PDA

View Full Version : Resemblance to real airbattle

Mattias1
January 1st, 2009, 08:15
Best CFS-friends!

I have played CFS (1) off and on for several years now. For a year now I have been playing almost every day. I canīt say that I survive very long, because I donīt. Usually I get shot down by enemy aircraft or sometimes I collide with another aircraft. When I do campaigns with 100+ aircrafts I rarely survive more than 5 minutes. So my questions are...

Was this what it was like in WW2?
Did it happen a lot that someone accidentaly collided with enemy or friendly aircrafts?
How long did an average pilot survive?

These are probably questions that have been asked before, but I havenīt been able to find them.

Best regards/
Mattias
Sweden

Buddha13
January 1st, 2009, 08:20
Hi,
This might answer your question,
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Life_expectancy_for_a_world_war_2_pilot

Buddha13

Ivan
January 1st, 2009, 14:12
Hello Mattias1,

Collisions in CFS are quite a lot more common than one would expect because they are not based on the size (Scrape Points) of an aircraft but are instead based on a "Collision Bubble". We had a pretty good discussion quite some time ago on this subject, and the basics are this:

The collision bubble is a sphere of a given radius which causes the aircraft to collide / explode if another object comes within this radius. If you look at a real aircraft, it is fairly wide, but not all that deep top to bottom. I figure that even with slight contact, an aircraft will likely survive a collision, so a vertical separation of 3-4 meters is plenty.

In CFS, the standard collision bubble is 10 meters (05) for a single engine fighter. Reducing the value to 03 brings this down to 7 meters and 02 brings this down to 5 meters which I think is a good value for vertical separation. Now if you use the value 02, it means that the separation is still 5 meters even if you are flying alongside another aircraft (unless the other aircraft has a bigger collision bubble).

This is a value that is set in the MDL file rather than the AIR file. I tested these values on a head-to-head gaming setup (two computers and a null modem) in my living room by landing one aircraft per machine on the same runway and then taxiing them together until they blew up.

Hope that makes sense.
- Ivan.

Mattias1
January 2nd, 2009, 00:35
Thanks both Buddha 13 and Ivan!

You have given me plenty of useful information, thanks!

Mattias

Johnny
January 2nd, 2009, 19:58
~S~ All,

I think the collision bubble is set in the "Combatfs.cfg" file, at "Collision Sec=-2", I think is what most of us use and it seems to work for us. The collision bubble is at about six feet, or two meters.

j.

Ivan
January 3rd, 2009, 04:45
Hello Johnny,

That is another way to do it for your entire game. My intent is to do it for each aircraft to work with the standard unmodified game.

- Ivan.

Dogsbody1946
January 6th, 2009, 17:15
I mourn the passing of, "The Zone!" But I have been told by a very helpful young man from Canada, that Sim-Outhous members fly this game still, using IP addresses to connect. Well my friend and I triesd this, but got no-where fast! Whoever was hosting, could get into the Ready room, but the one who was trying to join him, could not, because the "JOIN," button remained grey and in-active! We tried for a couple of hours with no success.
Neither of us are computer nerds, so if some kind pilot would be gracious enough to write out in plain English, A language in which my friend and I are fluent, a step by step listing of the procedures necessary before one can find oneself in the ready room in CFS1, ready to take each other on! We are neither of us fluent in Computereze! So if you could word it as if you were explaining to a dim-witted child, I may be able to understand? I am also helpless when rying to assemble one of those plastic hosemobiles. Where the instructions are written out in English, by a person whose native language was Japanese! (Insert Tab "D" into slot "K" etc., etc.)
I'd like to place on Public Record my thanks and a respectful ~S~ to Tom,
aka Carnivore, for his kindness and patiencewith this old Curmudgeon! A very Happy New Year to all Sim-Outhouse Members from your Newbie Friend, Dogsbody1946

smilo
January 7th, 2009, 11:36
greetings dogbody and welcome to the outhouse.
this may take a bit, so please be patient.
we need a little information first;
what operating system are you and your friend using? XP?
hopefully, not vista.
is your internet connection through a router?
my guess would be that you are encountering the old firewall issues.
I am currently away from my "Hosting" machine for another week or so, but will be happy to see if you can join when I get back home.
until then...:welcome: