PDA

View Full Version : question about FSX ability

Daveroo
September 26th, 2012, 18:17
am i mistaken? or can FSX planes tow gliders?,or was that a package someone made?....i seem to recall something about towing and reliesing gliders,,,which made me think,can we tow "banners" from our planes?..like the albeo C188,or the wacoYFM5?...and there are many other planes in the sim that could tow banners,some of you may think it would be boring to do that,but to me,it would be fun to have a job,you have to have the banner contected ( or snatch it) and take off at a certin time,to be over the ballpark,or beach,or wedding (lol) or whatever you can think of,fly a set pattern and then land..all on a secdual
is it possible?

anthony31
September 26th, 2012, 18:30
Are you thinking about gliders being towed by a plane? If you are in a glider in FSX you can call a tow plane (I think it is the Maule) to help you takeoff. In this case you are in the glider and the FSX AI is the towplane rather than you being in a towplane.

Lionheart
September 26th, 2012, 19:56
..........and people figured out how to change the tow plane to other planes so that you could have a WWII DC3 to haul up a WWII glider troop carrier.

EDIT: Sorry, I know not how that is done. Put Put does though. :)

roger-wilco-66
September 26th, 2012, 21:34
Justflights C-47 apparently tows a Waco glider.

http://www.fspilotshop.com/images/JFD-260g.jpg

Cheers,
Mark

Dave Torkington
September 26th, 2012, 22:48
am i mistaken? or can FSX planes tow gliders?,or was that a package someone made?....i seem to recall something about towing and reliesing gliders,,,which made me think,can we tow "banners" from our planes?..like the albeo C188,or the wacoYFM5?...and there are many other planes in the sim that could tow banners,some of you may think it would be boring to do that,but to me,it would be fun to have a job,you have to have the banner contected ( or snatch it) and take off at a certin time,to be over the ballpark,or beach,or wedding (lol) or whatever you can think of,fly a set pattern and then land..all on a secdual
is it possible?

Hi Daveroo,

I have an FS9 AI Antonov AN2 working in FSX that tows a banner, so i guess it's possible to make it 'flyable' in FSX...

Whatever aircraft was used, the banner would have to be modeled as part of the aircraft animations.

Will take a look when I get back from work today.

Dave :salute:

MarkH
September 26th, 2012, 23:03
CumulusX! has a fetaure called 'smart tow', which lets you designate any aircraft as a glider tug. But this only lets you tow gliders, nothing else. I don't think general towing of other things is supprted in FSX, which is why Aerosoft ships WinchX! with its Discus gliders (the ones with engines can't be towed by a tug). I would guess that any 'banner tow' functions are just custom animations on a model. The original GAS PCA-2 has a banner tow function, but it's just a 'show/hide' visual thing linked up to the tailhook toggle.

orionll
September 27th, 2012, 07:44
There's also a tool called Aerotow: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6497.

Dave Torkington
September 27th, 2012, 08:06
PM sent :salute: