PDA

View Full Version : This is annoying. How do I ancor the scene?

Fnerg
September 10th, 2012, 09:43
When I press L, I see the left side but it's about 40 miles back. I roll the mouse wheel to get it into the center of the frame but all of my parts are out of alignment until I click somewhere on the viewport and then everything "snaps" into place against the calibration box... Also when I'm trying to work on the vertices, and zoom in and out they go all over the place until I click the viewport, or a button. I's like the zooming function has no anchor. I would to fix this so I can continue. Any ideas what setting I'm overlooking in the customize?

Doug

hairyspin
September 10th, 2012, 09:52
Zoom extents selected, E key. If you have nothing selected, gmax will zoom in to show all your geometry as it will fit in the viewport. Select something and E and the view zooms in to that object. Sometimes a second press of E is needed. There are buttons at lower right corner to do the same.

Hope this helps.

Fnerg
September 10th, 2012, 10:10
No that didn't seem to be the solution. I've added a couple of screen shots.

hairyspin
September 10th, 2012, 10:43
That's really weird, as if the display isn't keeping up with the zoom. Are you using the HEIDI, OpenGL or Direct3D display driver? (Customize/Preferences, Viewports tab, bottom right of dialog)

Fnerg
September 10th, 2012, 11:07
yes very weird...I was in Direct3D but switched to OpenGL and now I don't have the issue...that being said, can I configure Direct3D?, or continue to use openGL for the rest of the project?

Milton Shupe
September 10th, 2012, 14:52
Use the one that works best with your 3D video card and gmax, simple answer.

The reason you get the issue you described is typically by having a stray vertice way off from your project. Happens a lot when you are "Create"ing polys and miss hitting one when building the poly.

Happy that you got it sorted out.

Fnerg
September 10th, 2012, 19:22
Thanks Milton. I also found an upgrade for my Logitech Cordless mouse which gave me a few more options and improvements. When I first inquired for a solution here, the mouse wheel was acting bizarre I thought too. Seems good now. Also, so, would you suggest panning way out, select all vertices in the scene, and then hit remove isolated vertices just to make sure nothing is way out in left field?

Milton Shupe
September 10th, 2012, 20:09
Thanks Milton. I also found an upgrade for my Logitech Cordless mouse which gave me a few more options and improvements. When I first inquired for a solution here, the mouse wheel was acting bizarre I thought too. Seems good now. Also, so, would you suggest panning way out, select all vertices in the scene, and then hit remove isolated vertices just to make sure nothing is way out in left field?

I think you can do it per each object when selected in editable mesh or poly modes.

What I have to done to see if any are there is select all parts and temporarily assign an editable mesh, then select all vertices.
That is just to identify that it exists. Once you know it is out there, you can delete the editable mesh and go find the offending part.