
Locate and download a small editor called "Resource Hacker". Open it and then open the "language.dll" file located in the Prepar3d main folder. Once open, you'll see four folders....click the "+" next to "String Table", then do the same for #1 string. Finally click on "1033". This will open the contents in the space to the right. Next, click "Edit", "Select All" and place your cursor inside the left quote mark for line 2 and highlight the text inside the quotes. Now type the following in it's place . . . .Microsoft Flight Simulator X. Make sure this is type inside the quotes. Now click "Compile Script", save the file and close Resource Hacker. That's all there is to it.

Now, here's the minor drawback, when you load Prepar3D, it no longer says Lockheed Martin Prepar3D in the upper left of the sim window, it now says Microsoft Flight Simulator X. I wasn't too crazy about that, but it also didn't cost me $35 bucks (the cost to purchase EzDok, which is the only other way to get TrackIR to work with P3D).

If you have gone to the TrackIR Forum, you know by now that NaturalPoint does not intend to work with Lockheed Martin to include "simconnect" in the way TrackIR communicates. Conversely, Lockheed Martin does not intend to work with NaturalPoint to include the coding that TrackIR requires into their P3D coding. Pretty much an impass, so your option. . . .No TrackIR, TrackIR using the fix shown above or pay $35 to get a utility that you may or may not even want otherwise just to get TIR to run.

jmig
October 4th, 2012, 03:41
That fix didn't work for me Ed. The TrackIR issue is keeping me from using Pd3. Everything else is fine.

Clutch Cargo
October 6th, 2012, 10:26
I'd try that fix again John, as it worked for me the first time. But I could see if there was any mis-spelliing or a space or coma added/deleted where it shouldn't be, it might not work. Since this was my first time editing a .dll file I really took my time.

Also, there is a little app/fix for those that like trackIR but only to work while inside the VC. A little app called JAB_FSX automatically disables TrackIR when you switch to an outside view. You can assign a hotkey to turn it on or off in case you do want TrackIR for an outside view. Though design for FSX it works great in P3D. Google 'JAB_FSX' or try the library - can't remember where I got it from.

FYI - regarding the TrackIR fix, if you use the P3D Migration Tool you will get an error message when you 'Enable Virtual FSX' saying it is "unable to patch P3D/language.dll". I'm sure due to us editing the file. I just click OK to get past it and have so far not encountered any issues with installs.

Clutch

jmig
October 9th, 2012, 03:35
I'd try that fix again John, as it worked for me the first time.... any issues with installs.

Clutch

Thanks Clutch! Good information. I will try again once I reinstall the drive that contains PD3.