PDA

View Full Version : OT: "Valkyrie" minireview

dswo
January 1st, 2009, 15:36
I saw it this afternoon and had the bad taste to enjoy it, pace all the reviewers. If you could forget about Tom Cruise's off-screen life, he wasn't a distraction. Marvelous, nuanced performances by Terence Stamp, Tom Wilkinson, and Bill Nighy especially. Also notable: craftsmanship of costumes and sets. Tempelhof c. 1944 was recognizable from the Lionheart scenery, but the standout (I thought) was Hitler's Salzberg retreat, the Berghof. Good exterior model, and an interior scene with the famous big window. Someone did her homework for this one. Actors who played Hitler and his inner circle -- Goebbels, Goering, Himmler, Speer -- recognizable but not as well cast as their counterparts in the German "Downfall." Lots of Ju-52 close-ups.

Scratch
January 1st, 2009, 16:31
Thanks for the review. That one has been on my 'maybe' list. The critics have hammered the snot out of it for weeks now. Do you think they have been unfair?

heywooood
January 1st, 2009, 17:59
uff - I saw it last night and man the casting was just brutal

the writing was not much better - the scenes with Cruise on the phone with his accomplices as he was running the plan through was so reminiscent of the phone scenes from Rainman when he was trying to move those Lambourginis that I couldn't get past it - I was waiting for Dustin Hoffman to come into the shot at any moment.

I guess they researched the details of the plot well enough and inserted all the appropriate judgemental commentary that Hollywood loves to insert in historical pieces like this - man I wish they would just tell the story one time without the nauseating embellishements of hindsight and empiricality - its why foreign directors and film companies are so much better with historical films than we are in the States.

familton
January 1st, 2009, 18:06
I saw it yesterday. I liked it but a bunch of actors with real English accents turned me off. The scenery and military stuff and uniforms was GREAT. They could have found some Klauses or Hans to do the acting and someone more German acting than Cruise. Regards, Bob.

txnetcop
January 2nd, 2009, 02:20
uff - I saw it last night and man the casting was just brutal the writing was not much better - the scenes with Cruise on the phone with his accomplices as he was running the plan through was so reminiscent of the phone scenes from Rainman when he was trying to move those Lambourginis that I couldn't get past it - I was waiting for Dustin Hoffman to come into the shot at any moment.

I guess they researched the details of the plot well enough and inserted all the appropriate judgemental commentary that Hollywood loves to insert in historical pieces like this - man I wish they would just tell the story one time without the nauseating embellishements of hindsight and empiricality - its why foreign directors and film companies are so much better with historical films than we are in the States.

I saw it because we went with our newly married serviceman and wife...she loves Tom Cruise...oh well. I must admit I started out viewing it critically but as it progressed I did start to enjoy the movie a bit. It is worth seeing. The close-ups of the JU-52 were great as well. I agree with Heywood that for the most part the European directors seem to do a better job with historical films involving their respective countries. I gave the movie a B- and we all seemed to agree on that after comparing notes. Of course Megan gave Tom an A for looks.
Ted

Bjoern
January 3rd, 2009, 07:30
I've seen the trailer and I wasn't impressed.
Maybe not bad for a free interpretation of the whole assassination attempt and the following events, but no chance for depth.

It appears to be more of an "Average Joe" version of this one (which itself is veryveryvery worth a watch if you liked "Downfall"):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388437/

Panther_99FS
January 3rd, 2009, 10:15
"The History Channel" did a special integrating the film production to the real life event.

"THC" gave the film kudos in a couple of historical areas....

stiz
January 3rd, 2009, 10:29
the thing thats putting me off the most is that going by the trailers, that not one of the cast even tried to do a german accent :kilroy:

CodyValkyrie
January 3rd, 2009, 10:41
You mean, Tom Cruise being required to actually ACT?

deimos256
January 3rd, 2009, 13:46
I saw it and historically its dead on, the story, the uniforms, the scenery all very good, but since i already knew the whole story it certainly didnt have me sitting on the edge of my seat, it was more of a high end documentary than anything

Bjoern
January 3rd, 2009, 14:32
the thing thats putting me off the most is that going by the trailers, that not one of the cast even tried to do a german accent :kilroy:

Please no! This would have undermined the credibility of the movie even more!

Only let native english speakers do german accents *for fun*. Anything else is destined to fail from the start.

Big_Stick
January 3rd, 2009, 17:06
Please no! This would have undermined the credibility of the movie even more!

Only let native english speakers do german accents *for fun*. Anything else is destined to fail from the start.

"Combat" reruns are far more authentic. The Germans actually speak German and there are no phony accents or subtitles. I am waiting for "Defiance" with Daniel Craig.

harleyman
January 4th, 2009, 06:22
Its on my List just to see the Junkers...

Tom Cruise to me doesn't play into that at all....LOL

Bjoern
January 4th, 2009, 10:28
"Combat" reruns are far more authentic. The Germans actually speak German and there are no phony accents or subtitles.

It's always good to have native languages in movies/series.

I usually watch movies in english, because the time of glorious dubbing into german is o-v-e-r.