PDA

View Full Version : Aerosoft PBY missions ?

TeiscoDelRay
September 27th, 2012, 08:53
In the manual for the Aerosoft PBY they state there is a full mission pack but after a net search nothing turns up. Is there any missions around for this plane? Not sure why I need missions as I can't seem to keep it running longer than 10 minutes :)

JohnC
September 27th, 2012, 09:54
I was a part of the development for the PBY, but it's been long enough that my memory is a bit hazy. I want to say that the same gent who made the missions for the F-16 was going to make a set for the PBY, but wound up publishing them separately here:

http://secure.simmarket.com/combat-planes-midway-mission-for-aerosoft-catalina.phtml

I could be wrong though, and there might be another set elsewhere.

TeiscoDelRay
September 27th, 2012, 11:46
Thanks, does anyone have these missions, just would like to know if they are the same quality as the mission that comes with the plane. That mission is excellent with voice over and other neat things.

Also do you know what is the most common cause for the engines to quit after a bit?

JohnC
September 27th, 2012, 14:48
I've always been interested in the missions, but never picked. This thread made me revisit that inquiry.

As for the the engines quitting, check your mixture lever and temps (oil and cyl head). Finn put in quite a bit of time into the engine management. If my memory holds, you should be running Auto Rich if the power output exceeds 750bhp and Auto Lean if below. I'd have to check the manual to see where that falls in terms of MP (it's somewhere around 32"-35"). Cowl flaps flaps will help if you're overheating, but add a moderate amount of drag. If you find it too much of a bother, there is a way to shut down the engine management system from the shift-2 menu.

TeiscoDelRay
September 27th, 2012, 15:45
Thanks, I like the engine management and the challenge of keeping it running well.

roger-wilco-66
September 27th, 2012, 22:53
I remember that Aerosoft wanted to sell that mission pack, but stepped back from doing so stating that it was not up to their standards. I hope I recall that right.

Here's a review: http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?1167-Midway-Missions-For-PBY-Catalina

Cheers,
Mark

Wothan
September 28th, 2012, 03:31
There are a couple of missions included with the Aerosoft Catalina X, but the mission pack was scrapped, as said because it apparently didnīt meet the standards.

Please read the manual for proper engine management.

Soon after take off reduce manifold pressure and propeller RPM.
Auto mixture should be set to auto rich for take off, climb, decend and landing.
Auto lean is used for long range cruise.

Cowl flaps must be opened to apr. 45% for take off and otherwise be set to keep CHT (Cylinder head temperature) below 250°C, but not below 110°C with power applied.

Also note what kind of weather Your flying in.
If You are flying in rain, clouds or poor visibility, turn on the structural anti icing (Backwall) as well as keeping carburator air temperature above 30°C, but below 50°C.
The carburator heaters are NOT simple On/Off switches, but are used to move a valvelike damper that will direct more or less of the inlet air to be heated by the exhausts.

So any change of out side air temperature or engine settings, will require adjustment of the carburator heaters.

If You donīt turn on the structural anti icing switch before flying into icing conditions, the Catalina might become uncontrollable due to icebuildup.
The Structural anti icing can only prevent build up of ice, but is not strong enough to remove allready build up icing.

Finn

TeiscoDelRay
September 28th, 2012, 07:53
Thanks for the tip, after flying this and the A2A stuff I find it difficult to fly anything that does not bite back if mishandled.
As for included missions I have only found one so far, is there two?