PDA

View Full Version : Obio's Virus

Hern07
October 3rd, 2008, 17:30
Re: a recently closed thread. Obio, I don't know what anti-virus you use, but I've had a lot of luck with AVG. It just cleaned up two particularly nasty varii, trojan horses. If you don't have it, give it a try. The version I used is free. Despite what others may say, I am merely thrifty, not cheap.

Corsair Freak
October 3rd, 2008, 17:46
When my gaming PC was hooked up to the net I ALWAYS used AVG, ZoneAlarm, and common sense to keep everything clean. Never had any major problems.

I always use freeware/opensource alternatives when I can.

CF

OBIO
October 3rd, 2008, 17:52
On the way home from the hospital, I was just thinking about trying AVG to see if it will find and kill the nasty that has taken over my system. I did manage to get to my DVD burner by going through Task manager and was able to burn my sound packs, repaint templates, and important sim files to DVD....so those at least are not going to be lost. Will have to do some fancy dancy file moving because I do not have my new system hooked into the net at the present time as I do not know for sure what the nasty is trying to do, and do not want anything else downloaded from the net to further infect my system.

OBIO

OBIO
October 3rd, 2008, 19:56
AVG is installed and running a full scan at the moment. After only 59,000 files, it has found 2 pieces of Adware and a hack tool. The program hasn't even hit the big time System folders yet.

Corsair Freak
October 3rd, 2008, 20:05
Good luck Obio.

CF

OBIO
October 3rd, 2008, 23:07
AVG found 2 pieces of Adware, 2 Viruses, and a Hack Tool....quarantined them and still my icons vanish.

Corsair Freak
October 4th, 2008, 08:19
Have you tried an online virus scan? Also, have you deleted your system restore points? Viruses like to hide in there, then when you use system restore to fix a problem it's still there.

CF

OBIO
October 4th, 2008, 08:39
I have the system off line...as I did not know for sure what the nasty was trying to do and did not want to give it access to the net in case it wanted to download a bunch more nasties.

I can't even get to my Restore Points...they are locked out by the nasty.

OBIO

Corsair Freak
October 4th, 2008, 08:52
Can you get into safe mode?

Fibber
October 4th, 2008, 08:56
Obio;
Do you have anything by Symantec in there? They are usually pretty good and you can contact them for advice or submission of the item for review.

OBIO
October 4th, 2008, 12:52
I had SymanteC anti-virus, but uninstalled it to give AVG a try. Symantec found nothing, while AVG found 2 pieces of Adware, 2 viruses, and a Hack Tool.

OBIO

OBIO
October 4th, 2008, 13:35
I can get into safe mode...but the same stuff happens there as it does in normal mode. Icons blink a few times and go away for ever. Restore Points are locked out.

Just had a thought..could this possibly be a hard ware problem...such as a keyboard that is acting funky? I doubt it, but will swap keyboards later...time to go visit Deb in the hospital.

OBIO