PDA

View Full Version : RAF Airfields

jdhaenens
October 3rd, 2008, 18:42
Ian,

If you're going to keep doing those RAF Bases, you're going to need some of these:

Tako_Kichi
October 3rd, 2008, 19:01
OOO very nice. I have some very similar to those I was working on with a buddy for a RAF base we were updating. The model is done and I was just waiting for my buddy to extract his digit and finish painting them! :costumes:

IanP
October 4th, 2008, 04:02
Thanks Jim... I suspect they're rather more modern than the airfields I'm doing at the moment, but if I ever get around to improving the more modern bases (which I do want to do) then I will start begging! :d

I have a texturing issue at the moment with the ones that I downloaded from Flightsim.com - the grass on the back of the shelters at Cosford is far too bright. Not sure whether to do anything about it or not, as it appears you can't adjust object textures by season now, so they'll always look wrong at some point.

Ian P.

jdhaenens
October 4th, 2008, 04:22
Older than Alconbury? These just look new because of the fresh paint job. :icon_lol:

IanP
October 4th, 2008, 05:00
The ones I'm doing at the moment mainly have hangars designed to pre-war specs, many of which actually date back to WW1, having seen the drawing numbers (which include the year). My request for information from the RAF Museum resulted in my being sent a 777 page document of drawing numbers, so I might be looking some time for all of the ones I want! :icon_lol:

I was looking at doing a USAF base after a couple more RAF ones, to give the A2A P-47 and B-17 somewhere to live, so they may well have different hangars but all the ones I've looked at so have have been T.2 and B.1 types.

It's quite probable that Alconbury, Lakenheath and similar had new hangars built to deal with the Cold War rather WW2.

Cheers,

Ian P.