PDA

View Full Version : Starship!

Ferry_vO
September 17th, 2012, 12:23
Found this in the Fs2004 forum and it port over quite well! The usual cloud/prop issue, but most switches are clickable in the VC.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/Starship_FsX1.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/Starship_FsX2.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/Starship_FsX3.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/Starship_FsX4.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/Starship_FsX5.jpg

You can find it over at Simviation.

:)

Lionheart
September 17th, 2012, 13:14
Very nice!

Beautiful work. Thanks for the heads up, Ferry.

Bill

krazycolin
September 17th, 2012, 14:10
Everytime i see this plane, I want to build it but... damn, that FMS is just a back-breaker... (so is the engine management system)...

Anyone mind if we throw in a UNS instead?:ques:

falcon409
September 17th, 2012, 17:25
Gonna have to knock out a layered paint kit and do some Hi-Res versions of the supplied liveries. . .also take a look inside and see what I can do with the VC. Nice find!!:applause:

falcon409
September 17th, 2012, 22:53
For the time being, the only bothersome parts are the black boxes behind all the gauges. I took the normal tack which was to change the color in the VC sections of the panel config file to match the background. No effect, lol. You can see from Ferry's screens, that it would look a lot nicer if they weren't there, but there are no textures in the panel folder or in the individual texture folders that seem to affect those boxes.

Aside from that, a prop change is in order for FSX and maybe an interior color tweak, but otherwise it's good as is. This was a combined effort by a family (a Father and his son's) that custom made all the gauges, produced the FDE and did the aircraft design work and texturing. Pretty impressive. I was going to send off an e-mail to thank them and to ask a few questions, but the readme only contains a brief statement, basically saying..."We did this on our own, start to finish" Hope you enjoy it. No way to get in touch with them.

It's worth a look-see for those who can look past some imperfections and just enjoy flying the only Starship with a VC that I'm aware of for now.:applause:

warchild
September 18th, 2012, 09:34
Colin..
If you build it, they will come ;) UNS/ FMS.. I'm no purist.. give me a gps and i'm happy..

warchild
September 18th, 2012, 09:36
For the time being, the only bothersome parts are the black boxes behind all the gauges. I took the normal tack which was to change the color in the VC sections of the panel config file to match the background. No effect, lol. You can see from Ferry's screens, that it would look a lot nicer if they weren't there, but there are no textures in the panel folder or in the individual texture folders that seem to affect those boxes.

Aside from that, a prop change is in order for FSX and maybe an interior color tweak, but otherwise it's good as is. This was a combined effort by a family (a Father and his son's) that custom made all the gauges, produced the FDE and did the aircraft design work and texturing. Pretty impressive. I was going to send off an e-mail to thank them and to ask a few questions, but the readme only contains a brief statement, basically saying..."We did this on our own, start to finish" Hope you enjoy it. No way to get in touch with them.

It's worth a look-see for those who can look past some imperfections and just enjoy flying the only Starship with a VC that I'm aware of for now.:applause:

i agree... the plane looks great.. One hell of a lookee what we did statement..

dharris
September 18th, 2012, 12:22
Colin..
If you build it, they will come ;) UNS/ FMS.. I'm no purist.. give me a gps and i'm happy..
Same here. it does not need everything, just a great model and a real nice handling.

OleBoy
September 18th, 2012, 17:04
Same here. it does not need everything, just a great model and a real nice handling.

Ditto. The Starship has been an interest of mine for quite some time now. Someone who knows flight dynamics could make this one really shine all the way around. I'd buy it.

MenendezDiego
September 18th, 2012, 17:11
These are always a treat to see IRL!

Sundog
September 19th, 2012, 14:46
Everytime i see this plane, I want to build it but... damn, that FMS is just a back-breaker... (so is the engine management system)...

Anyone mind if we throw in a UNS instead?:ques:

I'm not an FMS purist. Make an accurate model with a decent FDE and I'm happy. I'm still flying Mike Stone's release in FSX.

falcon409
September 19th, 2012, 21:46
Well, getting back to the freeware Starship. . .I started redoing the VC with Hi-Res textures, tried a few of the ones I finished and noticed that some of what I did on each texture didn't show in the sim. . .some did, others were the same textures as the default. Hmmmm, ok. . .so I set that aside for the time being and decided to look at the Fuselage textures (plural). . .ummmm no, just one texture for everything, fuselage, wings, vertical stab, horizontal stab....ok. . .what I discovered (unless someone is able to decipher the style of texturing used) is that the parts that are textured and show prominently on that one texture are simply small bits here and there on the external. The main skin get's it's color from a small white square in the upper right of the texture plate....the remaining colors, namely the stripes use colors provided by additional small squares down one side of the texture. Apparently the only way to actually do any liveries is to get the source code and texture it in the model stage. It seems strange because they supplied textures for virtually every other part of the airplane (engines, Avionics, wheels, wheel wells, interior cabin and virtual cockpit). It's as if they forgot to include the actual fuselage texture. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before. Plus, they didn't include any way to contact them in their readme, which, if you've read it, is about 2 lines long.

Now if anyone else has figured this out already, please pass on your findings, it would be appreciated.

falcon409
September 20th, 2012, 21:01
I'm curious. . . .there has been some talk from time to time about wanting to see a Starship for FS9/FSX. . .not in huge numbers, but there is often talk about it being nice if something like that could be done. The only other one around right now is Mike Stone's which has no VC. Anyway, this one conveniently pops up around the time a few folks again mentioned the need for a Starship. Initially, there was some enthusiasm voiced over this finally coming to FS9/FSX when it was posted as being available at Simviation. Then it seems that as quickly as the enthusiasm rose up....it died completely, lol. Lots of views, few comments. A few things I know.....the FDE is ok, but not where it should be, in FSX, it needs a new prop blur, in general there are some things about the texturing I don't understand and I'm trying to contact the developer to get a handle on those concerns. So can anyone shed some insight into why it was initially received quite well, only to die on the vine?

One comparison I would make is that when Ito San releases a new airplane, we all know that the FDE is going to be a "plain vanilla" version, sometimes using a totally different baseline FDE that doesn't even match the airplane, lol. . .but, with a few exceptions folks are all over the airplane, making mods, updating the FDE, etc and in very short order it's been "fixed" to the delight of his followers, lol. Now move to the Starship...a popular airplane that many folks have been hoping for and there's no interest at all in doing anything with the FDE or any other enhancements. Just strikes me as strange.

For the record. . .I don't care about the FDE....it taxi's, it takes off, it flies, it climbs, it descends and it lands...everything an airplane should do as far as I can remember. It takes a bit to slow it down, but that's what the spoilers and flaps are for. If you plan far enough ahead you can make a nice smooth landing at around 110 to 120 and have it stopped and off the rwy before you're anywhere near the overrun. I like the airplane, I know there are others who do as well, I'm just curious about the lack of any comments or basic chatter about the airplane. Okay, that's all I've got, lol.:salute:

stanova
September 22nd, 2012, 15:32
Nice pics! Thanks for the compliments!

One comparison I would make is that when Ito San releases a new airplane, we all know that the FDE is going to be a "plain vanilla" version, sometimes using a totally different baseline FDE that doesn't even match the airplane, lol. . .but, with a few exceptions folks are all over the airplane, making mods, updating the FDE, etc and in very short order it's been "fixed" to the delight of his followers, lol. Now move to the Starship...a popular airplane that many folks have been hoping for and there's no interest at all in doing anything with the FDE or any other enhancements. Just strikes me as strange.

Im fixing up the credits now, and I am really excited to see people wanting to polish the dynamics. Please feel free to modify her! My email is Chodekus@gmail.com, I will try to get back to you soon.

falcon409
September 22nd, 2012, 15:37
Welcome to the FSX side Matt. Looking forward to more on the Starship.