PDA

View Full Version : FTP Cloud, advice

Lionheart
September 12th, 2012, 11:12
Hey all,

Does anyone know of a very dependable, yet inexpensive cloud service that I could upload files to and link them? My files range about 200 to 250 megs each, perhaps a dozen, plus private files for testing.

Can anyone recommend a cool service? I was looking at ZipCloud.com, waiting to hear back on details for linking.

Bill

Tom Clayton
September 12th, 2012, 13:09
I don't know about providing public links, but Drop Box and Google Cloud both offer (I think) 5GB free storage, with paid upgrades from there. You also have the option to download and install a sync program that lets you drag files to a specific folder on your machine, then the program automatically uploads to the server. You can provide your info to others that can then link to your space on the server and if they have the app installed, they'll automatically be sent a copy of the file too. They're great for families that want to share pics, or for collaboration among a set group.

For public links, I'm guessing services like YouSendIt would be a better option.

Meshman
September 12th, 2012, 13:49
What about your hosting site? Mine allows me to setup FTP access with different levels of security, so I could put files out into the open or require specific user names and passwords to get access.

Ickie
September 12th, 2012, 14:29
lionheart I will host you i sent you a pm with the login info

Lionheart
September 13th, 2012, 08:16
Many thanks guys.

MeshMan, my biz account is through Yahoo Small Business and they put down FTP use. Just website data.

Bill

Dangerousdave26
September 13th, 2012, 14:48
Bill

We are using our TeamSpeak server at the www.sim-outhouse.net and its file browser for exactly what you are describing.

We have a room named the Developers Corner inside that room are individual developmener project rooms. Each one is password protected with their respective project manager in charge of the room.

If you want one set up or you want a better understanding of how you could use it Stop in some time.

Note as a SOH member you are already paying for this service.

The really nice thing about using the TS server is it is also a meeting place where your team can discuss things in real time rather than by PM or email.

Lionheart
September 13th, 2012, 19:52
Thanks Dave for the heads up! I never knew this.

:salute:

Bill