PDA

View Full Version : Dino's F-35B A Question

whitney17
September 17th, 2012, 09:39
Hi,

Unlike many of you I'm not a fly by the book kind of guy. As those who bought Dino's F-35 know, The B model can't go into Hover mode until the plane's weight is down to 42,000 lbs. That means you have to dump a lot of fuel. Subsequently you run out of gas in the middle of all the fun. Is there away around this and have the F-35B hover with unlimited fuel?

Dino, if you read this, can you add this option to your next update. Also, the airplane symbol in the Terr. page of the PMD is almost impossible to see. Can you change the color to something other than white.

Thanks,

Joe

DaveWG
September 17th, 2012, 11:07
You could probably edit the aircraft.cfg to set the amount of on board fuel to a suitable level, then enable "unlimited fuel" in FSX itself.

Lionheart
September 17th, 2012, 13:13
Here's an idea. Edit the Air file, section 311, and make the fuel weigh 3 or 2 LBs per gallon instead of 6+. :D Save and test.

Bill

rcbarend
September 17th, 2012, 13:13
Hi,

Unlike many of you I'm not a fly by the book kind of guy. As those who bought Dino's F-35 know, The B model can't go into Hover mode until the plane's weight is down to 42,000 lbs. That means you have to dump a lot of fuel. Subsequently you run out of gas in the middle of all the fun. Is there away around this and have the F-35B hover with unlimited fuel?

Dino, if you read this, can you add this option to your next update.Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe,

I can't speak for Dino, but personally I don't think such a thing is worth to make an option.
If only, because options need to be explained again, and can be confusing :)

That said: It's very simple to change this yourself if you want.

In folder .../F-35B/Panel/rcb-gauges/ there is a file named VSTOLControlIPC_Function.xml
1. For safety, make a backup of this file.
2. Open the file (which is just plain text) with Windows Notepad.
3. Search for the string 42000 and replace it by e.g 62000
4. And save the file.

Now you can hover with unlimited fuel and payload :)

Regards, Rob

Naismith
September 17th, 2012, 13:19
The subject of F-35's come up in this skit. I apologise in advance.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0jgZKV4N_A

Lionheart
September 17th, 2012, 19:16
Hi Joe,

I can't speak for Dino, but personally I don't think such a thing is worth to make an option.

In folder .../F-35B/Panel/rcb-gauges/ there is a file named VSTOLControlIPC_Function.xml
4. And save the file.

Regards, Rob

Cool! I'll have to try this. Thanks Rob.

tommieboy
September 17th, 2012, 19:29
......Now you can hover with unlimited fuel and payload :)

Regards, Rob

Thanks Rob......:santahat:

Dino Cattaneo
September 18th, 2012, 13:08
@whitney17

I understand your point but I believe the weight limitation is quite an important feature (and besides Rob provided a backup solution - once again, thank you)!

As for the visibility of the plane icon in terrain map mode, well...honestly I do not consider this an important issue, but I'll see if I can make a quick improvement for the upcoming update.
By the way, the reason why it is grey-shaded rather than altitude color-coded (as it was in 1.0 version) is to mimic terrain reconstruction features of the new avionic suite - it is a gimmick...I know...

Dino Cattaneo
September 18th, 2012, 13:11
@Naismith

...funny sketch by the way!

whitney17
September 19th, 2012, 15:11
Hi Joe,

4. And save the file.

Regards, Rob

Hi Rob,

Sorry to take so long to thank you, but the press of business and a wife has prevented me from trying out your suggestion until today. I maxed out the weight to 70,000, which supposedly is the max gross weight. It works great. However, even though I've set the sim to "unlimited fuel" the fuel levels continue to go down. I haven't had time to fly long enough to see if the plane crashes, but I thought I shouldn't wait any longer to thank you for your advice and your great work in designing the "hover mode" in the first place.

Thanks again,

Joe

rcbarend
September 19th, 2012, 16:03
Hi Rob,

Sorry to take so long to thank you, but the press of business and a wife has prevented me from trying out your suggestion until today. I maxed out the weight to 70,000, which supposedly is the max gross weight. It works great. However, even though I've set the sim to "unlimited fuel" the fuel levels continue to go down. I haven't had time to fly long enough to see if the plane crashes, but I thought I shouldn't wait any longer to thank you for your advice and your great work in designing the "hover mode" in the first place.

Thanks again,

Joe

Hi Joe,

The "patch" you made, and the "unlimited fuel" setting have no relation.
With the "patch", there's no need to set "unlimited fuel" anymore.

I think you have the wrong idea what the FSX realisme option "unlimited fuel" does.
It doesn't prevent tanks being emptied while you fly; it only prevents engine shutdown when your tanks are empty, so you can keep on flying with zero fuel.

Regards, Rob

whitney17
September 20th, 2012, 11:14
Rob,

Thanks for the clarification.

Joe