PDA

View Full Version : The Great Escape 1963

Dangerousdave26
September 18th, 2012, 08:33
Its always been one of my favorite movies...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057115/

Now here we are in 2012 and

DADA

The Great Escape 2012 a remake

Mexican authorities have detained a prison director and two other prison officials after 132 inmates escaped from the facility Monday, officials said.

Rumor has it the name of the prison director was Wilhelm Klink.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/18/world/americas/mexico-prison-riot/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Funny how history repeats its self.

Fortunately at least for these escapees they are not likely to face the firing squad if and when they are captured.

Dain Arns
September 18th, 2012, 12:24
All I had to do was read the title to the thread, and the movie's theme music started playing in my head. :icon_lol:
On my list of the great 'MAN' movies to watch, like 'The Dirty Dozen'.

stiz
September 18th, 2012, 13:03
the most annoying thing is .. the real event was far better than the film, which in pure hollywood style, butchered it completly :frown: but the theme tune rocks! :icon_lol:

Jagdflieger
September 18th, 2012, 14:57
I really enjoyed the film when I was growing up.

The list of actors is without a doubt from the A list.

brad kaste
September 18th, 2012, 16:07
I really enjoyed the film when I was growing up.

The list of actors is without a doubt from the A list.

Amen to that! One of my all time favorite character actors was in the flick,.....Donald Pleasence.

Dain Arns
September 18th, 2012, 16:30
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/Leorstef/steve-mcqueen_zps99942b32.jpg

(Pic says it all)

Dangerousdave26
September 18th, 2012, 17:42
Steve McQueen would not agree to do the movie unless they put that motorcycle chase scene in it.

Naismith
September 18th, 2012, 21:59
Sobering thought, Steve McQueen if he were alive today would be 82!

Dain Arns
September 19th, 2012, 09:24
Steve McQueen would not agree to do the movie unless they put that motorcycle chase scene in it.

And who was the German soldier chasing Steve McQueen on a motorcycle?
It was Steve McQueen.
A lot of the long distance shots in the scene were of McQueen dressed as the soldier. :icon_lol:

As a lot of folks know, Steve was not allowed to do "The Jump" on film by the insurance company.
It was his good friend, Bud Ekins.
The day of the filming, they didn't know if it could be done, but Bud did it in one take and all were impressed.

Actually, Steve, Bud and a couple other guys went out the day before and worked on the jump over and over, increasing the distance and height each time.
They just didn't tell anyone that info, the next day during filming. :icon_lol:
Steve was frustrated he couldn't do the jump on film, but he did take the bike out and made the jump anyways just to prove to all that he could.

Dangerousdave26
September 19th, 2012, 12:30
Yep that was bud who took the slide into the wire which was made out of rubber. Good ole movie trick :icon_lol:

McQueen was really troubled in the beginning about his roll in the movie. He was dressed rather simply while James Garner (another movie Great) was dressed in a spiffy uniform. He had not quite got the feel for his roll and wanted to quit. It was James Garner and someone else (forgive me forgetting who) explained it to him. Then he wore the roll of the Cocky Hot Shot American Pilot like a pro. He became the keystone to making the escape happen on time by escaping himself and letting himself get caught or turning himself in.

I have the making of the movie on DVD and it is as interesting as the movie itself.

I also have the distinction of having known Dave Adams. He was for a time one of the American prisoners in the camp. He once told me that the movie was pretty much just how it happened. The only thing that was different was there were no Americans in the camp during the escape. The Germans had opened a new camp for Americans and they were all moved there prior.

Dave was crew member of a bomber the type of plane escapes me but I want to say B-17. When they returned after his first mission the plane was so shot up they could not believe it was still flying. His 4th mission they did not make it back. He spent the rest of the war as POW.

The Telegraph to his parents used to hang on the wall in his living room. I remember reading it but I can't remember word for word what it said.