PDA

View Full Version : Can they do that?

Paul Anderson
September 10th, 2012, 16:56
I was in my Bell Sympatico email watching a linked clip a friend had sent.
My computer shut down and started up again, when I went back on Internet I was prompted to resume last session.
Another tab was there, a signon to hotmail.
I went to my Bell signon and got same prompt.
I used my Bell signon/password and was back into the email.

I do NOT think anyone has the right to restart your machine without any warning.

Thoughts?

aeromed202
September 10th, 2012, 17:19
If I understand what you said, you probably had an unplanned shutdown. Can't give the exact path but I know there is a checkbox somewhere that says if the system shuts down because of an error or problem you want it to restart automatically. I presume therefore your machine encountered a glitch and did what it was told. Perhaps someone here knows where that option is, I'll try to remember it.

Ok, on my XP Home it's My computer/View System Information/Advanced/Startup and Recovery-Settings. There is a box below System Failure saying you want an automatic restart. Hopefully that will take care of things. It's also possible that the email program itself might have the ability to restart so check those settings too.

Paul Anderson
September 11th, 2012, 07:35
Noticed something else.
Always leave myself logged into Avsim and Flightsim, had to log into both today.

Found no logs or dumps with yesterday's date.
MSE scan showed nothing suspicious.

Wonder if system restarted in self-defence if something fishy about site I was viewing video on.

Paul Anderson
September 17th, 2012, 11:00
Computer restarted more frequently, took into shop - needed cleaning.
Got it back this morning, was email in junk folder supposedly from my CIBC bank stating terms and conditions had changed and I had to sign onto a provided link to agree to the changes and continue online banking services.
('clockroaster' was part of the link name)
I forwarded it to my bank rep, who forwarded it to their fraud division.
She forwarded their reply that it was indeed a fraud. I'm guessing scammers are looking for passwords.
Anybody see the irony that in bank's fraud division email reply it stated the bank does not communicate with customers via email?
(I get a monthly investment statement from them via email)

Tom Clayton
September 17th, 2012, 12:55
Noticed something else.
Always leave myself logged into Avsim and Flightsim, had to log into both today.

Found no logs or dumps with yesterday's date.
MSE scan showed nothing suspicious.

Wonder if system restarted in self-defence if something fishy about site I was viewing video on.

I just read this one. In my experience, if something causes the browser to crash, it dumps nearly everything out of the cache, including log-in cookies. I've had that happen to me a few times.

And as for your bank and emails, most banks do send automatic emails for things like paperless statements or "special offers." But you should never get an email from anyone in customer service asking for any kind of verification. If there's ever an issue, they'll ask you to come into a branch to rectify the problem in person.