PDA

View Full Version : AI aircraft with turrets

Blondi
October 3rd, 2008, 17:29
Can someone tell me if an AI aircraft like a B17 which has a turret ,top or bottom,does it track you when you approach it as a hostile with the turret turning with you? Or can it only shoot when you are in one specific place?

BLONDI:cost1:

Corsair Freak
October 3rd, 2008, 17:53
Hi Blondi,

the turret does not physically track you. The guns in the DP file are given a limit to how far they can go up/down and left/right. So, if the turret on the B-17 is facing towards the rear, the guns can be firing towards the left, right, front etc...

IIRC attempts to make the turrets move have all met failure.

CF

OBIO
October 3rd, 2008, 18:07
I recently was flying some QC with the updated Me-410 (the one with the 75 mil canon that Watchdog did up so wonderfully) and was doing a bomber intercept using the Donation ware FDG2 B-17....and I can assure you that those gunners do track you and do shoot you! Did not live long enough to see if the turrets were moving or not...but I do know that those gunners were wide awake and doing their jobs.

And giving it a bit of though, animated turrets on AI bombers would just be a drain on Frame Rates and really would not be noticed all that much anyhow. Sure, it would be nice to have rotation turrets, but I would rather have good frame rates and smooth running.

OBIO

jimskifs
October 3rd, 2008, 18:14
I also never got close enough either to see if the turrets turn. But the guns track you and the gunners are great shots and have superb night vision. If you want a really difficult assignment try in quick combat sneaking up on a bomber at night. He will see you long before you see him (not always true in the real world) and about your only way to target him is to latch on to the source of all those tracers coming at you and maybe outgun him.

Jimski

Tango_Romeo
October 3rd, 2008, 18:17
....answer in the above replies. The guns track and shoot you, but the turrets do not normally move visually. That can be adjusted in the MDL file, but the reason that you seldom see this feature is that when you visually animate the turrets to do this they will track all aircraft, including friendlies, which is sort of disconcerting. You can see this feature operating in some of the AI ships......the 5" turrets will track any aircraft in range. The stock Japanese gunboat and destroyer, if I remember correctly, both fall into this category. :running:

Collin learned to do this animation in ships, but it is unnerving to have your own carrier tracking you with 5" turrets while you are landing...so he ditched it. :kilroy:

Blondi
October 5th, 2008, 04:29
Thanks guys,I guess what I am really after is if the guns are tracking you 360* rather than if the turrets are visably turning.So are they set to shoot 360* no matter where you approach them as Tango Suggests?I have a second question. In the 70s the USN, and UFAF had an addon mingun pod which the phantoms sometimes carried under the wings.usually 2 of them.Or singley on the centerline. Has anyone made one of these which can be added on like ordinance to a hardpoint?

OBIO
October 5th, 2008, 05:22
Blondi

In the US Modern Weapons Pack, there is a gun pod. And in one of the Alpha Sim F-4 Phantom packs, there is a US Navy Gun Pod...not sure which one it came with as none of the planes seem to use it. Or maybe it's part of the Alpha Sim Modern Weapons pack and the OBJECT DP file is a remnant from when I had that installed.

Just took another look, and there is a RAF F-4 Gun Pod and a USN F-4 Gunpod.

OBIO

Blondi
October 5th, 2008, 13:08
Blondi

In the US Modern Weapons Pack, there is a gun pod. And in one of the Alpha Sim F-4 Phantom packs, there is a US Navy Gun Pod...not sure which one it came with as none of the planes seem to use it. Or maybe it's part of the Alpha Sim Modern Weapons pack and the OBJECT DP file is a remnant from when I had that installed.

Just took another look, and there is a RAF F-4 Gun Pod and a USN F-4 Gunpod.

OBIO

Thanks Obio, I have to take a look at these pods.I'm going to be gone for a few days but when I get back I'm going to look at them.Didnt' the Germans have a 20mm pod they used on the Me 109,and the FW190?

Hern07
October 5th, 2008, 13:33
The /r6 kit added two 20 mm cannon, one under each wing, to the Me 109G, each with 140 rounds. The Fw 190 came equipped with 2 20 mm cannon in each wing. It did have an expansion pack A8/R2 that replaced the outer 20 mm gun with a 30 mm cannon.

Blondi
October 5th, 2008, 20:01
The /r6 kit added two 20 mm cannon, one under each wing, to the Me 109G, each with 140 rounds. The Fw 190 came equipped with 2 20 mm cannon in each wing. It did have an expansion pack A8/R2 that replaced the outer 20 mm gun with a 30 mm cannon.

Thank you Hern07.Were the /r6 cannon added to a hardpoint,or added to the aircraft itself?

Blondi:cost1:

Hern07
October 5th, 2008, 20:21
Don't really know for sure, but since they were kits and since thy didn't cause any major changes in the ac nomenclature, I would be 99% certain they would be hardpoints. :kilroy:

Jagdflieger
October 5th, 2008, 20:25
A while back, Simonu posted a taxining aircraft B-24 (MS AI) that acts like a vehicle so that you can have them taxi around your airfield. When you attack them, their turrets swivel and fire at you just like some of the ships in CFS 2. It's quite fun to watch, although they are most apt to shoot you down if you hang around too long.

If you want to try them, search for:

static_plane_library.zip

Blondi
October 6th, 2008, 03:48
A while back, Simonu posted a taxining aircraft B-24 (MS AI) that acts like a vehicle so that you can have them taxi around your airfield. When you attack them, their turrets swivel and fire at you just like some of the ships in CFS 2. It's quite fun to watch, although they are most apt to shoot you down if you hang around too long.

If you want to try them, search for:

static_plane_library.zip

Thank you Jag. That is what I needed to know.Have a good one.

Tango_Romeo
October 6th, 2008, 16:58
I guess what I am really after is if the guns are tracking you 360* rather than if the turrets are visably turning.So are they set to shoot 360* no matter where you approach them as Tango Suggests?BLONDI:cost1:

The range of tracking for each turret gun is defined specifically in the DP file. It is defined as the number of degrees + and - the centerline of the gun's orientation. For example, if the top turret gun is set to an orientation of 180 (pointing astern) then it's range of motion can be set to +180/-180. That would give the top turret the abililty to track and fire in a full circle.

Elevation orientation and limits are also defined in the DP in a similar manner.

No two aircraft are alike, so to tell exactly which guns have which limits you would have to open the DP in DPed and check them out individually. :ernae: