PDA

View Full Version : Cfo_weather crashes CFS2 in Win7 x64

tiger1962
September 16th, 2012, 04:04
Hi All,
I'm trying to install cfo_weather.dll (version 7.5.7) in the CFS2 Modules folder but it crashes the sim at the splash screen with the message:

"Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator Module has stopped working"

I have tried the older version (which does nothing at all), also tried removing FSUIPC 2.9.7.5 in case it conflicted but no luck.
I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and have CFS2.exe running in compatibility mode with Win98/WinME as admin, with nVidia Inspector configuring graphics.
Without cfo_weather.dll, CFS2 runs fine so no major problem, but I would like to play with some of the cfo_weather features if possible.
Best regards,
Tim Wright

bearcat241
September 16th, 2012, 09:05
Tim,

If the CFO dll is truly the source of the problem, creating an [OldModules] section in your CFS2.cfg and adding the following line (in bold) to your CFS2.cfg file may help:

[OldModules]
FSSound.dll=1
GaugeSound.dll=1
cfo_weather.dll=1

This method always solves the problem of questionable legacy dll's in FS series and has proven equally effective for me in CFS2 as well. You can do this for any legacy dll that causes a hiccup. You can also do this for any legacy gauges by creating an [OldGauges] section in the cfg and adding them to it:

[OldGauges]
00.DC3-TGL30.ca.gau=1
00.DC3-TGL31.ca.gau=1
00.DC3-TGL34.ca.gau=1
CFR1_fpda_dummy_switch_1.gau=1
zSperry.markiii.gau=1
Sperry.markiii.gau=1
Sperry.markiii.fo.gau=1
Sperry.markiiifo.gau=1
rww2-Sperry.markiii=1

tiger1962
September 16th, 2012, 22:39
Thanks Bearcat,
I have used [OldModules] in FS9.cfg for years but didn't realise it could be used in CFS2.cfg - unfortunately it hasn't helped, cfs still crashes with the cfo_weather.dll installed. The fact that you regard it as an "old" module makes me wonder whether cfo_weather.dll is even necessary these days - does anyone still use it? I understand it was necessary for multiplayer use but I'm a newbie & still getting my arse shot off on "Easy" settings in quick combat!
Thanks again, Tim

bearcat241
September 17th, 2012, 01:03
Thanks Bearcat,
I have used [OldModules] in FS9.cfg for years but didn't realise it could be used in CFS2.cfg - unfortunately it hasn't helped, cfs still crashes with the cfo_weather.dll installed. The fact that you regard it as an "old" module makes me wonder whether cfo_weather.dll is even necessary these days - does anyone still use it? I understand it was necessary for multiplayer use but I'm a newbie & still getting my arse shot off on "Easy" settings in quick combat!
Thanks again, Tim

No addon is necessary Tim, they're all just options. I still have my CFO installation in every theater package, but if i had to play without i certainly could. And i can play every install on my Win7 x64 platform with no probs, although i prefer to use my XP paltform. If its causing you trouble that you can't fix, let it go. BTW, did you install the HIK_Patrol.Flt file into the SITUATIO folder as instructed?:

Quote:

1. Within the Cfo Weather distribution you will find a SITUATIO folder. In that folder you will find the following files:

HIK_Patrol.Flt

tiger1962
September 17th, 2012, 09:50
Hi Bearcat, yes I have the HIK_Patrol.Flt installed - I'm thinking now that I have tweaked cfs2.cfg so that something is "0" that should be "1" (or vice-versa) for cfo_weather.dll to function, or my nVidia inspector settings are out of its' range - a bit of a minefield to say the least, so I'll let it go!
Thanks again, Tim

rhumbaflappy
September 17th, 2012, 10:42
It's not Windows 7. It runs fine on my system with no tweaks or work-arounds. I am using 7.5.4

Dick

tiger1962
September 17th, 2012, 12:44
Gentlemen thank you both, it WAS a cfs2.cfg setting, I changed:

Advanced Weather=0
to:
Advanced Weather=1

And now now all is well - if this is in the cfo_weather read-me I must have missed it.

Thank you again,
Tim Wright