PDA

View Full Version : New Nvidia Driver Available.

Phantom88
September 13th, 2012, 15:48
They seem to really smooth out FSX Performance. Driver 306.23

http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/confirmation.php?url=/Windows/306.23/306.23-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql.exe&lang=us&type=GeForce

ramjet
September 13th, 2012, 15:57
I never seem to find out about stuff like this. I'll give it a try and see if I notice more smoothness. Thank you for your info.

Cal

falcon409
September 13th, 2012, 16:04
I have a question about these updates: If, when I read the lengthy list of updates specific to this driver, and Flightsim is never mentioned. . . .what's the difference? If the driver I have now works fine, why bother running after the next update, if it doesn't affect FSX, or for that matter, any of the Flight Simulator, family. This goes back to any driver update I've ever seen. . .they aren't concerned with Flight Sim, their drivers and updates are geared towards the gamers crowd, the guys who boast that their fps is "rock steady" at 400fps, lol. Just seems silly to continually jump at the next update when they rarely if ever affect anything I see or perceive to see "in-sim".:salute:

Phantom88
September 13th, 2012, 16:59
Yes,I suppose you are correct,Nvidia and ATI could probably give a HOOT about The Flight Sim crowd as we are small numbers compared to the New FPS Games that are flooding the PC Market.Still,I believe with every new driver they strive to make some progress in how your particuliar Video card performs,For me these made a nice difference in smooth performance,Your mileage may vary.

JIMJAM
September 13th, 2012, 17:18
Come to think of it...... Most times I really had serious issues arise or unexpected surprises like black screens of death, unable to boot, hard drive missing ect, was when I mucked with a perfectly fine system. I can remember running Driver cleaner per the "gurus" to totally eliminate all traces of a vid driver then reboot. Yeah it cleaneed the drivers out! Right along with some sytem files and some registry entries. Same with soundcard drivers,bios,motherboard. If they are working, leave em alone.
With the vid drivers if I do not see a game I am running specifially mentioned, skip it. If you just cannot stand it and feel the ocs need, then at least wait a few weeks check a forum like Guru3d first. Thats mostly the Ocers and tech heads that stay up all night chugging Red bulls running 3dmark endlessly trying to increase their benchmark speed by a few points.

Btw- After 8 years of ATI cards I finally switched over to Nvidia. Went from a 7850gt to a 660TI 2 gig. Maybe a little faster in the clouds but huds and alot of small details are glittery,sparkly looking.

Phantom88
September 13th, 2012, 18:16
JimJam,Good Point
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368431

Naismith
September 13th, 2012, 18:22
when I read the lengthy list of updates specific to this driver, and Flightsim is never mentioned. . . .
FS is now an antique in the "gaming world" 6 years on begorrah! The average teenage gamer would not believe it possible. :icon_eek:

RyanJames170
September 13th, 2012, 19:32
FS is now an antique in the "gaming world" 6 years on begorrah! The average teenage gamer would not believe it possible. :icon_eek:

Hey but i like my dinosaur of a game lol

Dain Arns
September 13th, 2012, 20:08
New drivers are welcome here.
Some of us use ours systems for these new fangled DX11 computer games too, not just FSX.

Shocking, I know! :icon_eek: :icon_lol:

Ark
September 14th, 2012, 00:10
I'm more interested in how these Drivers affect Planetside 2. lol

greenie
September 14th, 2012, 01:06
I always check out the new drivers - if it is no good it's a simple matter of putting back the old one.

The old old one wasn't broke the new one is a better form of not broke . Check it out , I am sure my visuals are deeper - better .

JAllen
September 14th, 2012, 06:27
And then, when you are not looking Windows Update installs the new driver. :pop4:

expat
September 14th, 2012, 06:43
Am in the "I never hear about these things" AND "if it ain't broke . . ." school. However, last time I - just by chance - learned about a new driver that was supposed to be good news, it sorted out some stutter and crash issues and noticeably improved FSX.

Anyone tried it and think it is better for FSX? Also, what is the right way to back up your existing (perfectly fine until you heard about a new one) driver in case you want/need to roll back to it?

Torakka
September 14th, 2012, 07:15
These drivers gave me +3-5 fps in P3D v. 1.4

spatialpro
September 14th, 2012, 09:59
Many thanks for th HU and the advice.

In my experience it doesn't just come down to the sim itself, but also what hardware (i.e. which GPU) you have, as to what improvements/detriments you get... Therefore it'd be really great to hear which GPUs you're all running when commenting on how this new driver worked.

Many thanks indeed

Andy

Phantom88
September 14th, 2012, 12:24
Quad 9650@4.1 GHz
8gigs Ram
Nvidia GTX680

Roger
September 14th, 2012, 14:24
I wouldn't be surprised if the newer drivers enhance Dx10/11 more than Dx9.

Sieggie
September 14th, 2012, 17:02
As a note, after I updated my drivers, I had to reactivate my Sigwings Birddog. Machine had a new Hardware code. Anyone else see this or is it something strange to my system?

Dave

hschuit
September 15th, 2012, 01:07
As a note, after I updated my drivers, I had to reactivate my Sigwings Birddog. Machine had a new Hardware code. Anyone else see this or is it something strange to my system?
Dave

I have the SSW Harrier & F-104's which also have regkeys which are sensitive to hardware/BIOS changes but this time no problems. The only issue I had was that I lost my antialiasing. I checked my NVidia Inspector FSX and FS2004 profiles and noticed the Antialiasing Behaviour Flag was changed from "None" to "Treat override any application setting as application-controlled". I did set it back to "None" and that solved the problem. Performance: I did not see noticable improvements but I was already happy with my setup (I use the Kosta tweaks and do not overclock anything).

My hardware: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, GTX670, 4GB RAM

cortomalteseit
September 15th, 2012, 01:45
I have the SSW Harrier & F-104's which also have regkeys which are sensitive to hardware/BIOS changes but this time no problems. The only issue I had was that I lost my antialiasing. I checked my NVidia Inspector FSX and FS2004 profiles and noticed the Antialiasing Behaviour Flag was changed from "None" to "Treat override any application setting as application-controlled". I did set it back to "None" and that solved the problem. Performance: I did not see noticable improvements but I was already happy with my setup (I use the Kosta tweaks and do not overclock anything).

The same experience for me, and no particular improvement noticed with new drivers.

stansdds
September 15th, 2012, 02:22
I have given up on the endless trial of new drivers. After years of trying every new driver that came along, I came to the conclusion that new drivers are geared towards the newest hardware and new game titles and may not show any improvement, and sometimes decreases performance, with older hardware. I am quite satisfied with the old 182.50 driver for my 8800GT. :mixedsmi:

As for allowing Windows to update drivers, I did that once with my laptop and it was a disaster. I keep automatic updates turned off. :isadizzy:

greenie
September 15th, 2012, 03:50
Well, I'm keeping this driver . It did bring back the "jaggies"' as mentioned before ...quick fix.

To answer the rollback question . I have backed up my old driver , always do , then clean out the current one with that little app "driver sweeper" ..I think i got it from guru3D(dot)com. Install the new one and see how we go . If no good remove it with driver sweeper and reinstall the old one.

I like this one, things seem just a touch smoother ( I dont do fps checks , they are deceptive ) but more so I like what it has done visually . Just a slight tweak up on contrast or shadow or something but it looks just a touch better.

Running an i7.2600k with gtx580