PDA

View Full Version : Security Flaw in IE...plus a link for a fix

paiken
September 17th, 2012, 18:36
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/microsoft-urges-customers-install-security-tool-1B5948322

"Microsoft urged Windows users on Monday to install a free piece of security software to protect PCs from a newly discovered bug in the Internet Explorer browser.
The security flaw, which researchers say could allow hackers to take remote control of an infected PC, affects Internet Explorer browsers used by hundreds of millions of consumers and workers. Microsoft said it will advise customers on its website to install the security software as an interim measure, buying it time to fix the bug and release a new, more secure version of Internet Explorer."

Break out the tin-foil hats!

hey_moe
September 18th, 2012, 02:20
Nice find, thanks for the heads up...Mike :wavey:

Dangerousdave26
September 18th, 2012, 03:30
Make sure you read this part of the article.

Some security experts said computer users should avoid Internet Explorer, even if they install the EMET security tool available from Microsoft.

"It doesn't appear to be completely effective," said Tod Beardsley, an engineering manager with the security firm Rapid7.

Dain Arns
September 18th, 2012, 05:43
I got that covered, Dangerousdave26.
I've been avoiding IE for over a decade now. :icon_lol: :wavey:

stansdds
September 19th, 2012, 01:48
I got that covered, Dangerousdave26.
I've been avoiding IE for over a decade now. :icon_lol: :wavey:

Same here, but my wife swears by IE. Care to guess whose computer gets the most malware?

Naismith
September 19th, 2012, 01:54
Oddly enough I got more malware when I tried Firefox than my IE. I use both and somehow that Google one sneaked on the PC recently and sits there unused.

hey_moe
September 19th, 2012, 02:03
I have been using both IE and FF. One of the biggest reasons I stopped using FF was because RoboForum wouldn't work. But I noticed they have made another update and it now works....YEPEEEE! As far as I am concerned it really doesn't matter which one you use,you can still get attacks once you are on the internet.

pfflyers
September 19th, 2012, 06:55
If I had a nickel for every patch I've installed to fix a flaw that "could allow hackers to take remote control of an infected PC" I'd have a pretty nice PC for those hackers to hijack. I really don't know what that means, but it's what every patch presumes to fix. How many such flaws can there be?

Dain Arns
September 19th, 2012, 09:42
If I am forced to use IE, as some sites do, I still use FF with an add-on called 'IE Tab' that covers that.

So far, knock on wood, I've been malware free for the past few years now since I took an active interest in preventing it.
I block a lot of stuff using Ghostery, BetterPrivacy, and NoScript with FF, for examples.
I still do a daily scan as well.

Tom Clayton
September 19th, 2012, 12:32
The only thing I've found that doesn't get along with IE is Google+. But I'm not surprised by that at all, since Google is so heavily involved in Linux/Android.

Ickie
September 20th, 2012, 10:46
since adding the temp fix program spell check no longer works, it kills the webpage.

Ickie
September 22nd, 2012, 05:19
I see i have a M$ update installed on my computer and it is waitting for me to restart the computer to complete the install, maybe it is the fix?
I will restart as soon as i am finished with my soh duties, lol

Terry
September 22nd, 2012, 05:54
It was an IE9 update at 25 meg. Everything is working fine after install.

PSULLYKEYS
September 22nd, 2012, 06:00
After my troubles, I don't go online with anything made by microsoft. Sad after all this time.:kilroy:

aeromed202
September 22nd, 2012, 09:21
So after figuring it might be a good idea to drop in the EMET thing, I did. Afterwards, my machine took waaaayyy longer to start up. The blue Welcome screen loiters well after the startup sound is done, then I get to view just my background image for a time (which is at least a very nice sunset over the mountains), then after another waiting period the icons finally arrived. Well I was less than enthusiastic for this particular tool especially since I use IE only under duress. I uninstalled the bugger and things went back to more or less normal. Today I get the yellow "You Have Updates" notice from MS, and it's an IE8 security update. I naively allowed that to install and I was back to the slow start deal all over again! I finally had to do a restore to get things back before the whole mess because I was unable to remove the IE8 update alone. I wonder if with XP being abandoned soon, MS relegated any remaining support to the junior staff?

Ickie
September 23rd, 2012, 05:54
I dropped the emet thing and it took me 4 hours :icon_eek: to get up and running today, it took out my front page 2003 and i could not make it work, my web exspressions 2.0 quit working too, lucky my office 2007 can still edit webpages.

Ickie
September 23rd, 2012, 08:29
I am not sure which was worse, the threat or the M$ fix.
I had to put front page on my old gamming rig, as word 2007 doesn't format correctly, all together about 6 hours to fix my computer or find another way to work on the internet.

heck if I won the lottery i would just unplug from the internet for good and enjoy the rest of my life.... :sheep:

aeromed202
September 23rd, 2012, 13:08
I'm over my head with understanding this but here is one link that I sort of was able to follow..

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/microsoft-shuffles-windows-security-deck-emet-21-831

One problem I probably have for sure is XP because it looks like this update was directed more at W7.