PDA

View Full Version : USS Oriskany SCB-27C/125A

Pages : [1] 2

expat
September 11th, 2012, 01:39
THIS MUST be finished!!

http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?id=30344 (http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?id=30344)

fallenphoenix1986
September 11th, 2012, 02:04
Hopefully, been trying to find out what became of this one for a while... no luck so far though.

Craig

hae5904
September 11th, 2012, 04:03
Hopefully yes ! But the last post on the forum dates back from 21-04-2011...........

Hank

jagl04
September 11th, 2012, 11:32
It is my feeling that they finished it and it is available at 3D warehouse, including a shipwreck version.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=9112a1be5060119cff8532bf24cd5116&prevstart=0

CG_1976
September 11th, 2012, 12:00
Can the ship be converted to a scenery object for FSX with hard deck? Being curious as i saw a sneaky futuristic ship my hidden RCN port near Sach's.

FSX68
September 11th, 2012, 13:38
It is my feeling that they finished it and it is available at 3D warehouse, including a shipwreck version.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=9112a1be5060119cff8532bf24cd5116&prevstart=0

It looks to me to be only drawings and not something to use in FSX. Hummm.....

FSX68
September 11th, 2012, 13:41
THIS MUST be finished!!

http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?id=30344 (http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?id=30344)

At first I was taking your "THIS MUST" as insisting that it better be finished, On the other hand I took it to mean
that maybe it's done. Looks like it isn't ready....yet. I'd sure like a 27c carrier to bounce off in FSX.

:jump:

expat
September 11th, 2012, 14:02
Well, I meant I would love it to be finished or built by someone. A 27C Essex class is the essential missing carrier for Nam ops with the A-1D,S-3, A-3, A-4 and F-8, etc.

Ian Warren
September 11th, 2012, 14:33
Not bad for an old Wubbula Wubbula Two carrier , on its scuttling it even scored a slot on the TV news and footage here in New Zealand , I too would love to see this one completed , a real traditional class carrier and boy with smaller deck it would put heckles up your spine landing on this one in FSX :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

FSX68
September 11th, 2012, 15:28
Well, I meant I would love it to be finished or built by someone. A 27C Essex class is the essential missing carrier for Nam ops with the A-1D,S-3, A-3, A-4 and F-8, etc.

Amen to that !!

Sieggie
September 11th, 2012, 15:30
It appears to be a full 3d model done in Sketchup. when the DAE file is imported into MDX it will convert to a mdl file and is visible in FSX if placed or configured for AICarriers. Problem is it is 1. not a hard deck. 2. Has crash boxes turned on and 3. is facing the wrong way and will drive sideways when you start it moving. It looks great as Static Scenery. The site has the Sketchup files so someone who knows what they are doing with modeling could most likely turn it into something that could be used to land on, but that is not me :0 I would guess the other ships on the site will be the same.

Dave

sparouty
September 11th, 2012, 22:04
It appears to be a full 3d model done in Sketchup. when the DAE file is imported into MDX it will convert to a mdl file and is visible in FSX if placed or configured for AICarriers. Problem is it is 1. not a hard deck. 2. Has crash boxes turned on and 3. is facing the wrong way and will drive sideways when you start it moving. It looks great as Static Scenery. The site has the Sketchup files so someone who knows what they are doing with modeling could most likely turn it into something that could be used to land on, but that is not me :0 I would guess the other ships on the site will be the same.

Dave
I agree with you Dave. But I'd add 1 extra point which is to my point of view the most important one : materials.
By importing a Sketchup model, you will re-use materials (and textures) which are not thought for FSX, or this is the key point for FSX performances. Take 2 models using the same 3D mesh but with different way of mapping, of gathering textures, etc.... you will have performances that could be extremely different!
regards
Sylvain

Dimus
September 11th, 2012, 22:51
I have worked a lot with sketchup lately. I downloaded the model and had a look. It basically uses plain flat colours for materials. It would be quite easy to convert it to a scenery bgl using Arno's MCX. If one wished to go further, the flat colours could be replaced by textures and material properties applied to control shine, transparency and reflectivity. It would still be a static scenery object though, not even sure if one could land on it, and certainly no chance of adding carrier functions.

If that would interest anyone I could work on it.

oldpropfan
September 12th, 2012, 00:39
Converted the Sketchup models to scenery models and placed them off Catalina Island, they don't look too bad at all. Unfortunately they're only eyecandy for now. MDCX will export as a 3dsmax file also, seems to me these would be a good base for someone to start with if they can get the original modeler's permission to use them. I still can't make a complete box in GMax but I would think using these models would be much easier than starting from scratch, maybe not.

Many interesting military type vehicles in the Sketchup libraries, some good stuff there for scenery objects.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/oldpropfan/carriers/2012-9-12_1-7-8-186.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/oldpropfan/carriers/2012-9-12_0-59-40-777.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/oldpropfan/carriers/2012-9-12_0-59-29-108.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/oldpropfan/carriers/2012-9-12_0-55-21-619.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/oldpropfan/carriers/2012-9-12_0-53-49-644.jpg

The on the elevator and at the ramp pics are posed, if you try to land on these you crash.

expat
September 12th, 2012, 00:51
It would still be a static scenery object though, not even sure if one could land on it, and certainly no chance of adding carrier functions.

If that would interest anyone I could work on it.

Absolutely. I have all the moving one's e.g. Javier's Nimitz, the Clem/Foch and SDB Big E - great stuff - but still have all my old Alphasim Enterprise scenery ported into all the fixed spots around the world. Why? Because i) you can start asap from them with a saved flight without all the hoops using a moving CV, ii) as it is an "airport" in FS (whereas a moving CV is "AI") you can have AI fly to and from the carrier and iii) for testing etc it is convenient that the fixed ones show up on the map and GPS so you don't spend time searching for it (when there is more time, it is fun to search for the moving ones with Sylvain's TACAN gauge). I use the RBCBO 3.0 gauges for the fixed scenery carriers which for any new aircraft takes a second to copy and paste into the panel.cfg and away you go.

There needs to be of course a hard deck and also there is the "ocean flatten" issue. But those have been overcome in the past . .

jeansy
September 12th, 2012, 00:58
Yes please

We need a cv for that era

Ian Warren
September 12th, 2012, 01:34
Id be more than happy and put my hand up to put my time effort and skills to glue and complete this model , come it research, model build or textures, no point wasting this current piece of work .
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Sieggie
September 12th, 2012, 05:21
Using MCX, I converted and rotated the carrier so it could be placed in aicarriers. I seems to have the wake attached at the center of the ship so it is not visible when moving. I know the wake is attached because before rotating the ship, the wake came out of the middle of the ship as it moved sideways. It definitely does not have a hard deck, so that will need to be implemented.

Dave

fliger747
September 12th, 2012, 10:13
Do I have some memory that this was a Michael Davies project, in addition to the other Essex class he was wworking on a number of years ago? There was a static angle deck Essex for FS9, Willie would remember which one it was.

T

Dimus
September 12th, 2012, 11:39
It seems that people have already tried the simple step of converting it to static bgl. My current skills would just advance this to some better texturing and material handling. I have never created a hard deck or anything else, I would have to learn that.

If there is will to go further by many people our efforts should be coordinated so that they are not duplicated.

Ian Warren
September 12th, 2012, 12:24
Do I have some memory that this was a Michael Davies project, in addition to the other Essex class he was working on a number of years ago? There was a static angle deck Essex for FS9, Willie would remember which one it was.

T

I do have Michael's Essex put away in payware carrier aircraft folders just simply not to loose it because it is so well done , it works using AIcarriers , out right was just superb .

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

gp183601
September 12th, 2012, 13:10
I use sketchup to create my Royal Navy carriers...animation is a problem but all are moving and have decks you can land on (I can't release the Invincible class for general use yet I have used a texture created by another developer and am waiting on permission to include it in my models)

There's been a few people volunteering to update the Oriskany for FSX, but if nothing comes to fruition I could update, add a hard deck and get it moving. Or I could look at another Essex class...won't be as good as a GMax/Studio Max version with all the whistles and bells but would do in the absence of anything else.

delta_lima
September 12th, 2012, 14:04
Do I have some memory that this was a Michael Davies project, in addition to the other Essex class he was wworking on a number of years ago? There was a static angle deck Essex for FS9, Willie would remember which one it was.

T

Hi Tom,

I think you're referring to these FSX models, released as beta? http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links_search.php

Though not quite finished, they certainly fulfill my WWII / Korean War era needs very nicely.

Regarding this 27C class boat - I would be ECSTATIC! OK, the Flying Stations/SDB/Fernandez/RFN boats are truly in a very special class of their own insofar as quality is concerned .... but still, from the WIP shots, esp GP's Ark boats, there seems to be a quality level currently available that would certainly make this worthwhile to us naval junkies. I'm all for it!

Cheers,

DL

jagl04
September 13th, 2012, 07:47
I use sketchup to create my Royal Navy carriers...animation is a problem but all are moving and have decks you can land on (I can't release the Invincible class for general use yet I have used a texture created by another developer and am waiting on permission to include it in my models)

There's been a few people volunteering to update the Oriskany for FSX, but if nothing comes to fruition I could update, add a hard deck and get it moving. Or I could look at another Essex class...won't be as good as a GMax/Studio Max version with all the whistles and bells but would do in the absence of anything else.

Really beautiful shots. Please, get the permission soon: yours is a great job and she is a pretty ship.

sepp666
September 13th, 2012, 09:12
I hope that the Russian Carrier Kiev could get finished too? Look: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?33114-Kiev-MiG-25-Kikka

Regards

noddy
September 13th, 2012, 10:39

Yes please.

fliger747
September 13th, 2012, 11:42
Of course only Michael could answer the question, but I do have some vague memory that he was working on Qriskany and the like, which was never to the point that the Leyte etc got. I do use those for testing and development of WWII and Korean era naval aircraft, even did some of the original arrested landings of the STOOF series on Leyte.

T

Delta_Whiskey
September 14th, 2012, 22:41
sketchup conversion is easy for the model.a variety of methods exist. once exported to 3ds they can be imported into gmax or 3dsmax easy .
stripping colored materials and replacing with maps and uv mapping them is the time consuming part, having to create maps from scratch using the uv layouts.
. animations would require isolating the polys and elements and then animating
- a hard deck and hangar deck takes only a few minutes- make a rectangle and attach a platform attribute and dont forget nocrash as well for the rest of the model
- export as a mdl and it can be pilotable or ai using some basic files - librarycreator can turn it into a bgl for those wishing scenery

then theres the greebling and detailing that can fussed over until you have burned out on the whole project, but thats another story...

gp183601
September 16th, 2012, 04:09
I hope that the Russian Carrier Kiev could get finished too? Look: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?33114-Kiev-MiG-25-Kikka

Regards

I've got a Kiev class sitting on my hard drive - completed and textured. However it's not optimised for FSX so its a massive frame rate hog. I need to look at cutting down the details to make it a little more "user friendly" - though other than heli ops (or unless there is a Yak-38 model out there) not sure how interested peops would be in it.

It's also waaaaaay down the list of my priorities as I need to finish the Invincible class (redo the textures if permission does not come through, update and test Invincible 1982 variant with Sea Dart launcher)...I got distracted with the UKMIL GR9 and Just flight FRS Mk1

:)

I also need to finish my QE class, get started again on CVA-01 (a little project for myself), go to work, have time with the kids, get time to actually fly something instead of building things yadda yadda...i'm sure you all have the same.

No one seems to have picked up doing something with the Mighty 'O' so i'll start on it tonight. It'll be an 'austere' mod as i'm more into Royal Navy ships than US...unless it takes an F-4 then I can be persuaded.

I'll do a basic texture update, harden the deck, stick some static A-4s on it and get it moving in the water...maybe add attachpoints for arrestor gear, catapult ....then i'll zip it up for people to test (I don't use ai carriers so someone else can check that).

It won't be great, or accurate but it'll be quick to do and give folks something to use. Most of the stuff I produce is for my own benefit where there's a missing model or scenery object i'd like in my FSX world - hence its normally not to the same standard as other model developers as it's only for my needs, and i'm usually not interested in giving something away i've spent long hours on only to have "rivet counters" who feel the need to criticize freeware models bemoan what's not right about it. My belief is if you don't like something that someone else has sweated hours developing and given away for free - do it yourself and stop moaning....that's why I create my own stuff

G

fallenphoenix1986
September 16th, 2012, 13:54
Sounds good. Hope you'll consider releasing the CVA-01 at some stage, had been planing on tackling it myself after I'm done with the Collosus/Majestic class.

Craig

sepp666
September 17th, 2012, 03:59
I've got a Kiev class sitting on my hard drive - completed and textured. However it's not optimised for FSX so its a massive frame rate hog. I need to look at cutting down the details to make it a little more "user friendly" - though other than heli ops (or unless there is a Yak-38 model out there) not sure how interested peops would be in it.
G

These are nice news for me, i like to have that Kiev! Because of the interresting Story that the Kiev got - today it's a hotel at China --> Look at the pictures on this site:http://www.ftd.de/luxus/reise/:flugzeugtraeger-kiew-luxushotel-fuer-militaerfreaks/60092262.html?imgId=60092265 ...

It´s on german but maybe google gives a good translation - http://www.realfictionfilme.de/filme/auf-allen-meeren/index.php
This is a very nice TV-Doku about the end of the soviet area and the end of a ship and what happend to the people which were on this ship.

Could you please show some screenshots of it.

Regards Sepp

navychief8
September 22nd, 2012, 12:08
Any updates on getting this old girl in the sim?:salute:

gp183601
September 23rd, 2012, 08:31
Slowly getting there. Flight deck has been re textured, working on some textures for the island. Travelling again with work next week so probably a few days before I get to work on the model again. I'll try and post some pictures at the end of the week.

As for the Kiev i'll post some screenshots of that too later this week.

G

gp183601
October 8th, 2012, 13:31
Just an FYI it's not dead...just slow going. Been working on trying to create a new set of flight deck textures for HMS Invincible so Mighty 'O' has been on the back burner. Re-texturing at the moment, added a platform through MCX and have tested the model in FSX. Still have some rogue materials on the flight deck causing crashes on deck so removing them to have a smooth platform to land on....also some issues around the position of the attachpoints for arrestor gear and catapults but i'll sort that once i've finished updating the model.

Looking for comments on the colour as i'm only going with images i've found on google...too blue?

Sooo glad Mark Harper has released Kiev and I don't have to continue with that model....it's was becoming an exercise in frustration!!

Ian Warren
October 8th, 2012, 16:15
Looking very nice indeed :cool: , as for the colour it might be a little to blue by compare to the photos i have here , i would have thought it would be very much the same measure grey used on the all US Naval ships , many photo's show different tones of grey - that would due to the print and the light and the time of day .

TARPSBird
October 8th, 2012, 22:52
For standard USN "Haze Gray" a shade using the RGB values of 120, 127 and 135 looks just about right, on my monitor at least. In real life the paint weathers out to a lighter shade. Here's a little color chip I worked up just to put my two cents in.

expat
October 9th, 2012, 01:14
The Oriskany is looking VERY good indeed!

gp183601
October 9th, 2012, 05:03
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll update the textures and post some new pictures. Anyone got some decent pictures of the flight deck? I.e the Alaskan highways on the port side?

Ian Warren
October 9th, 2012, 13:04
I do have photos of every Essex class from the book Aircraft Carriers of the US Navy but detail would difficult to interpret , i wonder about the Intrepid in NY , maybe could information from the museum ?
I have many other books but from memory very few close ups . <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

fliger747
October 10th, 2012, 08:32
Intrepid is quite weathered now. The haze grey is probably a bit less blue, and in outdoor light, at sea, somewhat less dark. I do remember being aboard Oriskany sometime in the mid 60's for a very brief underway period.

Keep up the great work! T

gp183601
October 13th, 2012, 10:24
I'm off on my hols for the next week so to stop this thread dying out I thought i'd let you see my progress so far - here's some shots of USS Oriskany in FSX

Model is still static at the moment while I test in FSX to resolve some minor texture issues, and I've taken the advice of people on this thread and changed the colour to try and match US Navy Haze Grey.

Deck is landable, though it's been a few months since i've done any DLP so back to the dummy deck at Yeovilton for some practice I think!!

Once i've got back from hols, worked out the texture issues and attempted to add catapult and arrestor attachpoints v 0.1 of this model should be ready for people to test before the end of the month. I'd like to do more but I really need to get back to working on the Invincible class as someone has very kindly created a new texture set for this. :salute:

Again the Oriskany will be very basic - nowhere near the other guys who create fully animated ships...but it should fill a gap.
I may come back again and do a V0.2 update adding more aircraft and deck crew at a later date.

Cheers
G

airattackimages
October 13th, 2012, 15:41
Awesome! Can't wait! Next I need a decent F-4 :)

TARPSBird
October 13th, 2012, 19:27
Awesome! Can't wait! Next I need a decent F-4 :)
And wouldn't it be nice if we eventually had a FSX USS Coral Sea or Midway for you to fly that F-4 off of.

airattackimages
October 15th, 2012, 14:39
Ahh, never realized the F-4 didn't fly off the Oriskany. But yes, I'd love to see a Midway.

peter12213
October 15th, 2012, 15:04
Can't wait to fly the virtavia skyhawk model from her! That invincible class carrier looks stunning too, perfect for the Razbam Gr7/9 coming out soon we hope!

FSX68
October 15th, 2012, 15:19
Ahh, never realized the F-4 didn't fly off the Oriskany. But yes, I'd love to see a Midway.

That's because the catapults did not have enough ummph to launch the F-4's. I was on the USS Hancock and Bonnie Dick.

But what is odd is that the Hancock would launch the A3 Sky warriors (Whales). GO figure. Maybe the F4 was heavier then the Whale.

Ian Warren
October 15th, 2012, 16:07
That's because the catapults did not have enough ummph to launch the F-4's. I was on the USS Hancock and Bonnie Dick.

But what is odd is that the Hancock would launch the A3 Sky warriors (Whales). GO figure. Maybe the F4 was heavier then the Whale.

A quick scwizz showed the A3 at 39,40lb empty and full load at 82,000lb , were as the Phantom is at 28,000lb empty at 60,000lb full load , it would be the wing loading compared to the lack on the F4 .... and heck they had one hell of a fighter with the Crusader :cool:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2010%20Flightsim/CV34Custom.jpg
I have a photo showing the USS Midway with NINE! :eek: A3 s parked on the deck .. I can't see the carrier for Skywarriors :icon_lol: .... somewhere here i have a photo with five on an Essex .

Another great photo showing CVN-65 berthed and beside CV 34 beside the Hancock CV19 obviously 1976/77 when she was stricken and berthed beside her the Coral Sea CV43 . :cool:

Ian Warren
October 15th, 2012, 16:18
I'm off on my hols for the next week so to stop this thread dying out I thought i'd let you see my progress so far - here's some shots of USS Oriskany in FSX

G

A thought .. How about a Bruce Fitzgerald type setup just for the multiplayer , one has to control the ship .. , just think we'd have that deck a hustling :cool:

Looking Great G

TARPSBird
October 15th, 2012, 16:18
I have a photo showing the USS Midway with NINE! :eek: A3 s parked on the deck of the USS Midway .. I can't see the carrier for Skywarriors :icon_lol:
Ian, post that pic here if you have it as a jpg or bmp file, I'd like to see it. Has to be a CQ evolution or maybe a VAH/VAQ squadron cross-decking from another ship. Some of my F-8 shipmates would like to see it, we all like old jets. :icon_lol:

Ian Warren
October 15th, 2012, 16:38
Here we go Tarps , scow'd the land for this book back in 1987 , no internet back then , working on a 1/144 scale RC model - least put on hold , like the Essex class the Midways are the real traditional carrier .... i dig up that photo of four together as well for interests sake . :cool:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2010%20Flightsim/CV-41Custom.jpg
This photo was taken in 1961 and they all appear to carry the NE tail code

Ian Warren
October 15th, 2012, 17:59
A good compare between the three class's , the Big 'O' must have been well looked after to survived as long , but i'm sure the Lexington was serving as a training carrier being the last to use its deck ? CV-34 being reserved till 1988 and only to be scuttled recent .. least last eight years back.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2010%20Flightsim/CVN-65to43Custom.jpg

TARPSBird
October 15th, 2012, 18:35
Ian, thanks for posting the Midway pic. :salute: It's always nice to end the day a little smarter than you were in the AM. :icon_lol: Found a website with a listing for vintage air wing compositions and turns out a Heavy Attack (VAH) squadron actually had 10-12 aircraft assigned, so we see nine A-3's on the Midway's flight deck all belonging to VAH-8. I was not in the Navy back then but I can almost guarantee you that half or more of those Whales stayed ashore at NAS Atsugi or Cubi Point during routine peacetime ops. You see how much deck space they take up, it's even worse when you have 'em in the hangar bays.

Ian Warren
October 15th, 2012, 19:17
Ian, thanks for posting the Midway pic. :salute: It's always nice to end the day a little smarter than you were in the AM. :icon_lol: the hangar
TARPS a pleasure , we were not allowed US Navy vessels up to recent in the NZ and even now only USCG .. the book i got posted the USS Midway in Sydney Harbour OZ two weeks after i left .... DOH! :pop4: .. maybe when i get back into the model rebuilding i'll rip across to San Diego and check her out . :cool:

TARPSBird
October 16th, 2012, 00:26
All the 27-Charlie (Essex class) CVA's saw a lot of underway time during Vietnam, also Coral Sea and Midway although Midway spent 1966-70 undergoing extensive overhaul. For example, I deployed with Air Wing 15 aboard Coral Sea from September '68 to April '69 and by mid-summer '69 we were already preparing for the next deployment which ran from September '69 to June '70. Quick turn-arounds like that were pretty common for all the carriers back then. The older decks like Hancock, Oriskany, Bon Homme Richard, etc. were hard-core players and often out-performed the newer big decks for combat stats like total sorties generated, ordnance expended and such. By the 1970's they were feeling their age. I was aboard Hancock for work-ups in 1970 and the ladders (stairs) between decks were worn smooth from constant use. No safety tread, you had to be careful. Hancock and Oriskany lasted in service as long as they did because they were good ships, and also we needed them around a while longer until the new Nimitz class decks started coming on line.

Ian Warren
October 16th, 2012, 01:18
TARPS , I have a gorgeous colour photo of the Coral Sea anchored of Cannes in 1983 , require a little edit , but ideal for this thread .... Just a pity is was not 'G's Essex :cool:

gp183601
October 16th, 2012, 03:29
And wouldn't it be nice if we eventually had a FSX USS Coral Sea or Midway for you to fly that F-4 off of.

Is that a hint? :)

michael davies
October 16th, 2012, 10:33

Its the rate of descent old chap, the smaller wing of the F-4 means that the deck impact is much higher than that of the A-3, even then the angled deck landing area was clad in steel, as was much of the deck to be honest, in varying thicknesses dependent on use.

Not my SCB-125 I'm afraid, haven't touched that for years.

Kindest

Michael

FSX68
October 16th, 2012, 13:01
Ian, thanks for posting the Midway pic. :salute: It's always nice to end the day a little smarter than you were in the AM. :icon_lol: Found a website with a listing for vintage air wing compositions and turns out a Heavy Attack (VAH) squadron actually had 10-12 aircraft assigned, so we see nine A-3's on the Midway's flight deck all belonging to VAH-8. I was not in the Navy back then but I can almost guarantee you that half or more of those Whales stayed ashore at NAS Atsugi or Cubi Point during routine peacetime ops. You see how much deck space they take up, it's even worse when you have 'em in the hangar bays.

I remember when I was on the USS Ranger, As an A3 was launching, the nose bridal cable snapped the nose landing gear ergo no nose landing gear and she went into Davy Jones locker.
Lost all souls on board. One of the crew lost was his first launch/ride. This was off the coast of Viet-Nam about the time the Paris peace talks were were arguing on the size of the
peace table (Circa 73).

Ian Warren
October 16th, 2012, 13:31
CV43 USS Coral Sea , they are all impressive looking ships :cool: and Dangerous !
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2010%20Flightsim/USSCoralSeaCustom_zps69427929.jpg
Quote from richoday - I remember when I was on the USS Ranger, As an A3 was launching, the nose bridal cable snapped the nose landing gear ergo no nose landing gear and she went into Davy Jones locker. ..... Lost all souls on board. One of the crew lost was his first launch/ride.
:medals:

Willy
October 16th, 2012, 15:25
A good compare between the three class's , the Big 'O' must have been well looked after to survived as long , but i'm sure the Lexington was serving as a training carrier being the last to use its deck ? CV-34 being reserved till 1988 and only to be scuttled recent .. least last eight years back.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2010%20Flightsim/CVN-65to43Custom.jpg

Lexington (my old ship) was the last Essex class in commission having left the service in 1992.

Ian Warren
October 16th, 2012, 17:48
Lexington (my old ship) was the last Essex class in commission having left the service in 1992.

Thanks Willy for the information , i was prity sure but to confirm .. great!:cool: , funny .. i can't swim full stop , i'm a bird not a fish but yet have this intense fassination with aircraft carriers , i check the net .. good to see she was also saved .

TARPSBird
October 17th, 2012, 14:43
All the former straight-deck carriers gave the Navy a very good return on whatever investment they made, but I'd definitely have to single out the Lexington for its long service as the Training Command carrier. :salute:

FSX68
October 17th, 2012, 15:55
OK... a couple of things need correcting in this thread.

The reason the Essex class carriers never operated F-4 Phantoms had NOTHING to do with hangar height... they had a 17' 6" clear height*... which is also the clear hangar height of the 3 Midway class carriers and HMS Ark Royal... all of which DID operate F-4s for many years!

The 150' stroke length C-11-2 catapults were one reason... the Midway class had the longer and more powerful 215' stroke length C-11-1 catapults, and Ark Royal had the 199' stroke length BS5A catapult.

Another reason was the wood deck forward... the two afterburner nozzles of the F-4's engines sat closer to the deck than the single one of the F-8, creating far more heating issues for the wood flight deck.

The primary reasons, however, were landing impacts and wire pull-out.

While the A-3 was heavier than the F-4, it landed at a far lower speed (mass times velocity, remember?), thus the impact force on the aluminum-re-enforced landing area was less overall, and less pull-out of the arresting wires was needed to stop it.

The F-4 pulled the wires out far enough that they were dangerously close to the end of the angle, too close for acceptable safety margins.

The F-4 also hit the deck with enough force to require a complete replacement and re-enforcement of the flight deck in the landing area.

It was the combination of these factors, and the amount of work (and thus money) needed to correct these issues, that led to the decision to only operate F-4s from the Midway class and the new "supercarriers".

(I found this info on the USS Bon Homme Richard Forum....)

TARPSBird
October 17th, 2012, 16:34
All of what you listed there is valid, although I'd question the height of the F-4's A/B flame as causing a problem on an Essex class. When a Crusader was in tension on the cat its A/B flame was pretty close to the deck with no adverse effect.
Anybody who's watched aircraft trap aboard a carrier has seen the differences in how the various aircraft types come aboard. The A-3 comes wallowing in, doing its "Whale dance", and then settles onto the flight deck as crewmen take cover behind deck equipment in case it comes in a bit too far off center. :icon_lol: The F-4 seems to kinda quit flying as it crosses the ramp and lands with a thud, and that describes a good landing. With the F-4 there was always a fine line between the words "landing" and "crash". On my first cruise I saw the results of an excessively hard landing by a F-4, the main mounts were driven up through the wings to where the top skin on the wing was bulged and torn. IIRC the pilot had to find a different line of work after that incident.

peter12213
October 17th, 2012, 17:45
Here we go Tarps , scow'd the land for this book back in 1987 , no internet back then , working on a 1/144 scale RC model - least put on hold , like the Essex class the Midways are the real traditional carrier .... i dig up that photo of four together as well for interests sake . :cool:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2010%20Flightsim/CV-41Custom.jpg
This photo was taken in 1961 and they all appear to carry the NE tail code

That can't be real, I mean it's got to be posed for cold war propaganda purposes, no way could that work at sea!

Ian Warren
October 17th, 2012, 18:04
@ TARPS , Yes i have footage like many of us and the A3 seem to float on the deck by compare to the F4 , we would not want to break a pretty Essex deck :icon_lol:

@ Peter12213 , October 1961 was VAH8(A-3D) , same unit up to April 1965 , they then replaced with the earlier A-3B and for some reason but also operated VAP-61(RA-3B) , then 1967 replaced in 1972 with Air wing 5 only operating the KA-5D until phased out by the KA-6 .
They could have operated a full squadron .

TARPSBird
October 17th, 2012, 19:24
On the Apr-Nov '71 Midway cruise we had a three-plane Whale det (EKA-3B) from VAQ-130 that provided tanker and jamming support. They were still aboard on the next cruise when the air war in VN heated up. Normally the Whale det and the RF-8 photo det (my outfit) were the "bastard children" of any air wing but fortunately we both had senior Lieutenant Commanders as OinC's so we didn't fare too badly. :icon_lol:

Ian Warren
October 18th, 2012, 11:44
Had to add these :cool: I'm sure 'G' would have watch them all . Parts 1-3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXaKTJIVxHM&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrEUMUtsII8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_K4srvBkWs&feature=relmfu

FSX68
October 18th, 2012, 13:00
All of what you listed there is valid, although I'd question the height of the F-4's A/B flame as causing a problem on an Essex class. When a Crusader was in tension on the cat its A/B flame was pretty close to the deck with no adverse effect.
Anybody who's watched aircraft trap aboard a carrier has seen the differences in how the various aircraft types come aboard. The A-3 comes wallowing in, doing its "Whale dance", and then settles onto the flight deck as crewmen take cover behind deck equipment in case it comes in a bit too far off center. :icon_lol: The F-4 seems to kinda quit flying as it crosses the ramp and lands with a thud, and that describes a good landing. With the F-4 there was always a fine line between the words "landing" and "crash". On my first cruise I saw the results of an excessively hard landing by a F-4, the main mounts were driven up through the wings to where the top skin on the wing was bulged and torn. IIRC the pilot had to find a different line of work after that incident.

That F4 landing you saw sounds like he didn't land he arrived. My first encounter with F4's was with VF-154 with their F4J's Block 158 Series: they had a serious smoke abatement fix that needed fixing and I remember the sounds of the the J79's howling as they made their approach to the flight deck; it was more of a controlled crash when they snagged one of the wires. I'll bet charlie cong in his black PJ's remembers the F4's howling sounds as the pilots pickled off a few bombs/napalm from their Mers/Ters. I did do a stint with F8C's with VF-24 (Mig killers) and when they landed, it was a clumsy dodo bird style event. The nose of the plane would almost dive down really low and looked like it was almost out of control.

Ian Warren
October 18th, 2012, 13:51
F8s and controlled crash's .. Oct 1961 coming on board the Franklin D.Roosevelt CVA-42 , in the Atlantic , be the most famous film and stills when a carrier pitch's up just as the Crusader comes down , amazing sequence of shots , used in training to show what to do .

I recall the FDR CVA-42 was scrapped early due to a grounding (1977) , i can't recall were i view the report , any of you US Navy guys can shed any light on what happened ?

gp183601
October 23rd, 2012, 13:48
Just an update - I am still working on this but juggling HMS Ark Royal V as well now!

:running:

Have added attachpoints for the deck to get IFOLS (attachpt_runway_start, end and edge) as well as attachpoints for cables and cats (attachpt_Catapult_start_1, end_1 etc etc).

However when testing not sure they are actually working correctly and I have used MCX to add them.

Need to search the MCX thread/drop a question to the experts at fsdeveloper to see if you can add these attachpoints in MCX (i.e. model will export with them added), or if you need to use 3DSMax and the associated attachpoint tool (I know you can add lights, effects and platforms in MCX that's what I add to my models at the moment and know they work...got less experience with cables and cats)

Also found this image of a 3D model of Oriskany created for a dive site and noticed the island more closely resembles the original Oriskany island than the sketchup model I downloaded.

The nit picky person in me wants to modify the sketchup island structure now!

I know I said this would be a "quick and dirty mod" but i've caught the bug for this ship now and want to try and get it right (i'm spending more time on this than my HMS Queen Elizabeth model for myself!)

So....for the guys who showed the initial enthusiasm creating the thread for this sketchup model to be converted (which caught my interest), if you would like a copy of the model as is now whilst I continue working on it - PM me i'll zip up a copy.

It WILL be buggy, but you should be able to at least do bolters and chopper landings on the deck (and provide me feedback on any issues you see) ;)

However if you are happy to wait....please be patient...same goes for the rest of you :mixedsmi: I don't want to release something "en masse" when it's still not right and get flooded with complaints.

FYI for some of the people who contacted me privately - yes I am aware this sketchup model was not created by me, but at no point have I claimed this to be my own work...I am merely trying to bring it to life in FSX...all rights and credits are those of the original developers and I will state this in any "readme's"

Cheers
Gary

Ian Warren
October 23rd, 2012, 14:45
Gary I'm going to PM you , with your reply did you want photos of the bridge superstructure and Island sent thru ? take a little while to collect all and scan .

Cheers Ian

SkippyBing
October 24th, 2012, 03:17
Gary,

You can add the attach points for the catapults etc. in 3D Studio/gMax, it's not as straightforward as the other stuff as they're not included in the default options. I've linked a couple of pages at FSDevelepor.com that should cover what you need to do to get them working, although they may be a bit hard to follow as I wrote a lot of the content! If you're having problems drop me a PM and I can send you a file with the attach points in which you should be able to merge with yours and just reposition accordingly.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Catapult/Arrestor_Operations_%28FSXA%29

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8673&highlight=carrier+cables

crashaz
October 24th, 2012, 20:48
I can help you out with some questions and a online session if needed. Attachpoints and how they are named is how this is accomplished in 3DMax/GMAX

TARPSBird
October 24th, 2012, 22:29
I recall the FDR CVA-42 was scrapped early due to a grounding (1977) , i can't recall were i view the report , any of you US Navy guys can shed any light on what happened ?
She wasn't scrapped due to a grounding. FDR was pretty weary by the mid-1970's. She didn't receive the modernizations the Coral Sea and Midway received, and I don't think the Navy ever allowed her to recover from the lengthy 1972 deployment when America and Saratoga went to Vietnam and FDR was left covering the Med. She got a quick turn-around and was deployed again in the fall of 1973 during the Yom Kippur war. The new Nimitz class decks were coming online so the Navy decided to scrap her rather than spend money updating her. Same thing might have happened to Coral Sea but she made it into the Reagan years with the 600-ship Navy.

Ian Warren
October 25th, 2012, 02:00
Cheers , Thanks TARPS , it gos with the entire Essex fleet , some ships simply have the legs to continue for decades , from the well known to the most famous , with so many of the class CV-34 scored the final run , Intrepid well known NY museum , Lexington 1992 service , but the info on the latter , the Midways , guess the ole FDR just got a lot more bruised than here sisters .

expat
October 25th, 2012, 03:55
Great discussion, particularly with those who were actually "there." :salute:

TARPSBird
October 25th, 2012, 11:32
USS Shangri-La (CV/CVA/CVS-38) was another Essex class deck that gave her last full measure of devotion (and more) in the late 60's. There's no doubt among us old Vietnam carrier sailors that the Navy pretty much drove "Shang" into the ground. Here is a narrative by Cdr. Jim Reid describing Shang's last deployment, a pretty good read and a lot of it confirmed to me personally years ago by my VFP-63 squadron mates who made the cruise...
http://uss-shangri-la.com/lastcruise.html

gp183601
October 25th, 2012, 12:55
Thanks for all the advice fellas, i'll look into 3DS attachpoints and those links you've all sent me. the attachpoints are all added via MCX and are specified correctly - I just don't know if they can be exported by MCX unlike the effects and lights.

Cheers
G

FSX68
October 25th, 2012, 13:05
On the Apr-Nov '71 Midway cruise we had a three-plane Whale det (EKA-3B) from VAQ-130 that provided tanker and jamming support. They were still aboard on the next cruise when the air war in VN heated up. Normally the Whale det and the RF-8 photo det (my outfit) were the "bastard children" of any air wing but fortunately we both had senior Lieutenant Commanders as OinC's so we didn't fare too badly. :icon_lol:

I was with VF-24 (F-8 C's - No wing hard points for bomb racks) and deployed on the Hancock and Bonnie Dick back in the early 60's; we had a few Whales on board as well. Seems I can remember them being useful for transporting Mail and Zuni Tubes for us to use on those F-8's. I loaded my share of Zunis' back then. I know they had a black whale at Cubi point that would fly only at night to Nam on some kind of hush hush quiet quiet secret missions. I think they had the Peter Rabbit (PR) on their tails.

Ian Warren
October 25th, 2012, 13:06
Interesting read , thank for sharing , I believe it was both the Oriskany and the Shangri-La that starred in the movie "The Bridges at Toko-Ri" .

FSX68
October 25th, 2012, 13:08
Had to add these :cool: I'm sure 'G' would have watch them all . Parts 1-3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXaKTJIVxHM&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrEUMUtsII8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_K4srvBkWs&feature=relmfu

Great flicks. Ya know, you could of just painted any of the other 27'C's hull numbers on the flight deck as the ops in the Tonkin Gulf were the same. i.e., CV 19/CV 31 etc.

fliger747
October 25th, 2012, 16:51
Toko Ri was interesting as it was one of the few straight deck jet landing sequences I have seen. I was quite amazed at the low flat approach, suppose that it helped them keep spooled up.

T

Daveroo
October 26th, 2012, 08:32
what is a "whale"?

hae5904
October 26th, 2012, 08:35
what is a "whale"?

A-3 Skywarrior.......

:salute:

Hank

Daveroo
October 26th, 2012, 08:38
ahhh,,,thank you

Ian Warren
October 26th, 2012, 12:05
what is a "whale"?
As Hank pointed out , Dave if you study the USS Midway photo , Whale seems appropriate ... Nine on the deck , I have my eyeball out for a photo i have showing five on the deck of a Essex class . :cool:

gp183601
February 1st, 2013, 13:50
Haven't given an update on this thread in a while so here's where we are at the moment:

Version 0.2 beta currently in MCX just updating hard deck, effects, and adding attachpoints for catapult and arrestor. I'll build a carrier track (or maybe try ai carriers for the first time) and then test her out in FSX to see if it's possible to add cats and traps only using MCX.

Changes from the original sketchup model by gacer and my changes to create an "FSX" version 0.1 which was tested in FSX.
-Island reworked
-Textures Reworked
-5 A-4 skyhawks added to the deck with textures by Ian Warren
-Minor changes to the hull model to reflect more accurately Oriskany's layout

I'll post some pictures in FSX once i've started testing. If all goes well with arrestor gear i'll release it as an "interim" build for people to test and provide feedback, prior to version 0.3 release

Modelling plans for 0.3 at the moment
-Deck equipment
-Update the gun mounts
-I have a Skyraider 3D mesh I purchased a while back...too complex for the model as is may try and reduce the poly count by simplifying the mesh to add additional aircraft.

I'd love to add some deck crew but that's a while off unless someone would like to work with me and create some? (this is a free for all sketchup model conversion after all....no "copyrights" with anything i've done)

ATB
Gary

PRB
February 1st, 2013, 14:14
That's looking nice! Looking forward to making some traps, or wave-offs... :salute:

- Paul

Ian Warren
February 1st, 2013, 15:48
:salute:Golly , she really is growing up , that really dose look smart :cool:

Ian Warren
February 1st, 2013, 15:59
Great discussion, particularly with those who were actually "there." :salute:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2010%20Flightsim/1Custom-128.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2010%20Flightsim/2Custom-117.jpg
:icon_lol:

warchild
February 1st, 2013, 18:08
Marsbar?? ::lol:; i love it.. I named my cat meatloaf ::lol:;..

Ian Warren
February 1st, 2013, 19:35
Marsbar?? ::lol:; i love it.. I named my cat meatloaf ::lol:;..

Pam , YIP , 'Marsbar' the now NZFF national hanger cat , least he thinks so :icon_lol: ... After a good Meatloaf doing the paws (i mean chores) , guess be the same as the ole Mars looking at ya thinking what the ell ar ya doing .. then oh well off :running: and after dinner off for a :costum:for a bitta fun :icon_lol:

gp183601
February 5th, 2013, 05:06
Testing time in the F-8

The meatball is a little off....need to play around with the the config but the start, end, and edge attachpoints seem to be in the right place

Too much time spent modelling - boy am I out of practice and the F-8 is a handful - 12 bolters, three crashes into the rounddown, and zero traps!
Think i'll need to try something a little more friendly. Any suggestions for a decent freeware carrier training aircraft from that era?

Think i'll have to stick to the harrier in future....stopping and landing definitely easier than landing and stopping! :icon_lol:

ATB
G

fallenphoenix1986
February 5th, 2013, 06:57
Looking good, if the F-8 is too much of a handfull how about Milton's S-2F or a T-28?
If you want a jet and it dosnt have to be American theres always the Zephyr, all are fairly forgiving and come in much slower than the F-8.

Craig

gp183601
February 5th, 2013, 07:06
I was trying to capture the "spirit of the era" by trying an aircraft that operated from Oriskany's deck...only recently installed the F-8. Think i'l stick to what I know and do a bit of "cross decking" (F-4K, Scimitar, Sea Vixen, Bucc)

:-)

delta_lima
February 5th, 2013, 08:36
Great looking boat, Gary - can't wait - and I can think of about a dozen members by name that are dying for a 60s era 27C boat.

Yes, the F-8 is a bit of a "D-Type Jaguar" to learn to fly well, but rewarding once the fuel state, AoA, and throttle settings are mastered. Alternatives - whether directly from that boat, or similar to the period include the FSX Virtavia F4D Skyray, Alphasim's ported A-3 Skywarrior, Razbam's T-2, the Virtavia A-4 Skyhawk, the Razbam A-7A/B/E , the S-2 and T-28 that have already been mentioned - though if ease of landing is the objective, the T-28 and S-2 are the best from the list. Finally, Piglet's awesome A-1 Skyraider rounds out the "realistic" choices. If you have the Razbam F2H Banshee or the Vertigo Studios F9F Panther, then you could add an early jet to the list, though I highly doubt they flew operationally off any angled deck boats - most squadrons were converting off the type before the O got her new deck.

Cross-deck alternatives (separate from the ones that have been mentioned) could be Rob Richardson's Gannet family, and his and/or Alphasim's Sea Venoms, though I doubt those types ever cross-decked. You mentioned the Phantom - so far as I know, neither USN nor FAA Phantoms ever operated off the O, though I welcome being corrected by a more knowledgeable member on that.

Anyway - great progress shots - can't wait to give the Crusader a new home!

Regards,

DL

gp183601
February 5th, 2013, 08:49
You mentioned the Phantom - so far as I know, neither USN nor FAA Phantoms ever operated off the O, though I welcome being corrected by a more knowledgeable member on that.

No you're right the F-4 never did operate (to my knowledge) from an Essex. However most of my carrier time is spent with the Alphasim F-4 and Flying stations Ark Royal....so i'm fairly comfortable lugging that turkey round in the pattern and onto a deck.

I'll stick with the F-4 and Dino's T-45 for testing purposes to check the catapult and arrestor attachpoints are working. I've picked up some model and attachpoint anomalies in FSX so i'll need to update again after testing.

Once this model is (finally) complete i'll go back to mastering the F-8

:jump:

Cheers
G

Ian Warren
February 5th, 2013, 11:14
I was trying to capture the "spirit of the era" by trying an aircraft that operated from Oriskany's deck...only recently installed the F-8. Think i'l stick to what I know and do a bit of "cross decking" (F-4K, Scimitar, Sea Vixen, Bucc)

:-)

Cross deck operations sound good to me .. I do have the Scimitar and the Sea Vixen ... course be interesting to put the Skywarrior on this deck :cool:

SkippyBing
February 5th, 2013, 11:57
Cross-deck alternatives (separate from the ones that have been mentioned) could be Rob Richardson's Gannet family, and his and/or Alphasim's Sea Venoms, though I doubt those types ever cross-decked.

Oriskany and the Victorious cross decked in '66 so it's likely Gannets from the Vic got onboard along with the Vixens and S2 Buccaneers.

In fact, just found this http://glewis.us/recollections/recollections4.htm

delta_lima
February 5th, 2013, 12:36
Oriskany and the Victorious cross decked in '66 so it's likely Gannets from the Vic got onboard along with the Vixens and S2 Buccaneers.

In fact, just found this http://glewis.us/recollections/recollections4.htm

Cool - thanks for pointing that correction out - and for the awesome article!

Speaking of the Victorious ... I heard some bloke was working on one ... can't recall who, though! ... :running: .... J/K - the last shot of it looked awesome, btw!!

DL

SkippyBing
February 5th, 2013, 13:04
Cool - thanks for pointing that correction out - and for the awesome article!

To be honest it helps having lots of reference photos with the Oriskany's aircraft on the Victorious so I knew what to look for!

gp183601
February 5th, 2013, 13:56
Getting consistent aircraft crashes on the deck no matter what I tried to land with and just couldn't figure it out....eventually I landed a Harrier on the fore deck and back taxied along the length of the deck to finally trace the problem......the arrestor cables.

Tried to compile the model with crash detection turned off and still get a crash on the deck as soon as an aircraft touches the cables. I don't know if it's a model issue or an attachpoint issue but i'll need to look into it as you can't land anything on the deck at the moment.

:banghead:

Sindhu
February 8th, 2013, 23:33
Looking good, if the F-8 is too much of a handfull how about Milton's S-2F or a T-28?
If you want a jet and it dosnt have to be American theres always the Zephyr, all are fairly forgiving and come in much slower than the F-8.

Craig

Milton's S-2F is perfect, some of the ESSEX class carriers like USS Bennington CV-20 carried 2 squadrons of the Tracker and served as an ASW carrier.

The Milton's E-1 Tracer and Tim's A-1 Skyraider are perfect too.

gp183601
February 10th, 2013, 03:29
Whilst trying to resolve the arrestor problem i'm doing some updates to the model after the testing revealed some texture issues, and i've started to include some deck vehicles such as the MD-3 tractor

Trying to source some reference material for the crash crane of the era. Can anyone give me some info?

Cheers
G

warchild
February 10th, 2013, 06:16
For those of you having trouble with the F-8 i've uploaded a more closer to correct flight model. it can be found here at http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=4&sort=h&page=5&pp=20 or search for Alphasim F-8 FDE Update or Alpha F-8-FDE-010113 .zip

Ian Warren
February 10th, 2013, 12:10
Whilst trying to resolve the arrestor problem i'm doing some updates to the model after the testing revealed some texture issues, and i've started to include some deck vehicles such as the MD-3 tractor

Trying to source some reference material for the crash crane of the era. Can anyone give me some info?

Cheers
G

A Tilly , Im on the case .. lets see what i can find :cool: That is a requirement !

fliger747
February 10th, 2013, 17:00
The guy who checked me out as Capt in the 747-400 flew the efff ate off the big O against such worthy targets as the Than Ho bridge. Did get to ride on her once for a day underway. My contribution to the effort besides a stint at the helm was close to zero. I am amazed at how much a list developes during tight maneuvering!

keep up the good work. T

gp183601
April 17th, 2013, 01:39
It's been a while since i've posted on this thread but the Oriskany model is not dead....Just causing lots of problems!!
Much like the RFNs Charles De Gaulle package, the Oriskany mdl is giving me all sorts of grief cleaning up the deck to be able to fly with crash detection ON. I've found loads of anomalous objects in the sketchup model and I'm still tracking the ones that generate crash on deck in and around the arrestor cables when testing in FSX. It's a slow process but i'm essentially back to the drawing board with the model

However, given all these Crusaders and Skyhawks flying about on here - I thought i'd upload Oriskany as is for anyone wishing to use her. She's perfectly useable in FSX provided you turn crash detection OFF in FSX -> settings.

The arrestor cables and catapults work fine, the only other minor problem is the meatball isn't where it should be (alignment issue)

So if any of you are happy to put up with these glitches then the zip is attached

In the meantime i'm still working on redoing the mdl to remove object crashes, add deck crew and some low poly crusaders, and generally redo some of the texturing.

ATB
Gary

FSX68
April 17th, 2013, 04:27
The pics speak for themselves. For a Beta this is like the good old days for me. BTW The NP on those A4 tails were the CAG onboard USS Hancock back in the Mid 60' (CAG 21)
The Kaman SH-2 Seasprite (Hooky-Two) was THE utility/asw helo for the 27-C carriers. I rode in one once and it was a hoot to fly in (kind of cramped inside).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaman_SH-2_Seasprite

gp183601
April 17th, 2013, 05:22
Where did you get that Seasprite? Looks pretty cool will need to try it out. As for the tailcode i'll see if my texture expert can help out
:mixedsmi:

FSX68
April 17th, 2013, 06:08
Where did you get that Seasprite? Looks pretty cool will need to try it out. As for the tailcode i'll see if my texture expert can help out
:mixedsmi:

It's from Virtavia:
http://secure.simmarket.com/virtavia-sh-2-seasprite.phtml

I believe it was CAG 16 assigned to the Oriskany
tail code for the F8's and A4s = AH

http://www.flickr.com/photos/va163saints/802016215/

Sindhu
April 17th, 2013, 07:39
Great job, sir. :applause: Thanks a lot :wiggle:

Ian Warren
April 17th, 2013, 11:29
For a Beta this is like the good old days for me. BTW The NP on those A4 tails were the CAG onboard USS Hancock back in the Mid 60' (CAG 21)
Tail coding AH for the Oriskany in the period , was to change it .. the arrow head on the tail i have a B/W photo guessing its Red .. this was a template i grabbed to see how wel it wrapped onto the A4 model

:icon_lol: Gary , the Seasprite really suits the carrier .. i do like the packages after the vertreps .. most i recall one more suited done Alphasim , the model, a Seaknight :cool:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

gp183601
April 17th, 2013, 11:35
this was a template i grabbed to see how well it wrapped onto the A4 model

And it worked a treat! - far better than anything I could have done!

Ian Warren
April 17th, 2013, 11:42
And it worked a treat! - far better than anything I could have done!

How did you go with pictures of a tilly ... a big yellow crane normally stored at the back of the island .. i was to go though my library here , i do recall a side plan , just need to recall what book its or even to find were it is .... i do have it . :kilroy:

FSX68
April 17th, 2013, 11:52
Tail coding AH for the Oriskany in the period , was to change it .. the arrow head on the tail i have a B/W photo guessing its Red .. this was a template i grabbed to see how wel it wrapped onto the A4 model

:icon_lol: Gary , the Seasprite really suits the carrier .. i do like the packages after the vertreps .. most i recall one more suited done Alphasim , the model, a Seaknight :cool:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I rather thought so too as I was embarked on two 27C's that had them. It IS period correct.

OT; I remember most of the different tail codes for the different CAG aircraft. My brothers (USS Connie) was NG. He was with VF-96 F-4's; part of the crud crew. (Corrosion control).
U.S. NAVY Aircraft tail codes are used to organize an aircraft in Carrier Air Wings, support units not deployed on an aircraft carrier or not deployed overseas, and training commands. In Carrier Air Wing tail codes, the first letter denotes which fleet the Air Wing deploys from; A for Atlantic Fleet and N for Pacific Fleet. Tail codes in this category are organized as follows:

CVW-1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_Air_Wing_One): AB
CVW-2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_Air_Wing_Two): NE
CVW-3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_Air_Wing_Three): AC
CVW-5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_Air_Wing_Five): NF
CVW-7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_Air_Wing_Seven): AG
CVW-8 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_Air_Wing_Eight): AJ
CVW-9 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_Air_Wing_Nine): NG
CVW-11 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_Air_Wing_Eleven): NH
CVW-14 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_Air_Wing_Fourteen): NK
CVW-17 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_Air_Wing_Seventeen): AA

There were others back in the day but they have been decommissioned. Back then, we had over 500 ships.

Ian Warren
April 17th, 2013, 12:14
Arr a Cherry Picker Aye ... I got Tilly from "The Bridges of Toki-Ri"... :icon_lol: .. have a story here bout one off them ... up in a posh area around Auckland NZ .. during my brothers wedding .. in a very a well the terrain made it not be as safe as what we started to do playing around with it in one beauty warm afternoon .... elevated above the roof of this three story house ... up down up down .. just having fun (bloody dangerous albeit ) but to see the neighbours Jaw drop as we flew across the roof ... she just :running:...... :icon_lol: <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Ian Warren
April 17th, 2013, 12:22
There we go - this time let your eyes do the walking , USS Oriskany (VA-34) 1966 deployment , aircraft A-4E VA-164 , AH tail code .. Red arrowhead marking :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

gp183601
April 17th, 2013, 12:38
How did you go with pictures of a tilly ... a big yellow crane normally stored at the back of the island .. i was to go though my library here , i do recall a side plan , just need to recall what book its or even to find were it is .... i do have it . :kilroy:

No problem Ian I actually managed to get quite a few pics of the tilly after some digging...so will probably add that in my next release.

airattackimages
April 17th, 2013, 13:36
She's beautiful, will be downloading as soon as I'm home!

Ian Warren
April 17th, 2013, 13:49
No problem Ian I actually managed to get quite a few pics of the tilly after some digging...so will probably add that in my next release.
Superb , i'll have a little play and adjust tail-codes colours to suit :cool:

FSX68
April 17th, 2013, 13:56
Good info here including videos of the flare fire that gave the ship the nickname Crispy "O" or Toasty "O"

http://www.va-164.org/uss_oriskany.htm

delta_lima
April 17th, 2013, 14:50
Gary - it's a nice looking boat - no doubt about that.

Cables now work (versus the beta I had), and the cat works as it should. I don't know if it's the new statics - but my FPS are down to 4 / 5 - your earlier version caused a drop, but not nearly so drastic (was about 12-15, from my pegged 30) Bear in mind, I have an ancient PC - but there's at least a relative impact hit of some kind.

Anyone else found this?

Regardless, a wonderful work - hoping the meatball gets sorted - maybe on final compile the fps will get sorted ... but even if not, will keep this until I get a new pc - maybe then it'll be fine. Great project, and thanks so much!!

DL

Bone
April 17th, 2013, 15:00
A very nice boat! As nice as the statics are to have, I do think it would be good to have a version with no static aircraft. I'm not criticizing, just putting an idea out there :)

Bone
April 17th, 2013, 19:18
I'm not sure if this helps with the 'crash' issue, but when I hover the Sea Sprite at about 10 feet off of the deck and just forward of the cables, I get a lot of smoke and sparks coming from the rotor blades. It's like the rotors are striking something right there. I know you said to turn off the crash detection (which I did), but there's something in the model that's showing up as an invisible obstacle in that spot.

Sindhu
April 17th, 2013, 20:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6VeG8dFva4

Mr.Payne,sir. Your carrier is looked really great in my windshield sir:wiggle:

I hope someone will repaints the planes of Oriskany for us like these S2F-3 and E1B from the Eagle Rotorcraft Simulations and the Douglas A-1H Skyraider by Mr.Conrads.:wavey:

Greeting from Thailand sir :salute:

TARPSBird
April 18th, 2013, 00:35
Outstanding piece of work! I can almost smell the stack gas as I'm approaching the ramp. :icon_lol: After seeing the ship's rusted hulk sunk for a reef some years back it's good to see the "O-Boat" underway again, if only as a nicely detailed animation. Hats off to Gary for getting the ship working in FSX.

gp183601
April 18th, 2013, 00:50
Gary - it's a nice looking boat - no doubt about that.

Cables now work (versus the beta I had), and the cat works as it should. I don't know if it's the new statics - but my FPS are down to 4 / 5 - your earlier version caused a drop, but not nearly so drastic (was about 12-15, from my pegged 30) Bear in mind, I have an ancient PC - but there's at least a relative impact hit of some kind.

Anyone else found this?

Regardless, a wonderful work - hoping the meatball gets sorted - maybe on final compile the fps will get sorted ... but even if not, will keep this until I get a new pc - maybe then it'll be fine. Great project, and thanks so much!!

DL

Hmmm...curious about the FPS. With this version I removed a lot of dead polys which were hidden in the sketchup model. My PC is about 6 years old running Vista 32, and I noticed an INCREASE in framerates over the model I sent to you for test. I'll look into it.

As for the meatball - the attachpoint positioning is correct for runway start, end and edge, but I think several other developers have noticed if you use the default acceleration IFOLS it's really positioned for Nimitz Class carriers so doesn't work too well on anything smaller. The meatball is automatically placed on the left hand side of the area defined as the runway, and it's not possible to configure the IFOLS for anything other than the default glideslope, or to alter the style and configuration of the lights. I could "move" the defined runway area over slightly which would get the meatball to line up, but then the glideslope wouldn't accurately represent where the runway is. Might be easier just to move the positioning of the IFOLS in the model. It wouldn't be accurate as to it's proper position on the carrier but it might look a little more aesthetically pleasing!

gp183601
April 18th, 2013, 00:51
A very nice boat! As nice as the statics are to have, I do think it would be good to have a version with no static aircraft. I'm not criticizing, just putting an idea out there :)

Two versions with and without statics? - Can do!

gp183601
April 18th, 2013, 01:12
I'm not sure if this helps with the 'crash' issue, but when I hover the Sea Sprite at about 10 feet off of the deck and just forward of the cables, I get a lot of smoke and sparks coming from the rotor blades. It's like the rotors are striking something right there. I know you said to turn off the crash detection (which I did), but there's something in the model that's showing up as an invisible obstacle in that spot.

Yep you've hit the nail on the head. That's exactly where I see the crash but try as I might, so far I haven't been able to track it down. I believe it's the way i've modelled the arrestor cables, but having enabled "view" crash boxes in MCX and checking over the model I can find nothing. If I remove the arrestor cable polys the crash issue goes away but visually it doesn't look right. If I raise the platform for the defined hard deck area it also fixes the crash problem but then the aircraft look like they are floating. At the moment i'm trying to come up with a compromise.

As an aside is everyone getting black smoke belching out of the funnel? I forgot to include the fx file but it is a standard FSX effect. If not i'll include it in the next version.

ATB
Gary

FSX68
April 18th, 2013, 04:06
As an aside is everyone getting black smoke belching out of the funnel? I forgot to include the fx file but it is a standard FSX effect. If not i'll include it in the next version.

ATB
Gary[/QUOTE]

Gary,

No smoke here....... Maybe some... cough.... cough.....stack gas.....:)

Bone
April 18th, 2013, 06:05

ATB
Gary

She's smoking for me quite nicely.

FSX68
April 18th, 2013, 07:34
I checked the Beta 0.4 files and I see no effects so if there is smoke like some people say there is then, I'm not seeing it in version I got. No biggie. No antenna animation either but then
its a WIP :icon_lol:
I made a trap on the "O" boat with s2f like other gentleman did and I looked for smoke but it's not showing up. Is there a smoke effect file that I am missing?

Bone
April 18th, 2013, 07:59
Lol. Oops! Sorry, but I forgot that I turned this model into a pilotable version, using the Alphasim USS Belleau Wood model's CFG and FDE. The effects I'm seeing are from the Belleau Wood. Oddly, the smoke is coming from the exhaust stack just perfectly, and I didn't change the coordinates for it.
I checked the Beta 0.4 files and I see no effects so if there is smoke like some people say there is then, I'm not seeing it in version I got. No biggie.

ST0RM
April 18th, 2013, 10:42
Installed and flew several approaches and landings in the default EH-101 and Dino T-45C.

The crash point above and forward of the arresting gear is there and I had the same results in the helo. Sparks and smoke if I was close.

Landing the T-45 was trial and error. You had to be really slow and extremely light. I made my first approach at 46% fuel, full flaps and boards to keep the speed at 137-140kts across the ramp. The arresting gear couldnt stop me and I went over the edge.

On the go, I dumped down to 15% fuel and made another approach. Same configuration as before, but kept my speed at 130kts or so. Trapped ok, but still very close to the edge and with alot of hopping.

I then taxied clear to Cat 1 and hooked up fine. No shuttle, but it did take up tension after lowering the launch bar and the cat assist "Shift I". The JBD stayed down, but upon the cat shot, got up to 180Kts at the end, with a very large drop off that required attention to prevent hitting the water.

The light emitters for the landing signal system are off to the left of the actual lights by a length and I did not have the smoke either. Frames were good, but did drop off while close to the ship by 10-15. On deck, about 10-15 again but managable.

All in all, this is a nice beta model. The detail is excellent. Thank you for the work you have put into it. It fills a void in carriers and I hope to see it continue.

-Jeff

mjrhealth
April 18th, 2013, 11:32
Hi, you may want to talk to the guys over at RFN and see if you can inplement there tacan gauge as I am pretty sure withit, it does cat shots based on weight and arresting the same, as long as the gauge is put in the aircraft you are using. They can help you make this a better carrier, just look at there last CDG.

gp183601
April 18th, 2013, 11:42
The crash point above and forward of the arresting gear is there and I had the same results in the helo. Sparks and smoke if I was close.

Yep - i've identified the same place in FSX, but having searched for it in MCX I can see nothing

You can see from the MCX screenshot there appears to be no crashboxes around the arrestor gear (the crashbox areas are defined in pink), so it's like trying to search for an invisible needle in a haystack. I've got no idea how many hours i've spent searching for it :banghead:

I then taxied clear to Cat 1 and hooked up fine. No shuttle, but it did take up tension after lowering the launch bar and the cat assist "Shift I". The JBD stayed down, but upon the cat shot, got up to 180Kts at the end, with a very large drop off that required attention to prevent hitting the water.

There are no JBD, shuttle or any other animations. This model is converted from a sketchup model using MCX and as such does not support the addition of animations. I could try and import it into GMAX and add animations but i don't really have the time to learn that package. I'm also more interested in Royal Navy Carriers so this project was more me offering to help some else out in dragging this beast into something useable for FSX.

That said if anyone wants to tinker with the model to add animations they can.

The light emitters for the landing signal system are off to the left of the actual lights by a length and I did not have the smoke either. Frames were good, but did drop off while close to the ship by 10-15. On deck, about 10-15 again but managable.

Yeah it's difficult to place the meatball as you can't place it next to where you have the landing sight....you define a runway "area" via attachpoints and the meatball is then placed within that area. I'm getting closer to alignment but with MCX it's a case of manually entering co-ordinates for start, end, and edge of the runway - compile,test, fiddle some more, compile test fiddle some more etc etc. lots more of this

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :angryfir::angryfir::banghead::banghead:

ATB
Gary

Bone
April 18th, 2013, 12:30
I hope you don't mind, but I was going to create another texture file and change the cv number to CV-16/USS Lexington. I looked at all of the texture files with DXT-BMP, but don't see where the numbers are for the deck and island. I've looked and looked, and even magnified the files, but can't find where they are. Can you tell me where the deck and island numbers are located? My T-2C Buckeye is howling to go home.

gp183601
April 18th, 2013, 12:38
I hope you don't mind, but I was going to create another texture file and change the cv number to CV-16/USS Lexington. I looked at all of the texture files with DXT-BMP, but don't see where the numbers are for the deck and island. I've looked and looked, and even magnified the files, but can't find where they are. Can you tell me where the deck and island numbers are located? My T-2C Buckeye is howling to go home.

The deck numbers are part of the model. The original sketchup model had them physically "embedded". I can remove them and put a transparent "placeholder" with numbering, though it'll take a bit of work as removing the polys will destroy sections of the flight deck and island.

Will plan it in for the next release.

Bone
April 18th, 2013, 13:01
I don't mean to be creating a lot of extra work for you, but it is much appreciated!
The deck numbers are part of the model. The original sketchup model had them physically "embedded". I can remove them and put a transparent "placeholder" with numbering, though it'll take a bit of work as removing the polys will destroy sections of the flight deck and island.

Will plan it in for the next release.

gp183601
April 18th, 2013, 13:17
I don't mean to be creating a lot of extra work for you, but it is much appreciated!

No problem..I did wonder about going for a unique model for each of the other Essex class boats, as they all appear to have little differences in their structure....you've now given me an excuse to go for the easy option and just change the numbers!

FSX68
April 18th, 2013, 13:38
No problem..I did wonder about going for a unique model for each of the other Essex class boats, as they all appear to have little differences in their structure....you've now given me an excuse to go for the easy option and just change the numbers!

Request one for the USS Hancock CV-19 dozo.....:salute:

delta_lima
April 18th, 2013, 14:22
I'm just happy there'll be a clear-deck option - anything above that, is gravy.

Out of curiousity - anyone compare the FPS hit on this build vs the prior? According to Gary, it should be a lower hit on this version than the last - and it stands to reason, as polys are sorted as the build progresses. Might be curious if it's "just me" ....

cheers,

DL

fxsttcb
April 19th, 2013, 02:05

:)Using Textures, I assume. Awesome! :salute: An entire fleet of Essex Class carriers. Tokyo Express here I come...Don

FSX68
April 19th, 2013, 05:30
Using Textures, I assume. Awesome! :salute: An entire fleet of Essex Class carriers. Tokyo Express here I come...Don

Don,

If you could tweak the numbers from 34 to 19 for me I would be most greatful! :mixedsmi:

If I had the talent to repaint this bat barge, I'd put the name(s) of the carriers on the aft end also.

fxsttcb
April 19th, 2013, 06:12
Don,

If you could tweak the numbers from 34 to 19 for me I would be most greatful! :mixedsmi:

If I had the talent to repaint this bat barge, I'd put the name(s) of the carriers on the aft end also.
We're gonna have to wait for Gary to upload the model that has the numbers in the texture(s) rather than the model itself.
After that I assume we can duplicate, and renumber, the Big "O" textures to another Essex texture.XXX folder. I think it can be done similar to how the Nimitz and Ike are arrainged.
When I master it, I'll do your Hancock "19" along with my Shangri-La "38". Maybe the Tico and BHR too. IIRC, those all had the same basic config as Oriskany.

Doggone ketchup commercial keeps running thru my head. lol ...Don

FSX68
April 19th, 2013, 06:27
We're gonna have to wait for Gary to upload the model that has the numbers in the texture(s) rather than the model itself.
After that I assume we can duplicate, and renumber, the Big "O" textures to another Essex texture.XXX folder. I think it can be done similar to how the Nimitz and Ike are arrainged.
When I master it, I'll do your Hancock "19" along with my Shangri-La "38". Maybe the Tico and BHR too. IIRC, those all had the same basic config as Oriskany.

Doggone ketchup commercial keeps running thru my head. lol ...Don

This one?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoLoyg3JKRQ

Navy Chief
April 19th, 2013, 07:00
Way back in 1973, I was with a ACLS certification det from NATC Patuxent River onboard the USS Kitty Hawk, which was berthed at NAVSTA North Island, CA. Berthed immediately aft of the Kitty was the USS Shangri-La, and the USS Oriskany. The Shang had already been decomissioned, and was awaiting being sent to the Reserve Fleet.

Memories:salute:

NC

ST0RM
April 19th, 2013, 10:18
Gary,

I hope you didnt take my comments as criticism. I was just trying to help with progress and writing about the results of my testing. Thanks for showing us the crash points. That is educational. And I'm sure it's just a single point somewhere in that area of the wires as you've shown.

Again, thanks for the work you've put into this.

-Jeff

gp183601
April 19th, 2013, 13:02
Gary,

I hope you didnt take my comments as criticism. I was just trying to help with progress and writing about the results of my testing. Thanks for showing us the crash points. That is educational. And I'm sure it's just a single point somewhere in that area of the wires as you've shown.

Again, thanks for the work you've put into this.

-Jeff

Hay Jeff,

No worries mate didn't take it is criticism, your comments were all constructive feedback. Apologies if my response came across as if I took offence, which was not my intention - Was just trying to outline some of the challenges I've been facing with this model. I want to get it as accurate as I can for you guys so any pointers or errors in the model all help. :mixedsmi:

Based on some of the responses I've read today my list for the next update is:

Tilly crane (in progress)
fix crash on deck (in progress )
align landing sight (in progress)
add missing fx
remove fixed deck number and provide texture map to switch numbers
model optimisation to improve FPS
Add texture map name on stern which can be swapped

i may also add a skyraider model to the deck but that may push up FPS, also looking at a dedicated Lexington model with static buckeyes.

Hope that's everything!!!

ATB
Gary

Navy Chief
April 19th, 2013, 13:07
Hay Jeff,

No worries mate didn't take it is criticism, your comments were all constructive feedback. Apologies if my response came across as if I took offence, which was not my intention - Was just trying to outline some of the challenges I've been facing with this model. I want to get it as accurate as I can for you guys so any pointers or errors in the model all help. :mixedsmi:

Based on some of the responses I've read today my list for the next update is:

Tilly crane (in progress)
fix crash on deck (in progress )
align landing sight (in progress)
add missing fx
remove fixed deck number and provide texture map to switch numbers
model optimisation to improve FPS
Add texture map name on stern which can be swapped

i may also add a skyraider model to the deck but that may push up FPS, also looking at a dedicated Lexington model with static buckeyes.

Hope that's everything!!!

ATB
Gary

This will be awesome! Thanks!! NC

ST0RM
April 19th, 2013, 13:58
Hay Jeff,

No worries mate didn't take it is criticism, your comments were all constructive feedback. Apologies if my response came across as if I took offence, which was not my intention - Was just trying to outline some of the challenges I've been facing with this model. I want to get it as accurate as I can for you guys so any pointers or errors in the model all help.

No not at all Gary. I was just making sure of the same thing. You know how forums are. You cant really pass on true feelings from typing/reading a post and it usually sounds harsher than intended.

Looking forward to your progress.

-Jeff

navy81
April 20th, 2013, 07:48
This is great work Gary!
Many of us have been waiting (years) for a 27C class. Just doesn't seem right flying demons, fudds, whales (the heavy attack and tankers), as well as Crusaders and Skyhawks (not the late "E" model or the super fox's (A-4F) from Nimitz/Ike.
That said, for all, if you have not seen this link http://www.gonavy.jp/AirWingsf.html it provides a great amount of info on carrier and carrier air wing deployments, all the way back to the CVG days of the 50's.
I have also taken the fantastic virtavia skyhawk, and tried a few repaints - VA-163 Saints and VA-164 Ghostriders from back in the early to mid 60's with CVG-16, which had the "AH" tailcode from 62-68. The A-4's were "B" models until 65 when they got the "E", so you will have to close eyes a bit and dream... I will upload those repaints today.
Also, if anyone is interested, I have repaints for the Virtavia A-3 FSX portover - VAH-4 (early 60's - ZB), VAH-2 (NL), VAH-6 (NG), VAH-10 (NK), VAH-13 (NH), and VAH-123 (NJ).

Bone
April 20th, 2013, 08:47
The paints would be great to have, navy81. The A -4 as well as the whale.

fsafranek
April 20th, 2013, 10:21
I have also taken the fantastic virtavia skyhawk, and tried a few repaints - VA-163 Saints and VA-164 Ghostriders from back in the early to mid 60's with CVG-16, which had the "AH" tailcode from 62-68. The A-4's were "B" models until 65 when they got the "E", so you will have to close eyes a bit and dream... I will upload those repaints today.

Also, if anyone is interested, I have repaints for the Virtavia A-3 FSX portover - VAH-4 (early 60's - ZB), VAH-2 (NL), VAH-6 (NG), VAH-10 (NK), VAH-13 (NH), and VAH-123 (NJ).

Yes, please! Nice images BTW!
:ernae:

Warhawk1130
April 20th, 2013, 10:32
Way back in 1973, I was with a ACLS certification det from NATC Patuxent River onboard the USS Kitty Hawk, which was berthed at NAVSTA North Island, CA. Berthed immediately aft of the Kitty was the USS Shangri-La, and the USS Oriskany. The Shang had already been decomissioned, and was awaiting being sent to the Reserve Fleet.

Memories:salute:

NC

I met up with the shangrila in philly in 1987...just finished our world cruise on...ironically....the kitty hawk. She was right in front of us. A few months later she was towed away for the scrap yard :(

delta_lima
April 20th, 2013, 10:58

One word: Provide! :icon_lol:

Seriously - any A-3 paints are very welcome!!

Cheers,

DL

ST0RM
April 20th, 2013, 11:25
The more I land on the "O", the more I think of how good it would be for a training CV for the vMil I fly with. Repaint the Scooters on deck white and orange or course.

Lovin' it.

-Jeff

EDIT: Looked a bit harder at those crash points near the arresting wires. They appear approx. 5 feet in front of each wire (all 4). I was in the Virtavia UH-60 and just taxied forward and at a slow taxi, it stopped and knocked me back. Hope that narrows down the search.

gp183601
April 20th, 2013, 12:13
EDIT: Looked a bit harder at those crash points near the arresting wires. They appear approx. 5 feet in front of each wire (all 4). I was in the Virtavia UH-60 and just taxied forward and at a slow taxi, it stopped and knocked me back. Hope that narrows down the search.

Thanks for the HU! It's as I suspected it's the way i've modeled the arrestor polys in relation to the hardened deck platform. A lot of this is trial and error for me as my Invincible class didn't need any protruding objects just a flat deck surface.

Curious to know how other developers model the arrestor polys in relation to the hardened deck surface....

ATB
G

mjrhealth
April 20th, 2013, 13:21
I still thinks you should talk to the guys from RFN

http://royalefrenchnavy.perso.sfr.fr/

Take a look at there latest CDG. I am sure that can help. They have the best carriers out there. There tacan gauge allows operation of planes with different weights even for arresting and cat shots. It could olnly make this carrier better. Just ask.

SkippyBing
April 20th, 2013, 13:35
Curious to know how other developers model the arrestor polys in relation to the hardened deck surface....

Oddly never had a problem with it, the attach point for the hard deck over rides any crash boxes within a certain distance. I think it's only really a problem if you have an object whose centre is further away from the platform than the over ride but is big enough to cross into the deck area. To be honest it's often easiest to apply a No Crash attach point to everything bar the hull and island.
And then go back and reapply all the other attach points you've accidentally over written...

gp183601
April 20th, 2013, 13:45
I still thinks you should talk to the guys from RFN

http://royalefrenchnavy.perso.sfr.fr/

Take a look at there latest CDG. I am sure that can help. They have the best carriers out there. There tacan gauge allows operation of planes with different weights even for arresting and cat shots. It could olnly make this carrier better. Just ask.

CDG currently has the same problem I do - a rogue object, namely a crash on deck which requires "detect crashes and damage" feature to be turned off in FSX settings. The TACAN guage will not fix that and this is what i'm being asked to correct. I am also not trying to replicate a carrier to that level....this is a sketchup model created by someone else which I volunteered to bring into FSX at the request of some members of this forum, not a full blown 3DS max model create from scratch.

There are lots which could bring this model up to an RFN/Javier level, but this is not my intention as RN ships are more my thing and I have HMS QE, CVA-01, and HMS Hermes at various stages of development that I want to get finished so I can have my fun :)

Cheers
Gary

gp183601
April 20th, 2013, 13:46
To be honest it's often easiest to apply a No Crash attach point to everything bar the hull and island.
And then go back and reapply all the other attach points you've accidentally over written...

I don't think you can perform that sort of operation in MCX Skippy, but i'll look into it.

Cheers
Gary

navy81
April 20th, 2013, 17:41
Gary,
She really looks great!
Attached are a couple of screenshots. I have to tell you that the 4 wire on the Oriskany is about where the 1 wire is on the Nimitz and Ike, so not a lot of room for error! But that is really accurate.
If someone can work some animations - catapult bridle, JBD's, etc, and perhaps some "shooters" and green, blue and red shirts on the deck for a MUCH later release, that would be awesome - though just more eye candy.

Thanks so much for contributing your valuable time in this great undertaking.

Looking forward to "Tilly" and the continued prospects for what is already a fantastic work of art.
Cheers.
Deke (Navy81)

jjdc
April 21st, 2013, 22:55
Thank you for the Oriskany. Great fun to use as well as being a challenge. Might be nothing to do with your model but I keep getting vertical white wakes going up several thousand feet at the bow and stern. It is like a private fog bank and makes seeing "mother" difficult. As I dont see the same in other screen shots is there a cure?

Many thanks

J

fxsttcb
April 22nd, 2013, 05:44
Thank you for the Oriskany. Great fun to use as well as being a challenge. Might be nothing to do with your model but I keep getting vertical white wakes going up several thousand feet at the bow and stern. It is like a private fog bank and makes seeing "mother" difficult. As I dont see the same in other screen shots is there a cure?

Many thanks

JI've seen this one before. It seems it is caused by the FS9 version of fx_wake_l.fx overwriting the FSX file. That happens when you allow an add-on to replace the original.
Grab the file from your original back-up. You do have one don't you? If not, all is not lost. A kind soul has posted the fix here: http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?243085-Problem-with-ship-wakes&p=1756818#post1756818 ...Don

navy81
April 22nd, 2013, 08:43
Beta testing going well Gary - this is quite challenging to say the least (getting aboard that is, without gyrating all over the place)
Just pointing out a new issue, that may or may not be adjustable?

Evening/night traps - the angled deck lighting extends about 20 yards beyond the angle. (See last screenshot)
Still having a blast though, so please do not take this as critique - it is not. Thank you for the significant effort and time you have put into this.:jump:

I am in the process of (slowly) creating re-paints for CVG-16 (CAG-16) from the early - to - mid 60's to go along with her.
Once i finish the group, i will post either individually for all, or as a package (multi-pack).
VF-161 - F-3H-2 Demon (complete), aircraft by Virtavia
VAH-4 Det G - A-3B Skywarrior (complete - 4 textures), aircraft by Virtavia
VA-163 - A-4E (complete - 2 textures), aircraft by Virtavia
VA-164 - A-4E (complete - 2 textures), aircraft by Virtavia
VAW-11 - E-1B (complete), freeware aircraft available in downloads section
VF-162 or VMFA-232 (starting soon), freeware aircraft from Virtavia. May try the Rollus version as well
VA-165 - AD-6 (last to go after the Crusader), freeware aircraft from Tim "Piglet" Conrad.

FSX68
April 22nd, 2013, 09:52
Beta testing going well Gary - this is quite challenging to say the least (getting aboard that is, without gyrating all over the place)
Just pointing out a new issue, that may or may not be adjustable?

Evening/night traps - the angled deck lighting extends about 20 yards beyond the angle. (See last screenshot)
Still having a blast though, so please do not take this as critique - it is not. Thank you for the significant effort and time you have put into this.:jump:

I am in the process of (slowly) creating re-paints for CVG-16 (CAG-16) from the early - to - mid 60's to go along with her.
Once i finish the group, i will post either individually for all, or as a package (multi-pack).
VF-161 - F-3H-2 Demon (complete), aircraft by Virtavia
VAH-4 Det G - A-3B Skywarrior (complete - 4 textures), aircraft by Virtavia
VA-163 - A-4E (complete - 2 textures), aircraft by Virtavia
VA-164 - A-4E (complete - 2 textures), aircraft by Virtavia
VAW-11 - E-1B (complete), freeware aircraft available in downloads section
VF-162 or VMFA-232 (starting soon), freeware aircraft from Virtavia. May try the Rollus version as well
VA-165 - AD-6 (last to go after the Crusader), freeware aircraft from Tim "Piglet" Conrad.

Here is a link to the composition of the aircraft that was CAG-16 in the 1965-66 time period. (A list of the O boats cruise books by year.)
Now as far as helo's go back then you will notice that HC-1 (UH-2A/B)was embarked. If you click on the cruise books
there are a lot of nice photo/memories of the people/aircraft of that period. I remember the wooden flight deck
and when I was arming the F-8 20MM Gun systems, they deck launched the A1H(spads) and prop wash would blow wood splinters
on my red (ordie) flight deck jersey. HC1 switched over to the H3 during their 72 cruise.

http://navysite.de/cv/cv34deploy.htm

fxsttcb
April 22nd, 2013, 11:19
Glad to see so many of us working on this stuff. :salute:

I've got the '65 cruise VMF(AW)-212 Lancers paint going(WIP), for the AS F-8.
I've also been working on a new panel and gauges for that plane.

During some of my testing I wanted to be able to find the Big "O" from a long distance. RFN to the rescue!
I added it to the RFN Carrier v4.0 gauge package "RFN_Carrier.xml", giving it it's own frequency, 114.50, and placing it between "Victorious 1944", and "USS Enterprise CVN65 (82-83 cruise)" for consistancy.
I didn't have a clue if I was going to get it to work, but, "ya gotta at least try", I said to myself. A few edits later(Dialing in the ILS points), Viola! It worked, so, I thought I'd share the code here:

<carrier Name="USS Oriskany CVA34"
***Carrier Name="USS Oriskany CVA34"
Sim_Name="USS_Oriskany"
CarrierType="1"
Frequency="114.50"
Language="US"
RunwayAngle="9.793"
GS_Angle="3.99"
ILS_Xcoord="-2.45"
ILS_Ycoord="17.2"
ILS_Zcoord="-98.895"
TCN_Xcoord="7.65"
TCN_Ycoord="66.45"
TCN_Zcoord="0.10"
Sim_Name_Helo="none"
Helo_Bearing="0"
Helo_Distance="0"/><carrier Name="USS Oriskany CVA34"

Edit:
Replace the *** before Carrier Name with <
Fourth attempt to get the code to show correctly did not work. Wrapping it in code brackets results in a blank field. Odd!

One Wave-off, Two #2 Wires, and One #3, today. I'm getting better with the AS F-8 every day, and having a downright blast!

Gotta Thank Gary, and, the RFN team, for the superb work they've done to enhance our Naval Aviation endeavors. Hat's Off, Gentlemen. :salute: ...Don</carrier></carrier></carrier></carrier></carrier></carrier></carrier></carrier>

gp183601
April 22nd, 2013, 11:32
Still having a blast though, so please do not take this as critique - it is not. Thank you for the significant effort and time you have put into this.

No problem - it's a relevant critique. This problem comes down to the meatball positioning issue (because when using default acceleration attachpts it is automatically positioned halfway between attachpt_runway_start and attachpt_runway_end). Originally I had the attachpt_runway_end at the end of the deck but that placed the meatball further aft. I moved the attachpt further out past the end of the deck and that moves the meatball fwd but then extends the deck lighting.

It's kind of a catch 22 of using the default acceleration attachpts. Move the defined runway start and end points and the meatball winds up in the correct position but the lighting is incorrect. Leave the runway start and end points at the right area and the meatball ends up in the wrong position.

Tilly crane progressing should have it in the model in a few days

Cheers
G

Ian Warren
April 22nd, 2013, 11:45
Ive tied up with few things, should be able to adjust the A4 paint and get across you for the next release :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

fsafranek
April 22nd, 2013, 13:44
Thanks for the code above. I made an entry for the Oriskany while testing the gauge
but didn't know how to come up with the ILS and TCN coords. Was told to use MCX.
But this will speed things up a bit.
:ernae:

gp183601
April 22nd, 2013, 13:59
Just wanted to say thank you all for your support, encouragement and feedback. All the feedback on this forum has been positive critique in making the model as good as it can be (within the limitations of my abilities). Sometimes my replies to feedback have maybe been rather short and to the point but this is more to do with my limited availability to reply than any offence I have taken (juggling work, kids, house repair list from the wife etc etc - the same as all of us). :icon_lol:

Unlike my invincible class I am not making this model for myself (ill probably hardly use it) but for the community on this site who asked for this model to be brought to life. I can't promise I can fix every problem and add every request but ill do my best... It's your model folks so keep the feedback coming and if you think of a better way of doing something or you'd like to contribute in adding something to the model - lets hear it!!

To all the folks who have contributed models, textures and repaints - a special thank you...keep it up!! :applause:

As an aside (and I'm conscious of not increase frame rates) - what did the Essex class do for life rafts? The Alaskan highways are pretty barren wanted to add some detail.

Cheers
Gary

navy81
April 22nd, 2013, 14:24
Here is a link to the composition of the aircraft that was CAG-16 in the 1965-66 time period. (A list of the O boats cruise books by year.)
Now as far as helo's go back then you will notice that HC-1 (UH-2A/B)was embarked. If you click on the cruise books
there are a lot of nice photo/memories of the people/aircraft of that period. I remember the wooden flight deck
and when I was arming the GF-8 Gun systems they deck launched the A1H(spads) and prop wash would blow wood splinters
on my red (ordie) flight deck jersey. HC1 switched over to the H3 during their 72 cruise.

http://navysite.de/cv/cv34deploy.htm

That is a great site - i have been there often recently as it was provided to me by a good friend.
I am mostly using the '62 cruise for my work as my father was the Officer in charge of the heavy attack detachment (VAH-4 Det G). The Crusader squadron for that cruise was VMFA-232, but that may take a bit more work than doing the "Hunters" of VF-162.
That cruise they had the old "HU-2P" helo - picked up the Sea Sprite a year or three later.

Gary, again, I thank you for the great work, and that of everyone here.
As an aside, I did note that there were also Forrestal class and Kitty Hawk, designs on the 3D warehouse site as sketch-ups.
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=ffccd49de3792f4ca0cadad4ae9c9c4&prevstart=0 (Forrestal)
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=8aacd0f973114c1b53d9199581d0f4b4&prevstart=0 (Kitty Hawk)
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=5b8edc3b9238ab765b50b4451364cc2c&prevstart=0 (Midway)

If I had the skills....

gp183601
April 22nd, 2013, 14:37
Gary, again, I thank you for the great work, and that of everyone here.
As an aside, I did note that there were also Forrestal class and Kitty Hawk, designs on the 3D warehouse site as sketch-ups.
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=ffccd49de3792f4ca0cadad4ae9c9c4&prevstart=0 (Forrestal)
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=8aacd0f973114c1b53d9199581d0f4b4&prevstart=0 (Kitty Hawk)
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=5b8edc3b9238ab765b50b4451364cc2c&prevstart=0 (Midway)

If I had the skills....

I did notice that and I'm an F-4 nut so would love to do Forrestal...see how we get on with Oriskany might pick that one up (unless someone else does) after HMS Queen Elizabeth
Got some static F-4s and A-7s that would look good on deck

expat
April 23rd, 2013, 01:38
Just back from a week's business trip to D.C. and downloaded the Oriskany yesterday. With the discussion in the last ten or so posts, this project has now entered a whole higher level of "cool"! Hats off to all the good work on this and add on refinements, e.g. forthcoming historic repaints, Don's panel for the F8U and also using the RFN v4 TACAN gauge with what has instantly become my favorite carrier in FSX. There is something about the Essex class . . A Forrestal from the same great period to trap Phantoms would be too good to be true!

Thanks for all this enjoyment.:cost1:

expat
April 23rd, 2013, 01:42
Question: in the screenshots how are you managing to get more than one flyable on the deck (Demon, E-1B, etc)?

Leads me to think about - as we probably will never see the holy grail of working AI on a moving cv in FSX - if it would be possible also to covert the Oriskany to a fixed scenery bgl that people could then make AFCADs for and run AI on and off?

fxsttcb
April 23rd, 2013, 03:27
It's kind of a catch 22 of using the default acceleration attachpts. Move the defined runway start and end points and the meatball winds up in the correct position but the lighting is incorrect. Leave the runway start and end points at the right area and the meatball ends up in the wrong position.

Tilly crane progressing should have it in the model in a few days

Cheers
GIf you have to choose, I vote for the meatball! I can live with the lights extending beyond the deck.
Hopefully, I will not need "Tilly", but, I'm looking forward to having her on "Standby". lol
Again, Many Thanks, Gary.

navy81
April 23rd, 2013, 03:48
Question: in the screenshots how are you managing to get more than one flyable on the deck (Demon, E-1B, etc)?

Leads me to think about - as we probably will never see the holy grail of working AI on a moving cv in FSX - if it would be possible also to covert the Oriskany to a fixed scenery bgl that people could then make AFCADs for and run AI on and off?

Actually, I am just using FS recorder, and setting the Oriskany at a waypoint (off of southern California). Since all of the replayed flights via FS recorder sync themselves, i just start the Carrier going forward at the same designated time. It's alot of work (have to do a number of flights over and over), but makes good screenshots and videos where lack of relevant (time wise) aircraft may be on deck as static aircraft...

Rando
April 24th, 2013, 15:21
Hi Guys,

I am very interested in what you guys are doing and just discovered this thread.

I am working on a Flight Simulator for the Topeka, Kansas..... Combat Air Museum, using FSX.

We have a large 6 foot model of the Oriskany that some of the guys have been working on for some time.

http://www.combatairmuseum.org/exhibits/ussoriskany.html

I am wanting to get the Oriskany for FSX to go along with the model that we are working on but I can not figure out where the download is that you guys are talking about. I have looked for a link in the forum and don't find one. I have looked for a download in the Add-Ons Library and don't find one there either.

I would love to download it and check it out.

Thanks for any help.

Randy

delta_lima
April 24th, 2013, 15:44
Hi Guys,

I am very interested in what you guys are doing and just discovered this thread.

I am working on a Flight Simulator for the Topeka, Kansas..... Combat Air Museum, using FSX.

We have a large 6 foot model of the Oriskany that some of the guys have been working on for some time.

http://www.combatairmuseum.org/exhibits/ussoriskany.html

I am wanting to get the Oriskany for FSX to go along with the model that we are working on but I can not figure out where the download is that you guys are talking about. I have looked for a link in the forum and don't find one. I have looked for a download in the Add-Ons Library and don't find one there either.

I would love to download it and check it out.

Thanks for any help.

Randy

Bear in mind it's still in beta, and Gary is being very kind in allowing it in what I assume to be "limited circulation" - it's mentioned in post #109 of this very thread:

It's been a while since i've posted on this thread but the Oriskany model is not dead....Just causing lots of problems!!
Much like the RFNs Charles De Gaulle package, the Oriskany mdl is giving me all sorts of grief cleaning up the deck to be able to fly with crash detection ON. I've found loads of anomalous objects in the sketchup model and I'm still tracking the ones that generate crash on deck in and around the arrestor cables when testing in FSX. It's a slow process but i'm essentially back to the drawing board with the model

However, given all these Crusaders and Skyhawks flying about on here - I thought i'd upload Oriskany as is for anyone wishing to use her. She's perfectly useable in FSX provided you turn crash detection OFF in FSX -> settings.

The arrestor cables and catapults work fine, the only other minor problem is the meatball isn't where it should be (alignment issue)

So if any of you are happy to put up with these glitches then the zip is attached

In the meantime i'm still working on redoing the mdl to remove object crashes, add deck crew and some low poly crusaders, and generally redo some of the texturing.

ATB
Gary

Best regards, and welcome to the board!

DL

Rando
April 24th, 2013, 16:39
Thanks a bunch....I guess I missed the post.

I will be following the progress very close.

gp183601
April 25th, 2013, 06:44
Thanks a bunch....I guess I missed the post.

I will be following the progress very close.

As DL iterated I haven't posted it in a general release area as it's still in development and I'm ironing out the bugs as well as adding some more eye candy to the deck.
Spookily enough I used some of the model images from your website as a reference for the changes I made to the FSX model!!

Cheers
G

Rando
April 26th, 2013, 04:33
As DL iterated I haven't posted it in a general release area as it's still in development and I'm ironing out the bugs as well as adding some more eye candy to the deck.
Spookily enough I used some of the model images from your website as a reference for the changes I made to the FSX model!!

Cheers
G

Well I am glad I decided to try and find some info on the Oriskany for FSX. Glad we could help each other.

Thanks for all your work on this. The guys at the Museum are loving it.

Here is what our simulator looks like at this point....keep in mind....Low budget Simulator....right??

How do like our wallpaper??

King 6952
May 12th, 2013, 13:25
Gary,
Us guys over at FSXCarrierOps have been looking forward to getting our hands on this one! Thank you for taking the time to put it together!

We'd be happy to offer our services helping you get this ready for release. We have a bunch of skilled tailhookers and several of us have assisted on other FSX carrier projects, including Virtual LSO, Blue Angels F-18 Hornet, Tac- Pack, and others. Just let us know what you need us to do.

Best,
-Rusty Rabbit
www.fsxcarrierops.com
"flaring to land is like squatting to pee"

King 6952
May 12th, 2013, 16:02
Okay... I've just run 5 passes on the Oriskany with Tac-Pack crash detect enabled using the FRN Crusader and haven't had any crashes.

The first 3 passes were at landing weight and the next 2 were full or near full fuel.
-Rabbit

King 6952
May 13th, 2013, 13:53
Just thought I'd post some screen-caps of a trip around the spin.
Is anybody else getting those odd wake effects?

http://www.fsxcarrierops.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=14787917

Navy Chief
May 13th, 2013, 14:04
Just thought I'd post some screen-caps of a trip around the spin.
Is anybody else getting those odd wake effects?

http://www.fsxcarrierops.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=14787917

Being curious....what is odd about them? NC

gp183601
May 13th, 2013, 14:16
Gary,
Us guys over at FSXCarrierOps have been looking forward to getting our hands on this one! Thank you for taking the time to put it together!

We'd be happy to offer our services helping you get this ready for release.

Thanks I might take you up on that offer for the next release. Added a Tilly crane (low poly to keep frame rates down) and i've been reworking some of the hull (addition of an LSO platform, reworking some of the catwalks)...also trying to put together some flight deck crew to make the deck look "busier". Toying with the idea of re-working some of the textures too. It'll never be in the same league as CDG or Nimitz but i'll try my best.

ATB
Gary

King 6952
May 13th, 2013, 15:03
Thanks I might take you up on that offer for the next release. Added a Tilly crane (low poly to keep frame rates down) and i've been reworking some of the hull (addition of an LSO platform, reworking some of the catwalks)...also trying to put together some flight deck crew to make the deck look "busier". Toying with the idea of re-working some of the textures too. It'll never be in the same league as CDG or Nimitz but i'll try my best.

ATB
Gary

It doesn't need to be in the same league with those carriers. It fills a gap in the timeline that needs to be filled. Thanks again for putting so much time and effort into a project you didn't even particularly want. It's really above and beyond!

Chief,
I was going to describe it, but picture/ words ratio...:icon_lol:

It's like the wake is a higher priority than the hull, so the hull appears transparent from certain angles/ distances.

By the by, I just wanted to exhume the earlier discussion about whales vs. rhinos on the Essex boats and weigh in; I think the difference was kinetic energy. While the A3D weighed a little more than the F4H, the Phantom trapped at much higher speed. Since kinetic energy is directly proportional to mass but proportional to the square of the velocity, my math says the Rhino was bringing nearly twice the heat of the Whale.
Probably just too much strain on the gear.

Best,
-Rabbit

Navy Chief
May 13th, 2013, 15:20
Chief,
I was going to describe it, but picture/ words ratio...:icon_lol:

-Rabbit

Hi Rabbit,

Now I see what you were referring to. I had been looking at the screenshot on a Ipad. Difficult to see the wake line on the hull. NC

Ian Warren
May 13th, 2013, 15:33
Gary , Tilly looks great , hav'nt had a chance to adjust the A4s yet .. that really adds to it :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

navy81
May 14th, 2013, 08:43

ATB
Gary

Gary, I echo what Rabbit and Ian said! Fantastic work on this and it only gets better. Thank you.
I have been slammed with work and am late on providing CVG-16 repaints for the Virtavia Demon, Virtavia Skywarrior, Virtavia Skyhawk, and the Rollus Crusader, plus a VFP-63 repaint of the Rollus Crusader using the Crusader-US-Drone model. I'll get those loaded today. Meanwhile, I have a short video teaser (about 6 minutes for all to enjoy - but it is very basic, so be kind!) Will get the link up as soon as I can.

Deke (Navy81)

fxsttcb
May 14th, 2013, 09:21
...Added a Tilly crane (low poly to keep frame rates down) and i've been reworking some of the hull (addition of an LSO platform, reworking some of the catwalks)...also trying to put together some flight deck crew to make the deck look "busier". Toying with the idea of re-working some of the textures too. It'll never be in the same league as CDG or Nimitz but i'll try my best.

GaryIt's just getting better and better!

navy81
May 14th, 2013, 10:15
It's just getting better and better!

Now that's a memorable video!

Here is my (shortly longer) video. Be gentle...:salute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzuX9Du8SBo&feature=youtu.be

expat
May 14th, 2013, 14:21
A few edits later(Dialing in the ILS points), Viola! It worked, so, I thought I'd share the code here:

<CARRIER
<CARRIER
<CARRIER
***Carrier Name="USS Oriskany CVA34"
Sim_Name="USS_Oriskany"
CarrierType="1"
Frequency="114.50"
Language="US"
RunwayAngle="9.793"
GS_Angle="3.99"
ILS_Xcoord="-2.45"
ILS_Ycoord="17.2"
ILS_Zcoord="-98.895"
TCN_Xcoord="7.65"
TCN_Ycoord="66.45"
TCN_Zcoord="0.10"
Sim_Name_Helo="none"
Helo_Bearing="0"
Helo_Distance="0"/><CARRIER
<CARRIER
<CARRIER
<CARRIER
<CARRIER

Edit:
Replace the *** before Carrier Name with <
Fourth attempt to get the code to show correctly

Don,

For some reason I cannot open the xml with the XML Editor - would it be possible to post yours with the working entries for the Oriskany to work with the RFN gauges?

Thanks,

expat

Sindhu
May 14th, 2013, 17:47

Great video, sir. :salute:

navy81
May 14th, 2013, 18:10
Don,

For some reason I cannot open the xml with the XML Editor - would it be possible to post yours with the working entries for the Oriskany to work with the RFN gauges?

Thanks,

expat

You can open it in notepad just fine from Program files x86/Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator/Gauges/RFN Carrier, can you try that?
As was mentioned before, just maintain the structure of the xml and save it. Here is my code from the gauges file of your main FSX folder. I placed this directly under the existing line :<Carrier Name="Victorious 1944". Be certain to maintain the quotations. xml editor is not working for me anymore, but notepad (right click on RFN gauges and select "open with") works fine.

<Carrier Name="USS Oriskany CVA34"
Sim_Name="USS_Oriskany"
CarrierType="1"
Frequency="114.50"
Language="US"
RunwayAngle="9.793"
GS_Angle="3.99"
ILS_Xcoord="-2.45"
ILS_Ycoord="17.2"
ILS_Zcoord="-98.895"
TCN_Xcoord="7.65"
TCN_Ycoord="66.45"
TCN_Zcoord="0.10"
Sim_Name_Helo="none"
Helo_Bearing="0"
Helo_Distance="0"/>

expat
May 14th, 2013, 22:41
Notepad - of course! Funny the XML editor won't work but good old notepad . .

Anyway, I have installed it - many thanks!

fxsttcb
May 15th, 2013, 04:30
Don,

Thanks,

expatAccording to my XML2007 error report, the comments don't meet XML's criteria.
The comment cannot contain any "-" or "--" within the body of the comment.
In the general code itself, two LFTH Hyères runways use "è" which is an illegal character.
Fix those in notepad, and it works properly with an XML editor...Don <carrier Name="Hyeres Runway 31 (ex 32)" <="" strong=""><carrier Name="Hyeres Runway 23" <="" strong=""></carrier></carrier>

expat
May 15th, 2013, 08:23
Shifting topics - I am finding trapping on the "O" extremely "challenging"! And this is with crash detection turned off.

I can usually catch a wire with Piglet's A-1.

It is still hit or miss for me in the AS Crusader. The Virtavia Scooter score rate is slightly better.

The AS Whale. Jeesh!! No matter how many adjustments I make the plane seems to bounce almost straight up after touching the deck no matter how dainty I make it and balloon out over the bow. I also hear the sound of people screaming like on a rollercoaster. LOL!! Where did that come from?? It is clear to me that the sim - notwithstanding crash detection being off - is REJECTING my landings, in other words they are crashes, except the sim keeps going. It could be I have a tweaked or "advanced" FDE and I should roll back to the default FDE as a cheat. I find the Skywarrior very difficult to flare - it wants to then keep flying even at stall speed - so I suspect the problem is I am hitting the nosewheel before the mains . .

Intrigued to hear others' share their carrier trials.

Very cool ship. Mentioned above, the early sixties saw up to six different varieties of aircraft on this compact carrier - also available in FSX - e.g. A-1, A-3, A-4, FH-3, F-8 and E-1B. That was a truly great period.

Navy Chief
May 15th, 2013, 09:10
Ok, this "teasing" is maddening! Talk about a carrot in front of a horse!

When do us "non-beta testers" possibly get to do our own carrier ops on the "Mighty "O"?

NC

Sindhu
May 15th, 2013, 09:33

Trojan isn't bad for Oriskany too:jump:

ST0RM
May 15th, 2013, 09:47
Ok, this "teasing" is maddening! Talk about a carrot in front of a horse!

When do us "non-beta testers" possibly get to do our own carrier ops on the "Mighty "O"?

NC

Page 8 of this thread had the link that many of us are using until another is released.

Jeff

Navy Chief
May 15th, 2013, 11:31
Page 8 of this thread had the link that many of us are using until another is released.

Jeff

Thank you!:salute:

NC

gp183601
May 15th, 2013, 13:12

Awesome vid!
If ever there was a motivation for me to continue developing this model its seeing pics and vids of you guys getting enjoyment out of it!

work on the deck crew and retexturing, as well as bug fixing continues...off on my travels with work but will post some pics of the latest version in progress shortly.

started tinkering with Forrestal too but one thing at a time... :)

ATB
Gary

King 6952
May 15th, 2013, 13:37
Shifting topics - I am finding trapping on the "O" extremely "challenging"! And this is with crash detection turned off.

It is still hit or miss for me in the AS Crusader. The Virtavia Scooter score rate is slightly better.

The AS Whale. Jeesh!! No matter how many adjustments I make the plane seems to bounce almost straight up after touching the deck no matter how dainty I make it and balloon out over the bow. I also hear the sound of people screaming like on a rollercoaster. LOL!! Where did that come from?? It is clear to me that the sim - notwithstanding crash detection being off - is REJECTING my landings, in other words they are crashes, except the sim keeps going. It could be I have a tweaked or "advanced" FDE and I should roll back to the default FDE as a cheat. I find the Skywarrior very difficult to flare - it wants to then keep flying even at stall speed - so I suspect the problem is I am hitting the nosewheel before the mains . .

Very cool ship. Mentioned above, the early sixties saw up to six different varieties of aircraft on this compact carrier - also available in FSX - e.g. A-1, A-3, A-4, FH-3, F-8 and E-1B. That was a truly great period.

expat,
I suspect you're coming in too fast. on-speed should be 85-90KIAS depending on weight. I have some known bugs 'n' fixes for that aircraft here: http://www.fsxcarrierops.com/modsaircraft.htm
Best,
-Rusty Rabbit
"Flaring to land is like squatting to pee"

expat
May 16th, 2013, 02:54
on-speed should be 85-90KIAS depending on weight.

Suspect that could be it - I am over the ramp at about 118 KIAS. Will give it a go. Thanks!

Navy Chief
May 16th, 2013, 03:49
Definitely a challenge, landing on the "O". I tried three times, unsuccessfully last night. A-4 and T-28. Came close with the Trojan, but landed too fast, and ended up swimming..... NC

navy81
May 16th, 2013, 06:14
Awesome vid!
If ever there was a motivation for me to continue developing this model its seeing pics and vids of you guys getting enjoyment out of it!

work on the deck crew and retexturing, as well as bug fixing continues...off on my travels with work but will post some pics of the latest version in progress shortly.

started tinkering with Forrestal too but one thing at a time... :)

ATB
Gary

Gary,
Your work is fantastic, and the cooperation of everyone who has an interest in bringing Oriskany to life will make this long needed addition even better. Thanks for taking your valauble time in seeing this through - and that goes for Forrestal for the future!
Cheers!
Deke

navy81
May 16th, 2013, 10:54

Expat,
it is difficult! The whale, definitely, and my line-up is all over the place... scan, scan, scan! Meatball, AOA, line-up...
I found myself bouncing all over the place in the Spad too.
One more short video - kind of a tribute to my dad who was a Whale driver back in the 60's... Did this one in black and white. Apparently, Germany won't allow it to be seen because of the music i have embedded....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFP8n1B0Ep8

expat
May 16th, 2013, 13:26
Liked the video!!

Don't like that you can trap the Whale and I cannot!

Ian Warren
May 16th, 2013, 13:34
Great little movie Navy81 , I really did like the bolter looking from the bows between the Crusaders ... Brilliant :cool: ... one thing that caught my attention was the Skyraider ... that was extra COOL :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

fxsttcb
May 18th, 2013, 05:11
Great little movie Navy81 , I really did like the bolter looking from the bows between the Crusaders ... Brilliant :cool: ... one thing that caught my attention was the Skyraider ... that was extra COOL :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input id="jsProxy" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" type="hidden" jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()">My thoughts exactly!

Can anyone ID the font on the COD's tail?...Don

gaucho_59
May 18th, 2013, 06:30
My thoughts exactly!

Can anyone ID the font on the COD's tail?...Don

The term "font" comes from the printer's lexicon going back decades if not centuries...
Before Windows hardly anyone outside the business used it...
Now, if you are trying to reproduce it for a repaint... to my knowledge... the US Navy of
the reference picture I don't think you will find it in any list of fonts... for the original lettering
on Navy aircraft and ships was simply called "block lettering" with mitered corners inside and
outside which was used semi-standardized until the early sixties... (not all assets were the
same because they were hand or spray painted by different people in different units, and some
were made into giant size decalcomanias (decals for short) fairly standardized).
In the late sixties this type of lettering was replaced (for quite a while) by a similar type with
inside corners not mitered. .
No need for great painting skills... just keep the general proportions starting with an "O"...
miter the corners a bit less (from the standard 45 degrees to maybe 30 or so)
from the O you can fashion R, C, Q, P, etc. by adding or deleting parts...
If you are using Photoshop, PSP, etc. make yourself a template with a transparent background
you can use for all occasions... if you are industrious enough and lazy (like I am) do different sizes
- but being such simple shapes... re-sizing bring little detail loss - and voila' you got lettering for
almost any occasion.
ps: The Eurostile font approximates it but it is really an [I]ersatz thing - sort of like diet
drinks... if you want the real taste...:mixedsmi: get the real thing...:running::running::running: no Diet Coke comes close to the original....

For any further tutorials just PM me is this if of help

fxsttcb
May 18th, 2013, 06:51
Thanks, but, I have the Fonts/Templates for Army/Navy/Marine Corps/USAF "type".
I should have been more precise in my query! I'm looking for the stylized font used for "USS Oriskany" or something close...Don

King 6952
May 18th, 2013, 06:56
If you're talking about the medeival gothic font that says "USS Oriskany", it looks like "Old London" to me.
http://image.naldzgraphics.net/2012/02/19-old-london.jpg

gaucho_59
May 18th, 2013, 07:12
:wiggle:
Thanks, but, I have the Fonts/Templates for Army/Navy/Marine Corps/USAF "type".
I should have been more precise in my query! I'm looking for the stylized font used for "USS Oriskany" or something close...Don

Whatever happened to the neat little menu that used to come up when you upload images?
The one showing what one has on file at SOH... so you can upload them to a message without
going back to your computer archives... Also, how can one upload a larger image beyond the
resizing to 1024 by 768 (or whatever) allowable by the upload program...
I've seen very large images on the forum... but never learned how to do it...
Anybody else's help welcome...

King 6952
May 18th, 2013, 08:18
FWIW, the collision points appear to be directly overhead the cables themselves, approximately 20' above the deck.

Best,
-Rusty Rabbit

fxsttcb
May 18th, 2013, 08:27
If you're talking about the medeival gothic font that says "USS Oriskany", it looks like "Old London" to me.Thank you! That is about as close as I've found.
I'm pretty sure the COD's paint shop did it freehand, but, there is no way I could do it. Well, maybe a couple of days per hand drawn letter.

I've seen very large images on the forum... but never learned how to do it...Probably a link to Image Shack/Photobucket etc. I think the forum software then scales them to fit the page...Don

King 6952
May 18th, 2013, 09:31
I've been exploring around the collision area and I think I have it mapped out precisely:
There are 4 collision zones, each directly above the individual cables.
Length of the zones is concurrent with the diameter of the cables. Width is concurrent with the pendants themselves, but does not extend to the capstans. Height is from 0' on the deck to 38' above it.

My conclusion is that the file containing the deck pendants themselves is causing the problem. The "background" of that file appears to be registering as a collision zone.

HTHs
-Rusty Rabbit

Sindhu
May 19th, 2013, 10:28
I just found this.... http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:E-1B_of_VAW-11_on_cat_of_USS_Oriskany_%28CVA-34%29_1962.jpg

navy81
May 21st, 2013, 05:05
I just found this.... http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:E-1B_of_VAW-11_on_cat_of_USS_Oriskany_%28CVA-34%29_1962.jpg

I made the repaint for the E-1B in the VAW-11 "Early Eleven" textures, and will upload to the Add-ons library for anyone who wants to use it with Gary's Oriskany.

Sindhu
May 21st, 2013, 07:59
I made the repaint for the E-1B in the VAW-11 "Early Eleven" textures, and will upload to the Add-ons library for anyone who wants to use it with Gary's Oriskany.

Great,sir. that's the one I want. Thank you very much :salute:

Ian Warren
May 21st, 2013, 13:18
Looks superb Deke , this aircraft could not have come out at a better time , Milton and his teams Tracker series is ideally suited to the big "O":salute:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Sindhu
May 21st, 2013, 19:55
These might be useful for the repainters....

F-8J http://www.bravobravoaviation.com/english/Prints/F-8%20Crusader/GM-065%20-%20US,%20F-8J%20150662,%20VF-194,%201975.htm

http://www.hyperscale.com/images/NATSSheet%202.jpg

http://media.hannants.co.uk/pics/AMD48568_1.jpg

VA-152

http://obchod.valka.cz/images/ZTZ32049.jpg

http://images.auctionhelper.com/images/10343//Zotz/Zotz32049b.jpg

I'm not sure what is this ... http://www.tapetus.pl/obrazki/n/51008_douglas-a-1h-skyraider-uzbrojenie.jpg

http://www.scaleplasticandrail.com/kaboom/images/stories/zoukeimura/skyraider/A-1H_VA-152_USS_Oriskany_1966.jpg

fxsttcb
May 22nd, 2013, 02:46
Here's my rendition of the 1965 C-1A COD for the Big "O". I also tried my hand at correcting the tail code on the Skyhawks.

The COD is the "FS2004 SOH Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer Project", ported to FSX, seamlessly(so far). Thanks Team!

CVA-34 and some of it's squadrons are slowly taking shape in my sim. Thanks to all involved. :salute: ...Don

navy81
May 22nd, 2013, 03:25
Here's my rendition of the 1965 C-1A COD for the Big "O". I also tried my hand at correcting the tail code on the Skyhawks.

The COD is the "FS2004 SOH Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer Project", ported to FSX, seamlessly(so far). Thanks Team!

CVA-34 and some of it's squadrons are slowly taking shape in my sim. Thanks to all involved. :salute: ...Don

Don,
The C-1 looks great! I did the same correction of the tail codes - CVW-21 (Tailcode NP) and VA-212 flew A-4F's off the Hancock on her 69-70 Westpac/Vietnam deployment. Oriskany had CVW-16 (tailcode AH) throughout the 60's until she picked up CVW-19 (Tailcode NM) on her '69 Vietnam deployment. It is a minor modification to the texture.13 file. If I could figure out how to send an attachment via pm to Ian and Gary, I would do so.
Here is a link for anyone to review the Air wing/squadron/aircraft assignment for Oriskany and the dates of her deployments.
http://www.gonavy.jp/CV-CV34f.html

Sindhu
May 22nd, 2013, 08:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8JI54F4Fhw

King 6952
May 22nd, 2013, 19:02

I like it! If you could post the 2nd pic next to the original B&W of the real thing, I think it will emphasize how much of a dead- ringer it is.
Best,
-Rusty Rabbit

King 6952
May 22nd, 2013, 19:10
Y'all realize that once this all gets released, we've got to have a fly-in to christen it, don't you? :icon_lol:

fxsttcb
May 24th, 2013, 06:26
I like it! If you could post the 2nd pic next to the original B&W of the real thing, I think it will emphasize how much of a dead- ringer it is.
Best,
-Rusty Rabbit
If I did that, then you, and all the world, would see how bad my rendition really is! :icon_lol:

navy81
May 31st, 2013, 16:25
Just wanted to keep this on the front couple of pages!
Gary still working hard and adding items to this great effort.

Another video just to keep everyone's motivation high.
Enjoy,
Deke

http://youtu.be/3JF2x5LHgxI
100%

Ian Warren
May 31st, 2013, 17:18
EXCEPTIONAL:cool: , All the freewares and paywares glued ya to the deck , brilliant video :cost1: <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Sindhu
May 31st, 2013, 20:18
Just wanted to keep this on the front couple of pages!
Gary still working hard and adding items to this great effort.

Another video just to keep everyone's motivation high.
Enjoy,
Deke

http://youtu.be/3JF2x5LHgxI
100%

Greatest video of the Big O at the moment, sir :salute: Did you fix the bad frame rate at the bow section, sir? Mine is the original and the frame rate is bad at the bow .

gp183601
June 1st, 2013, 03:46
Greatest video of the Big O at the moment, sir :salute: Did you fix the bad frame rate at the bow section, sir? Mine is the original and the frame rate is bad at the bow .

Deke is still running the same version as you as I haven't released another version yet. I suspect I know what the frame rate issue at the bow is as there was a lot of hidden polys under the bow in the sketchup model which were exported into the final FSX model causing a hit on frame rates. I have removed these in the current version I'm working on. Tilly crane is complete, I've been reworking the island as the dimensions weren't quite right, the port quarter of the stern has been reworked to include an LSO platform, the rounddown has been reduced in width (it was too wide), and working on new textures for the hull.

also creating flight deck crew (pics of them soon)

ATB
Gary

expat
June 1st, 2013, 10:59
Very well put togethe video - really enjoyed that one!!

Navy Chief
June 1st, 2013, 11:20
Could you please post the name of the video? Not able to view on ipad, and want to find it on YouTube. Thanks, NC

navy81
June 1st, 2013, 13:38
Could you please post the name of the video? Not able to view on ipad, and want to find it on YouTube. Thanks, NC

Chief,
Video name is Oriskany Dawn Launch.
Hope you enjoy it.
Cheers.

Deke

Navy Chief
June 1st, 2013, 14:34
Chief,
Video name is Oriskany Dawn Launch.
Hope you enjoy it.
Cheers.

Deke

Deke,

The video is so great! The music reminds me of an old USN aviation flick, such as "The Bridges at Toko Ri", or that timeframe at any rate.

First class production. As a Senior Chief I used to work for would say, "Simply superb!"

Pete

FSX68
June 1st, 2013, 18:48
Deke,

That video sure brought back some memories. Excellent video. I was on the USS Hancock (another 27C carrier) about that time frame and the only difference was the tail codes.

One thing (and some of you retired Navy Vietnam (Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club Members) remember was there was always a Chinese Junk that would "Monitor" our operations
from a few thousand yards (maybe closer) and just before we'd launch or recover aircraft, the Junk would turn into the wind in the same direction we would, only a few minutes before us.
It was an non official part of the task force. You really nailed it with the aircraft complement from the A-4's to the Whales to the S-2. Only thing missing was the (cough... cough) stack gas!! :icon_lol:

TARPSBird
June 1st, 2013, 19:10
As I recall that "Chinese junk" was usually a Soviet AGI intelligence collector. They had our launch and recovery routine down pat and they provided info to the folks in Hanoi about launch times and strike packages. The North Vietnamese may not have known exactly where the strikes were headed but they certainly knew they were coming. By the time the aircraft were "feet dry" (over land) every SAM site and AAA crew with a phone/radio was locked and loaded. Sorry to digress from the O-Boat/27-Charlie topic. :salute:

fallenphoenix1986
June 2nd, 2013, 01:46
Sorry to digress from the O-Boat/27-Charlie topic. :salute:

Don't be, I love hearing details like this :jump:

Just about to install her and the Virtavia Hotrod, been far too busy for far too long to enjoy them until now :cool:

Craig

expat
June 2nd, 2013, 03:35
Just about to install her and the Virtavia Hotrod

A very nice combination!

Sindhu
June 5th, 2013, 13:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofXDMn45naY&feature=youtu.be

FSX68
June 5th, 2013, 16:11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofXDMn45naY&feature=youtu.be

Like the Vid, where did you get the spad with the Oriskany markings on it? Did the Oriskany get re-released with the correct CAG tail markings this time?

Sindhu
June 6th, 2013, 02:02
Like the Vid, where did you get the spad with the Oriskany markings on it? Did the Oriskany get re-released with the correct CAG tail markings this time?

From here, sir..... http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/5222/fsx-us-navy-douglas-1-skyrider-va-152/

... And one more is this... http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/5220/fsx-us-navy-douglas-1-skyrider-va-95/

Both of them are the A-1J model , But I don't know why every time I landed the J model on the carriers, it'd bouncing around like hell off the flight deck. So I put these textures into the A-1H model and no problem like that of the A-1J model at all.

FSX68
June 6th, 2013, 05:32
Don,

Thanks for the tail code fix, it works great. The "AH" tail code on those A-4's looks better.

navy81
June 11th, 2013, 04:38
Deke,

That video sure brought back some memories. Excellent video. I was on the USS Hancock (another 27C carrier) about that time frame and the only difference was the tail codes.

One thing (and some of you retired Navy Vietnam (Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club Members) remember was there was always a Chinese Junk that would "Monitor" our operations
from a few thousand yards (maybe closer) and just before we'd launch or recover aircraft, the Junk would turn into the wind in the same direction we would, only a few minutes before us.
It was an non official part of the task force. You really nailed it with the aircraft complement from the A-4's to the Whales to the S-2. Only thing missing was the (cough... cough) stack gas!! :icon_lol:

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

I have uploaded this morning my Whale repaints (whidbey Whales.zip), the Demon repaint (VF-161.zip), a Skyraider repaint (VA-165.zip) and a VAP-61 RA-3B repaint - many of which will go well with Gary's Oriskany - especially when his next release comes.