PDA

View Full Version : How do you land

Pepere
January 1st, 2009, 07:32
Was wondering how different people land their aircraft. For a long time I would land from the outside view rear of the aircraft. Now I land in VC mode with tracker on. To line up I play it by the seat of my pants - no special spot in cockpit - because my tracker is on and I can look around. Also may center the top of the runway with the bottom. The top being smaller because it's further away.

David :kilroy:

Alexraptor
January 1st, 2009, 07:38
depends on the plane, some planes give me very poor visibility when landing and then i use spot view.

IanHenry
January 1st, 2009, 07:41
Badly!

krazycolin
January 1st, 2009, 07:48
well, i might land badly but i always get up and walk away... the first sign of a good landing!

Thoe6969
January 1st, 2009, 08:01
I allways land from the vc,anyway else would be totally unrealistic for me.You can allways raise your eyepoint for a little better visability over the panel.

glennc
January 1st, 2009, 08:02
Colin,

Roger - If you can walk away it's a good landing. If you can immediately re-use the airplane it's a great landing. :ernae:

Glenn

krazycolin
January 1st, 2009, 08:04
Colin,

Roger - If you can walk away it's a good landing. If you can immediately re-use the airplane it's a great landing. :ernae:

Glenn

define immediately!!!!!

Panther_99FS
January 1st, 2009, 08:06
I'll refrain from posting a detailed response of my techniques....:d

Buddha13
January 1st, 2009, 08:25
Awwww,
Come on Panther.We all know that if Crash and Burn was a world sport you would be champion....lol.

Buddha13

glennc
January 1st, 2009, 09:15
After lunch.

define immediately!!!!!

Boomer
January 1st, 2009, 09:28
I always land from the VC.

Track IR is wonderful for being able to sit up & look around the cowl/sides of the aircraft's nose.

Mr.Mugel
January 1st, 2009, 09:29
I do it from VC most times, sometimes I switch to spot as soon as I am over the runway, to watch touchdown, but not too often...

And I try to touch the ground with the wheels only, not flying upside down is extremly helpful for that aspect...

6297J
January 1st, 2009, 09:30
From the VC of course. Anything else would completely miss the point of using a Sim.

heywooood
January 1st, 2009, 09:39
vc - here I thought this discussion was more about technique than camera view...

I like a nice smooth descent whenever possible - a settle, rather than a dive whenever possible - however some approaches call for a steeper line maybe due to terrain, trees or buildings / neighborhoods under the pattern.

I like to look at the aircraft briefly from the external views while in flight because of REX and the lighting effects in FSX but never on departure or landing - as the man said - landing in external view defeats the purpose of the sim and would make those 3d modelers wonder why they spent so much effort making them as accurate, beautiful and functional as they have obviously strived to do.

Cazzie
January 1st, 2009, 09:42
In most cases the VC, but with airliners and bombers, anything with a long noses, I'll cheat and got to the 2-D with instruments.

I normally will not do a serious flight unless it is a plane with a VC I can live with, i.e. Carenado's Mentor, Piglet's Mite, etc.

Caz

fliger747
January 1st, 2009, 09:55
Colin:

Ya must be having a blast with the U-bird then! I always land from the VC. With some planes (such as the U-bird) I will shift the eye position, which is mapped to a hat on my X-52, to the left such as to sight along the side of the cowling. Think of your dog's view from the rear side window as you drive along......

I think that flying from the VC gives the best clues to attitude, if sometimes not the best view of the runway.

Cheers: T.

IanHenry
January 1st, 2009, 09:59
I always land from the VC. I say land but mine are more controlled crashes.

Ian

chinookmark
January 1st, 2009, 10:02
I always take off and land from the VC. If I really want to watch from the outside, I'll either watch a replay, or have a new window open in the corner with spot view. This is especially nice with AI carriers, because they don't show up in replay.

I've been landing using the ILS a lot recently. Not autopilot or flight director, just following the needles to keep me on course and at a nice decent. Otherwise, I usually come in too steep.

stansdds
January 1st, 2009, 10:10
I always land, as well as taxi, takeoff, and fly, from the virtual cockpit. I try to make it as real as possible and use exterior views for screen shots. I do admit to using the exterior view on the ground if I'm flying from an unfamiliar airport. Before flight I will look around and make note of the runways and taxiways, then kick the tires and light the fires.

gajit
January 1st, 2009, 10:13
Neither - i just shut my eyes :isadizzy:

Works for me in real world so why not in the sim

limjack
January 1st, 2009, 10:14
In the older sims I would use the outside view but now it is all VC. When landing the Big birds in VC, I can only hope that the runway will be there when the nose of the aircraft comes down..lol.

Jim

glennc
January 1st, 2009, 11:13
Being serious (sorta) this time. I agree with the others, I fly from the VC because I can't do it any other way with the real thing. I do pop out to sport view occasionally to enjoy the sunrise/sunset, scenery.

Glenn

Lionheart
January 1st, 2009, 11:49
I 'usually' land in VC view, as when I am doing a actual fun flight (no testing and tweaking involved).

But there are times when I have to see the bird from outside, just to the rear side, and see it touch the tarmac. I think its a cool shot to see the bird touching down. But its equally as good being in the VC too.

When doing landings in VC mode, I like a good, flared touch down where the bird momentarily hovers over the runway, then gently sinks down to touch the ground softly. But that can usually mean the nose is pretty high up in angle, so I raise my seat (view) about 3 or 4 notches so the view is higher and I can see over the panel. (Thats if I am not running Track IR.. With TrackIR, I just raise up out of my seat a bit and it adjusts in the monitor view).

When testing, its usually outside view though.. Thats testing though, not really like flying..

Bill

stansdds
January 1st, 2009, 11:54
Neither - i just shut my eyes :isadizzy:

Works for me in real world so why not in the sim

Mental note: never go flying with Gajit. :costumes:

guzler
January 1st, 2009, 12:01
I tend to use 2d without instruments - just the text at the top to monitor my speed. On approach, drop flaps, airbrakes, gear and anything else that will slow me down as late as possible. Come to think of it, I would never of made a good airline pilot :costumes:

If I get Track IR, I will probably use the VC more.

Bjoern
January 1st, 2009, 12:51
All VC, with ILS, but no autoland.

sblzei
January 1st, 2009, 13:05
From your replies I understand that I am probably the only one left that lands in the 2D (!!!), with some occasional help of ILS (where available) or the minipanel.
To me this is the most realistic mode. :wavey:

EgoR64
January 1st, 2009, 13:14
:wavey:

I personally prefer Spot View, usually from a 90 degree angle left or right, no matter. My landing joy is a spot view touch downs. If I want to interact with the tower, VC with lots O' beer. :mixedsmi:

Anything on a carrier is from spot view, otherwise I be swimmin.

Cheers !! :friday:

CG_1976
January 1st, 2009, 13:17
I usually land using the ILS, no autoland and from the VC. I normally start start landing sequence procedures about 100NM outside my target landing area and also set up a backup landing plan at a nearby Regional Airport.

FLighT01
January 1st, 2009, 13:19
VC always and I usually adjust my eyepoint up a bit to get a better view of the near end of the runway. It's the only way I can hit the centerline gently enough. Well, it's my best chance of hitting the centerline, LOL. I use spot view after I'm at altitude, trimmed in, and crusin'.

stiz
January 1st, 2009, 13:27
i tend to do the carrier landing technique, flying parralel to the runway at around 300 - 500ft then turn and land on the wheels then once me speeds down lower the tail ... unless its a tricicle gear then i lower the nose, use the same technique of pretty much any plane, also non of that fancy ils stuff, i just put em down any old place :costumes:

war.ace
January 1st, 2009, 13:31
I usually land in vc, some times from tower view

kjb
January 1st, 2009, 13:40
From your replies I understand that I am probably the only one left that lands in the 2D (!!!), with some occasional help of ILS (where available) or the minipanel.
To me this is the most realistic mode. :wavey:Actually I use 2D too. I have a TRC472 and a projector so I have the cockpit off and the eyepoint adjusted to where the horizon is right in level flight.

cheezyflier
January 1st, 2009, 14:27
just to cement my reputation as a complete philistine of flight sim, i will tell the truth.

i always fly from F-11 view and switch back and forth from the 2-D.
the only exception is the aa-5B, i fly from the vc

Odie
January 1st, 2009, 14:57
I'll use SPOT view to line up on final, but then it's a VC landing at that point. My most problem area is over-correcting on approach and swinging wide with little time to correct when starting into the descent.

Getting better tho, they don't completely clear the taxi-ways when I'm coming in.....:costumes:

Marlin
January 1st, 2009, 15:28
I always use the VC.

I like to check the weather then if there is any cross wind I’ll go for the cross wind landings if the gusts are not over 20-30.

A good quick way to land when the clock on the wall says it past bedtime, is to come in at full speed, no flaps, no gear down until directly over the airport and hit the Y button then the Z button. Land, save then go to bed. However this is a very rare occasion.

Panther, I have to tell that I really do miss all the screenshots of the cool ways that you land. There seem to be a lot of new people here that don’t know what the term Panthered is. I sure would love to see you continue with your tradition of educating on all the different ways to, ‘Panther’. J

I did a reverse landing the other day with the C-130. Engine #1 & #2 went out while on approach. OHHH crap, more rudder, keep it flat. Ohhhh Shhhhhhh we aren’t going to make it, give it more throttle and the plane did a nice 180 and we made it to the airport and landed tail first. I don’t think there would have been any survivors if you know what I mean. That was first for me LOL<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Nick C
January 1st, 2009, 15:33
In the old days I used to land with just the 2D gauges in view, then I too bought TrackIR and VC landings became the norm.

EasyEd
January 1st, 2009, 16:07
Hey All,

I'm basically a VC guy as well. I find it just works the best anymore. I don't usually hit the centerline but am most of the time (75%+) on the runway. One thing to remember - you don't have to have the wheels touch just past the beginning of the runway - it's ok to fly halfway down a lot of runways before you land. That gives you time that you may not realize you have to get straightened out. However this does not work with big planes on short runways! :costumes: I know! In that case you have to just nail it.

It's also real important to know your altitude above ground and the IAS (relative to stall speed or a comfortable landing speed above stall) of your plane. You need to get used to just seeing those numbers quickly. A VC view often gives them to you although a 2D view does it better in many aircraft. With respect to the plane know if your flying a "sinker" or a "floater" relative to your tastes. To me for example the P47 is a "sinker" it falls even though still flying under control while most light GA are "floaters" and want to float down the runway. Fly enough planes and you'll see what I mean - you'll develop your own feel for this. "Sinkers" need more speed or a different technique (steeper before the flare) - "floaters" don't. I prefer "floaters" long as they don't seem to refuse to land - others prefer "sinkers".

The last comment I would make is - pay attention to the wind! Land into it whenever you can. If it's cross just practice. In real life I once was with a pilot who landed on the taxiway instead of the runway since the cross wind was so high. We stopped about 20 ft from the windows of the main terminal building. Small airport though nobody around.

Just my opinion. -Ed-

An-225
January 1st, 2009, 16:25
From the VC, usually, and like Mr. Mugel I occasionally switch to spot view to watch it land if I am familiar with the plane being flown.

MM
January 1st, 2009, 16:48
Typically Panther from the VC. But sometimes switch quickly to the spot view to admire the spectacle of sparks, smoke, and flames.

war.ace
January 1st, 2009, 17:09
Getting better tho, they don't completely clear the taxi-ways when I'm coming in.....:costumes:

me too! I was about to land a f-16 but a 747 was taxiing across the runway so ran into it :(

Akatsuki
January 1st, 2009, 17:31
As i use TrackIR i always take off and land from the Virtual cockpit, the only exception is the Hughes H1 Racer with which i take off from spot view or i look to the left the edge of the runway and compensate with the rudder the torque drift as the grass gets closer/farther. :mixedsmi:

txnetcop
January 2nd, 2009, 02:23
Had no trouble landing any of the aircraft from the VC.
Ted

HighGround22
January 2nd, 2009, 12:31
In any reply to subjects such as this, I always agonize over whether I'm likely to confuse people rather than perhaps donate a glimmer of a helpful idea. I'll desperately hope for the latter.

For each aircraft I fly, I put together what I call a "Flight Data Card" or FDC. Once I've pretty-well decided that an aircraft's going to be in my permanent "Stable", I get all the facts and figures together and produce the FDC in MS Word. As time goes by, these data can change, of course, as I learn more about that particular plane.

The identifying title's at the top -- comes in handy when you amass twenty or thirty of these sheets.

First section covers take-off, listing V1, VR speeds, flap setting, and trim setting.

Next section prominently displays the standard cruise speed for this particular plane..

The last -- and biggest -- section deals with landing. Most of the planes I fly are in the GA, Bush, or just plain Low-and-Slow category. So I begin slowing-down at 12nm from destination, 1600ft. (Some planes, like the Beaver, start at 8nm from dest.)
Next decrement (flaps, speed), is at 8nm.
Further decrement at 6nm, with gear.
Further decrement at around 4.5nm, as I "tip-over" and descend.
"Fence" speed.
Landing speed.

Don't get the idea that I sit there reading this stuff off, as I land. These data are merely an "aide memoire" to help me get into the groove, when I fly an aircraft I haven't flown for a few weeks/months.

So when I'm in a "strange" aircraft again, I give the FDC for that plane a quick eye-over prior to first flight, and before landing. Then I can get an idea of what features and pointers I should keep in mind, during the landing phase.

I realize that this is definitely one of those "works for me" things, but y'never know. Maybe there's another OCD type out there who may think the concept has merit. :mixedsmi:

Example attached.

-Jon
-------

gera
January 2nd, 2009, 13:09
I only use VC.....if you want to and always be "right on"!!! here is the real flying trick....

As you approach the field, line up with it and....place the top of the "panel" at a spot on the runway.....now keep it there as you descend, use power to maintain it right on the spot.....if you do this you will always land exactly there.......this is done with any plane....try it, you´ll never have a bad landing again........:kilroy::kilroy:

TeaSea
January 2nd, 2009, 13:11
I keep my feet and knee's together, with my eyes on the horizon and try to always do a right or right rear PLF.....

Oh wait, wrong landing....sorry....

smoores
January 2nd, 2009, 13:46
I fly it down to ground effect on VC. I have full view until 5 or so feet. Slow her up and gently let her down. That works for most aircraft.

CBris
January 2nd, 2009, 23:10
What's 2D? :costumes:

TrackIR and VC all the way. If I want to see what my paints look like, or what the weather is doing, then I pause and go "Walk and Follow".

In the Eagle (Christen that is), my circuits and landings are usually:

Downwind - along the centre line with smoke, cross the threshold, count four, pull up vertical into:

Base leg - vertical, kill throttle, pull over the top into:

Short finals - pretty normal actually (don't forget to kill the smoke over the threshold)... my speed is already slow enough, so everything lines up poifeckly.

I did do this real world in a K13 with my CFI in the back (he was teaching me aerobatics at the time). Just make sure you are carrying enough speed energy for the loop out, or things get very embarassing in a glider. :costumes:

I know... aerobatics in a glider is a waste of altitude and flying time, but I used to do it and I enjoyed it. And now you know where my flight mentality comes from...

Mâra Trilokadev
January 2nd, 2009, 23:59
Always in the virtual cockpit, and should I be in my Scimitar, always with subsequent broken gear and the phrase 'away rescue and fire control teams' occupying my imagination...

Happy Flying (and Landings!).
MT

JoeW
January 3rd, 2009, 01:52
I try to land very carefully without bouncing over 6 times and dumping the flaps.

jmig
January 3rd, 2009, 06:41
I keep my feet and knee's together, with my eyes on the horizon and try to always do a right or right rear PLF.....

Oh wait, wrong landing....sorry....

:costumes:

I have a perfect technique I will share with you "poorer landers" The method of landing never fails.

You line up to the best of your ability with the runway, road, lake etc. Slow down a bit but not so sow you are uncomfortable. Then right as you are about the hit the ground, quickly hit ESC. It woks every time. You never crash or bend anything. Oh, in case MSFS fails to record the landing, just go in and edit the log book. http://sc.webmessenger.msn.com/10.1.0323.0/session/images/emoticons/smile_teeth.gif

Actually, I land from the VC.