PDA

View Full Version : Planning on new computer for FSX

rewasiuk
September 13th, 2012, 11:47
I was thinking of replacing my computer with one that I saw at Best Buy. This computer is an HP Pavilion AMD FX8150 with 2 TB hd, 8 gb DDR 3 memory, and a ATI 7550 video card. What is your opinion on this setup as compared to the computer I have now which is an Intel I3, 6 gb DDR 3 MEMORY, and a GTX 470 video card.

mjrhealth
September 13th, 2012, 12:27
Ill press the point. I do not like brand name PC's they are not at times easy to upgrade so be weary of what you buy and read a lot. There are so many posts about what to buy for FSX just do some research save you a lot of headaches. First I am an AMD guy but Id suggest you go for an intel , not so sure the FX8150 will help. I am still waiting for AMD to get there act together as are many. ATI cards are known for performance issues with FSX clouds so stick to Nvidia, not sure if that issue has being resolved. There is a new 660 Ti out, should be good.

Damien
September 13th, 2012, 12:30
Honestly, you could probably build a better computer cheaper. I built my PC specifically for FSX and gaming in mind. I paid around $1900 for top name components and it will last for many years. upgrading components will be easy and cheaper in the long run.

-Damien

rewasiuk
September 13th, 2012, 12:37
Thanks for all of your opinions I shall act accordingly based on your opinions.

dvj
September 13th, 2012, 13:19
I was thinking of replacing my computer with one that I saw at Best Buy. This computer is an HP Pavilion AMD FX8150 with 2 TB hd, 8 gb DDR 3 memory, and a ATI 7550 video card. What is your opinion on this setup as compared to the computer I have now which is an Intel I3, 6 gb DDR 3 MEMORY, and a GTX 470 video card.

Go for the model with Intel Core i7 2600. It always scores bettern than the FX8150. At least 12gb DDR3 Memory. ATI 7550 ok, but I like the GTX 580, or GTX 570 cards. GTX 680 is great, but not really necssary for FSX.

There will of course be many many opinions. I keep reading that FSX is a processor hog more than anything else.

olderndirt
September 13th, 2012, 17:12
Sounds like an upgrade motherboard chip combination - i7 2600k or i5 2500k/3570k. Your other stuff sounds fine, maybe a PSU (600+w).

JIMJAM
September 13th, 2012, 17:33
I cannot argue with building your own or finding a local shop to custom build you one. Then at least you will get brand components and the best part is you have a actual physical location and human to talk to and take it for repairs.

That said..... I use to build my own at a freinds shop who sold custom systems. He closed shop and started doing military contracts. When my last rig's hardrive flew apart, in a fit of rage I went to Best Buy and bought a then top of the line I7 2.7 ghz Dell. I upgraded the ram,changed out the hardrive,sound card,vid card and then got rid of all the garbage preloaded on those things.
That was THREE years ago! I just lost a HD and had to reload my os but I am going to drag it out.
I was able to rob those upgrades from my older computer so I came out ok. Now had I needed to buy new those upgrades then I would have ended up paying more than had I just went to a shop and had one custom made.
But yeah, as a general rule avoid store bought computers. Check out Falcon North West computers. My bud bought one a few years ago and its sweet. I just might treat myself to one for Xmas.

Chris Sykes
September 14th, 2012, 00:01
I would say best read this; http://forum.avsim.net/topic/370594-read-before-posting-software-hardware-guide-for-fsx/

Firstly 660 isnt worth the extra money unless your doing BF3 or other games.
I have just last week upgraded from my old Quad Q9650 to the Quad 3820 i7 and have found a huge improvement in FSX, but i also play BF3 which also benifited.

If your going to self build always remember a few points, always purchase a branded high end PSU, dont cut costs here with a cheap non known brand!
Get the right case for now and the future, include cooling aspects and upgradability as you may rebuild or add to your build in future.
Take your time buying and building! never rush, it took me over 4 hours to remove my old board, and rebuild with the new one!

fxsttcb
September 14th, 2012, 10:08
Personally I'd keep Big Box pre-built computers at a distance...

Your GTX 470's performance is way ahead of the HD 7550, so, I'd give that a pass.
You obviously have a PSU that supports the GTX 470, already have 6GB of RAM, so, frankly it sounds like an upgrade is in order.

Which i3-? i3-5xx use a LGA 1156 socket, and i3-2xxx or i3-3xxx use LGA 1155, so, upgrade choice(s) would depend on that.
Best case is an LGA 1155 mobo with an unlocked(overclockable) BIOS.
With that type of motherboard, the i5-2500K/2550K, i7-2600K/2700K would be great and not require anything else ~$200-$340
A Z68/Z77 chipset LGA 1155 mobo will supply the needed support, if your i3 is in an LGA 1156 socket. ~$125-$150

The only other issue can be the OS. If you need to replace the mobo, and your existing Windows is an OEM version, it may possible to transfer it to an upgraded mobo. If MS won't activate the mobo swap you'll have to grab a new Windows 7(64bit) disk(set). $100oem $180retail

A Mobo, i5-2500K, and Windows will set you back ~$425-450 for a "good" budget upgrade solution.
More for better mobo and/or CPU and/or retail Windows...Don

StormILM
September 14th, 2012, 12:14
I too am on the verge of getting a new system. I know a few friends who've built good solid & reliable systems for a great price but I'm a long time Dell user who's had great luck with previous systems & components. My current 5100 tower now 7 years old has run FS9 and FSX and the latter remarkably well with upgrades and tweaking. But as reliable as it's been, it's getting tired and I'm ready to make the move. I just concluded a two day test with FSX using a Dell XPS tower with a i7-3770, 16gb dual channel DDR3 1600mhz, and an HD7770 w/2gb GDDR5. It ran FSX with many high end addons smooth and fast with no issues. I was impressed. There is an option for the NVIDIA GeForce GT640vw/1gb GDDR5 for less money but I'm unsure how it stacks up against the HD7770 or NVIDIA GTX series. I've been a long time Radeon user and am leaning towards keeping the HD7770 option.

Now price wise, with my premium account I can get the system with a new 24 inch Full HD monitor(as my old flat screen is getting tired as well) for $1300 and some change with addon software thrown in. I've priced some custom builds at or above this price range so I tend to feel okay with going with this. I would clarify, this system is multi-use and not FSX/Game specific machine but as tested it can ru n FSX perfectly. Of course I always optimize my systems and delete/strip out stuff I will never use.