PDA

View Full Version : Resize .dds textures

dandog
September 10th, 2012, 22:26
Please point me in the right way to re-size .dds files. I want to make some smaller due to not having the best rig. Can they be changed to DXT3 and used in FSX. Any help would be appreciated. I did Google and check the forums here first. Thank you.

DaveQ
September 11th, 2012, 00:17
The answers are yes and yes (I just tried it...!). Any graphics application that will allow you to resize (I use Photoshop) can be used. I suggest 1024x1024 is minimum for a clean .dds main texture file. Then you can use Martin Wright's dxtbmp programme to convert to DXT3.

Best of luck

DaveQ

GypsyBaron
September 11th, 2012, 18:33
I use "texconv.exe" and a small batch file to resize my textures. It is fast and iterative. I simply drag & drop
the 2 files into a texture folder and run the batch file. I actually have different batch files for the various types
of dds files and run the applicable BAT(s) based upon the types and name convention used.

As an example:

This sets 1024 x 1024 and adds mipmaps

@echo off
cls

texconv -w 1024 -h 1024 -m 8 -f DXT5 *_t.dds

This one is for the specular files

@echo off
cls

texconv -w 1024 -h 1024 -m 1 -f DXT5 *spec.dds

This one reesizes the _t.dds files

@echo off
cls

texconv -w 1024 -h 1024 -m 1 -f DXT5 *_t.dds

Paul

dandog
September 12th, 2012, 08:46
Thank you for the info. I will give them a try.

scott967b
September 12th, 2012, 17:23
Just note that not all image conversion software is equal. Reducing size means reducing the info content, and there are a number of algorithms to do that. From what I've seen most programs will default to the fastest method, which is probably also the lowest quality. Without analysis, I typically use Lanczos algorithm if available in the program.

Also for FSX I believe DXT5 is preferred over DXT3.

scott s.