PDA

View Full Version : Time for a system rebuild

OBIO
September 23rd, 2012, 10:20
Yep....time to archive the files I want to keep, dump those I don't want or need....deep format my HDs and do a full reinstall of Win 7, update it, reinstall all my programs, then begin a new build of FS9 (and this time I SWEAR I am only going to install the planes that I actually fly on a regular basis). This system has been up and running since March 2010 and I could not tell you the number of files and programs that have been on and off of this system in that time. The registry file must be a complete mess! At one point, when I had 4 fully loaded and tweaked installs of FS9 going, I had over 5 million files on my active drives.

Will be offline for a few days, maybe a week while I get the system cleaned out, rebuilt, updated and running ship shape again.

OBIO

Ickie
September 23rd, 2012, 11:27
thinking on the same thing, it has been since spring of 09 for this puter, vista upgraded to win 7

PRB
September 23rd, 2012, 11:52
... (and this time I SWEAR I am only going to install the planes that I actually fly on a regular basis)....

NEVER happen! At some point you always want to fly something you have't flown in a long time, then you have to install it. I've given up on this. What I do now is make a folder called "aircraft_hold", into which I place the planes I don't think I will fly "very often". Then, when I want to fly them (and I always do), I move it (not copy) to the "aircraft" folder. I'm always managing what planes are in each folder, to keep the FS load time down.

- Paul

hawkeye52
September 23rd, 2012, 13:33
I do the same as PRB, except I call mine "Hangars". I have a series of hangars e.g., WW II Navy, Airliners, GA etcetera. I have separate hangars for FS9, FS9 Retro and CFS2.

Oh, and VERY important: I move aircraft between hangars and the flight line (& vice-versa) by cutting & pasting, NOT by copying. That keeps everything orderly as well as avoiding duplication.

- H52

P.S.: I built an FS-dedicated PC which has 3 disk partitions. O/S on one, a second partition for sim-related files such as AirEd, AFCAD, Traffic Tools, etc. and finally, a third partition EXCLUSIVELY for the sims.

Advantage? Sims load much faster and if I ever experience a sluggish PC, I can simply reload the O/S without touching anything on the other two partitions. Of course, I backup EVERYTHING before touching the O/S :icon_lol:

PeteHam
September 23rd, 2012, 13:33
......(and this time I SWEAR I am only going to install the planes that I actually fly on a regular basis).
OBIO

Yeah Right ..... I had the same good intentions when I had a new rebuild last year. :icon_lol:

Currently there's about 47Gb of aircraft installed ( including alot of AI ) !!

You'll have to be very disciplined Tim ...... :jump:

Pete.

EasyEd
September 23rd, 2012, 17:44
Hey All, My FS9 install was created Oct 29, 2006 and I'm still using it and have been through all kinds of trials and tribulations with it - viruses to gauge scenery conflicts you name it. I am thinking about a new computer though as more and more stuff is beginning to not work. -Ed-

robert41
September 23rd, 2012, 18:21
On my old P4, FS9/GW3 machine, I had every old/vintage aircraft and scenery that I could find installed. A huge mess. After that machine died, I had built a new I7 machine for FSX, about 4 years ago. Mostly for A2A's B17, I had to have it. Also, I decided I was going to keep this new install simple. And so far, I have 32 aircraft permanently installed, including the defaults, and 28 aircraft I keep in a hangar folder. Biggest scenery install is GEX North America, gets rid of the sandy mountains, and FS water configurator. And about 50 or so addon sceneries that I use on and off. My setup is similar to H52's. 3 partitions, one OS, one FSX, one storage.

OBIO
September 23rd, 2012, 18:24
My system currently has 3 internal drives and one external drive. C drive (OS, anti-virus, Photoshop, and such) is 250 gig. D drive (my sim installs, mesh and scenery folders, Photoshop files for my paints) is a 1Tb drive. E drive (for backing up my sims mostly) is a 500 gig drive. My current external is a 120gig drive....looking to supplement that with a new 1Tb Sata to use on the built in external dock on the top of my puter case.

I am looking at a format and deep clean of C and D drives.....have had so many files on and off of these drives, have collected so many files that I don't actually need but they just tend to stay tucked away in folders and more folders.....

I have found that a yearly format and rebuild of the operating system and a general clearing out of all the "junk" keeps the performance level up and seems to reduce HD failures (I don't know if that is true...but I have not had a HD failure since I began doing periodic formats and rebuilds...but then again, none of my HDs are pushing the 10 year mark like the ones in my last few systems were).

OBIO

hawkeye52
September 25th, 2012, 08:29
In my earlier post I neglected to mention that I have a RAID 1 setup in my FS PC (actually, on all my PCs). RAID makes frequent backups less critical.

- h52