PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Flight 'simulator'

Lionheart
September 9th, 2012, 23:32
Hey all,

Anyone pick up the Lunar Flight game? Its a simulator for the Lunar Module (Apollo project) where you have to run back and fourth to bases dropping off cargo, pilots, surveying, etc. It was recently on sale for like $5.50 at SimMarket.com. Also available at Steam.

So..... Dang if this isnt one difficult sim to fly... I have crashed about 200 times or more in the several nights Ive had it and flown it. Tonight, however, I found a YouTube that someone posted where he flies two missions in it, so I got to see how that was done and behold.... I was landing 'on' the little base landing pads (finally) and right side up, no explosions, no leaking fuel or explosive decompressions, etc. I even finished one mission tonight! Cargo intact even. heh..

Once you kind of figure a few things out on it, its not so bad.

Anyone else have this?

For more information on it, go here; http://www.shovsoft.com/lunarflight/

Bill

yankeeromeo
September 10th, 2012, 03:49
Hello Bill,

Didn't know this sim but i surely give it a try as i'm Space fan.
Thanks for the news.
Cheers.

Ickie
September 10th, 2012, 04:00
about 8-10 years ago here was this space sim and we use to have a forum for it but saddly id died out and it was very hard to do to.

Lionheart
September 10th, 2012, 08:59
I heard about that last night on YouTube, Ickie. This seems to be a new version of that one, different people and different game, but same idea.

At first, I was really put back by how difficult it is. Just that one YouTube flight of a guy doing two missions without crashing was all it took for me to click into how it is flown. The way the ship keeps drifting if you do not negate a turn in bank angles is really difficult to manage. All the axis of the different turning directions is crazy. I DO NOT see how the astronaughts did it when landing the real things.

Today, I would think we would have automated flight controls from computers that would manage stability. Basically we would just tell it what to do, where to go, and it would do the rest, like the new F-35B STOVL jet fighter. It will hover over the same spot, even in a cross wind, proper heading, etc. Joystick input will then tell it to raise, lower, turn, tilt, etc.

Bill

ThinkingManNeil
September 10th, 2012, 14:36
There was another called Eagle Lander 3D that was quite good and highly detailed, but I don't know what it's current status is. Here's some video that's dated from 2009:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5wnbf0y0dQ&feature=plcp

There is a website (http://www.eaglelander3d.com/) for it, but I'd avoid trying to download the demo version; last time I did it took me to a malware site. I know that the demo worked OK with Windows XP, but I don't know what the status of the sim would be for Vista or Windows 7 machines. I should really try getting in touch with the developer as it was a fun space Sim.

N.

eddie
September 10th, 2012, 14:46
Haven't tried Lunar Flight, I enjoy doing the historical flights in Orbiter. Here Neil at Tranquility Base.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v138/Thony/Neil.jpg

Dain Arns
September 10th, 2012, 15:09
Bill, Lunar Flight will get easier when you start to upgrade your Lander, especially with better, more efficient thrust, RCS, and larger fuel tanks for example.
Then you can take on the harder missions that pay out more, like recovering items and returning them to a base.

Sounds like the SimMarket version is a little bit behind, as there is a new Mars update for when you become an Expert. ;)

Lionheart
September 10th, 2012, 16:30
Bill, Lunar Flight will get easier when you start to upgrade your Lander, especially with better, more efficient thrust, RCS, and larger fuel tanks for example.
Then you can take on the harder missions that pay out more, like recovering items and returning them to a base.

Sounds like the SimMarket version is a little bit behind, as there is a new Mars update for when you become an Expert. ;)

I saw the Mars version, coming soon to SimMarket. I'll be sure to get the update.

Looks pretty darn cool.

I wish we had some cooler looking landers instead of the Model-T of all landers. ;)

Penzoil3
September 10th, 2012, 19:50
Whee! Downloading now!
Thanks
Sue

Lionheart
September 10th, 2012, 21:38
Sue, it will be very difficult at first. You are warned. Watch and do the flight school YouTube movies. I'll see if I can find that YouTube vid where he does 2 successful flights.

Bill

Lionheart
September 10th, 2012, 21:41
Sue,

If you got the 'Mars Simulator' that shows the Lunar Rover vehicle, (not the flying Lunar Lander), then you got a different sim. This one here is 'Lunar Flight' and has a Mars option now.

Bill

Penzoil3
September 13th, 2012, 14:28
No, definitely " Lunar Flight". Or in my case Lunar Crasher, tricky indeed. I have my HOTAS set up for it, but can't figure out navigation quite yet. I follow the arrows, and end up out of bounds, or hit a mountain, Perseverance! And a You Tube search. Watched the tutorials...

:mixedsmi:
Sue

Lionheart
September 13th, 2012, 19:49
Sue,

This is that flight that I was talking about. He does two successful flights in a row on this. You learn so much from this one video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys2z3oB6AzM

Note on these flights, he doesnt rock the ship, like angular motion like the guy does in the demos. He keeps it steady and straight up.

Some key details;
* Hover is all important. Note the V (vertical) climb/descent, and how to set your automatic thruster level with Spacebar and left Shift key. Set hover with cargo via the LOPTW screen. When you are cruising along the valley, note if you are doing straight flight, or climbing or descending. Hover is the most important thing, I think.
* With hover, note that you can preset it before you leave, then refuel for that 5% of fuel it took you to tune the setting.
* Hover again, note that you can take off at full thruster to a climb of .65 M/S, then turn on hover and you will continue to climb. Turn off auto thrust and wait till you start to decell, and when you are at 0.0 M/S VSI, hit auto thrust and you are hovering. To begin a light descent, blip the auto thrust off for a quick second, then back on and you are going downwards at say 5 or 10 M/S, great for a soft landing.

I usually start slowing down at 100 meters out. I also try to come in low and level (hover flight) and not in an arc, as I am not that good yet. I am starting to get paid in missions and making my way out of debt, lolol... Still no addons to my old clunker lunar lander, which must be held together with gum and duct tape by now. :S

Dain Arns
September 13th, 2012, 20:12
I do the same thing.
I generally don't tip the Lander, like it shows in the game's trailer.
Mostly just use my RCS sparingly to get around.
Someday I need to learn how to do the 'ballistic arc' thing like the developer can do.

Lionheart
September 14th, 2012, 07:34
Someday I need to learn how to do the 'ballistic arc' thing like the developer can do.

I think its in the joystick. He really has a good ability to do that tilting, but its like, how can he see where he's going when he's doing that? I lose site of the target zone, etc, etc. I tried rigging my Saitek X-52 to the sim and found issues trying to get it to work. I noticed that in his tutorials, he saves a ton of fuel doing that.

Once, last night, I was doing a run, learning the tilt thing (trying) and got myself up to over 4.x M/S. I was almost to the landing site by then. I hadnt seen it climb that fast...

Penzoil3
September 15th, 2012, 02:47
Doing a bit better, landed once. The lag is a problem, I'm used to the Dodo. This is NOT a helicopter!
Having fun though. I'll get there. Thanks Bill ! I'll check that video out tomorrow, when I can turn the sound up. Room mate is asleep, not a good time for rockets!
LOL
Sue

Naismith
September 15th, 2012, 12:32
Interesting thread, btw Orbiter still has a lot to offer and it is FREE

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Lionheart
September 16th, 2012, 08:12

The last time I went to download the newest Orbiter, I went to download the high rez planet graphics and flashes and popups came up and bing, I had a virus that planted itself on the HD and my anti virus systems could not remove it. I had to redo my entire hard drive, which is two parts; Apple and WinXP. Took me over a week to reload everything.

Tried to explain this to the guy at Orbiter and he said it was clean. I wanted to let me know that some bad things were there, for safety sake.

Ive had Orbiter before, years ago now. Great sim. This sim is fun, quick, mission based. Nothing really sophisticated. Thanks though for your advice. Always appreciate heads up and new sims news. Outerra should be pretty awesome when its done.

Bill

Dain Arns
September 16th, 2012, 13:10

Lunar Flight can often be found on STEAM for 50% off, or $4.99USD.
At $9.99 it is still very reasonable for what is offered.
Plus the developer is still very interested in his project, and has made regular updates to it.
Three updates so far this year since the game was released this spring.

So I think sending a few bucks to a developer for his work on the game and continued support is more than fair. :salute:

Lionheart
September 16th, 2012, 16:30
Lunar Flight can often be found on STEAM for 50% off, or $4.99USD.
At $9.99 it is still very reasonable for what is offered.
Plus the developer is still very interested in his project, and has made regular updates to it.
Three updates so far this year since the game was released this spring.

So I think sending a few bucks to a developer for his work on the game and continued support is more than fair. :salute:

Yep, I agree.

I would like to have a cooler lunar lander, something more modern. Also, Mars! I must have Mars now!!!! :D

Lionheart
September 16th, 2012, 19:19
I made some break throughs tonight. :)

I finally got out of debt and was up to $51K in flight earnings. I watched a YouTube again and saw one guy buying his addons for his Lander and thought I would check this out. The basic mods were open (unlocked) and so I picked up the thruster, better RCS manuvering jets, gyro, Aux fuel tank, etc. I was stunned to find that I burned less fuel! I was able to run 8000 LB runs at short distance on only half a tank of fuel. Very nice.... After I had spent those funds on updates, I was back up to $50+K already in just a few hops.

Another thing, which was wasnt afraid of doing anymore was using the RCS rockets to get up to 3.5 M/S speed. At one point, I was up to 4.0 or 4.5. A bit to hot for me right now. But at 3.5, I start decelling at .75 out, getting down to about 1.2 or 1.4 M/S. Then when I see the ramp from the overhead view (top down view mode), I slow down and center her up, sometimes trying to rotate around 180 degrees for the take-off. If I am freaked out from stress on a landing, I do the 180 adjustment after touching down, doing a very low hover, rotate, touch back down.

But with the updates and enhancements, its really nice to have lots of fuel left over, and better acceleration/deceleration performance.

Lionheart
September 17th, 2012, 02:06
With it being my day off, I got in some great flying time today on this. :)

I am up to Level 2 now and all equipment. The ship handles totally better. Unbeleiveable how much better. Horrible that we were put through the first parts with unstable ships, lol...

I am now doing flights on long distance jumps (accross the valley) at 4.0 M/S. I start slowing at 80.0 Meters out, decelling to 2.0 M/S. Near 35 meters out, I slow to about 1.0 M/S. When I am nearly over the pad, I begin a turn around to face the other way (spin it 180 degrees) and start decent at 28 to 30. (I think thats 0.28 to 0.30 - M/S descent rate, VSI or VMI). I am pretty good now at touching down.

I am landing with like 60% fuel left on board, lol.... I was landing at first (first started out) with nearly zero in the tanks, when I was lucky....

There is no way you can come in that hot, at 4.0 M/S, with older version RCS engines/rockets, as you cant slow down in time. The Level 1's were great, and Level 2 is awesome. I wonder what Level 3 will be like.

I am already back up to 60,K in credits, doing LOTS of runs. Pretty fun to actually get in successful flights.

Now I am sure I'll be having a bunch of dreams about those Lunar Landers now, lol... 8-S

Bill

Lionheart
September 18th, 2012, 11:20
I am now at level 3 on all updates and accessories.

Now traveling at 4.5 M/S to waypoints. I start reverse thrusting at 70 meters out. Coming in HOT!!!! One goof up and I am part of that tower, lol...

Amazing how it handles on turns now. The Gyro updates keep the craft from continually turning; stops automatically.

I still havent done a survey or lost cargo run. I guess I could do that tonight. After work... Hours and hours away... :(

Dain Arns
September 18th, 2012, 12:18
I am now at level 3 on all updates and accessories.

Now traveling at 4.5 M/S to waypoints. I start reverse thrusting at 70 meters out. Coming in HOT!!!! One goof up and I am part of that tower, lol...

Amazing how it handles on turns now. The Gyro updates keep the craft from continually turning; stops automatically.

I still havent done a survey or lost cargo run. I guess I could do that tonight. After work... Hours and hours away... :(

Surveys and Lost Cargoes are the fun but challenging ones.
No spoiler I hope, you'll get some surveys on top of the surrounding Mountains.
But with level 3 upgrades you can do it. :ipepsi2:

Lionheart
September 18th, 2012, 14:58
[QUOTE=Dain Arns;747447
But with level 3 upgrades you can do it. :ipepsi2:[/QUOTE]

I'll try some tonight. With Level 3 upgrades, you can fly along empty (no cargo) for quite a long time. I am getting in with 8000 LBs payloads with 65 to 70% left over fuel. It isnt like this on Base level engines, lol... Nice to be this far ahead.

Cratermaker
September 19th, 2012, 13:13
I am at level 2 on equipment, but I don't understand something: It says all the maps are unlocked, but how do I actually switch to a different one?

Lionheart
September 19th, 2012, 16:24
I am at level 2 on equipment, but I don't understand something: It says all the maps are unlocked, but how do I actually switch to a different one?

Congrats! Flies a heck of a lot better, eh?

I have no idea on the maps. Maybe the missions change at a certain point.

I just did my first couple of lost cargo runs. First was very fast and easy, but the second took 2 jumps to a refuel station then back and finally found the dang thing right in the center of the crater base in the valley. Both loads were 8000 LBs. Nice funds.

Lionheart
September 20th, 2012, 19:03
Dain, you werent kidding.

Ive been doing 'lost cargo' missions and just did two on top of the crater at its outer rim. That is a deep crater.....

I had to refuel on one as I went to the wrong base (some how) when trying to deliver the cargo.

Sue, you can plug in VOR links via the Map, then fly to that base, to practice flying and landings. Also, I suggest the aux fuel tank purchases. 1,000 credits, but well worth it. I think it will fully fuel your tank. I believe also the emergency gyro you can buy (sticks into the 3 button thing on the top right) will help you when you get into a tumble effect during a flight. I just realized what it was for and bought it...

Pretty good fun. (now that I know how to fly without crashing and spinning and making craters... arrgh).

Cratermaker
September 21st, 2012, 08:56
OH.... hit "ESC" while in the lander, select maps from the pop up menu. I'm trying the 2nd one now. "Intermediate" it says. More natural looking terrain in that one. Things are bit farther apart too.

Lionheart
September 21st, 2012, 08:58
OH.... hit "ESC" while in the lander, select maps from the pop up menu. I'm trying the 2nd one now. "Intermediate" it says. More natural looking terrain in that one. Things are bit farther apart too.

Cool! Thanks for the heads up.

Bill

Lionheart
September 22nd, 2012, 21:26
Whoa...... I jumped from Map 1 to Map 4; Mars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went there without going to the other levels. One jumps from missions that are 350 to 550 meters, up to 2500 meters, and you fly through dust storms! ack!!!!!!!!!

Can you believe I made it on the first flight, farthest distance. Luckily I had my aux fuel tank, which I think is about 1/2 a tank. I might get two Aux tanks (if I can do that) just in case. Looks like you would use that giant thrust option (click and burn) that runs for like 5 seconds, 300% boost for doing long jumps on Mars. Dang.... What a change. Blue skies and dust storms, lol..... And you are much more heavier. I was fighting a head wind landing at this last base, trying to land.

Bill

Alain_F355
September 23rd, 2012, 00:06
I have been playing this game for some time now and it is really fun. A good mix between realism and arcade and a real challenge. You really have to focus and be gentle to keep the lander from spinning out of control.

For better control I suggest you use an Xbox 360 controller. The game recognizes it, and there is a keychart for it in the manual. I tried my joystick first but I was all over the place constantly overcorrecting. With the Xbox 360 controller you can make really small adjustments by tapping the thumbsticks.

Lionheart
September 23rd, 2012, 07:59
Thanks Alain for the heads up. For me, using my joystick was also totally useless. Ive become pretty good with my fingers on the keyboard. The third level addon equipment also really help out in keeping my craft form spiraling around.

Bill

Cratermaker
September 24th, 2012, 19:27
Agreed on the 360 controller. I have all the achievements now. I just did a "lost cargo" mission on mars. Had to go halfway across the map to find it, far away from other bases, only to find it weighed 12,000 lbs!! Had to go back and refuel at the original base. Winds were VERY heavy. Had < 100 fuel left. Destination was on the other side of the map. Diagonally. Purchased "drop tanks" and man, did I need them! At the destination, there was a down draft or something. Sometimes, even at 100% thrust, I couldn't slow my decent rate!

Lionheart
September 24th, 2012, 20:21
Agreed on the 360 controller. I have all the achievements now. I just did a "lost cargo" mission on mars. Had to go halfway across the map to find it, far away from other bases, only to find it weighed 12,000 lbs!! Had to go back and refuel at the original base. Winds were VERY heavy. Had < 100 fuel left. Destination was on the other side of the map. Diagonally. Purchased "drop tanks" and man, did I need them! At the destination, there was a down draft or something. Sometimes, even at 100% thrust, I couldn't slow my decent rate!

Dang! I need some destressing, not something that will have me sweating bullets, lol...

Thanks for the heads up.

Lionheart
October 11th, 2012, 09:55
I took a mini vacation from this sim. Went back last night and did a couple of flights. One flight, I had a forward angle of nearly 40, was rocketing accross the horizon, and thought I had plenty of time to descend and land and slow down. I was doing something like 10 meters per second, lol... Came in way high over the cliffs of Mars just before Delta base (top right). Had to come in straight down while negotiating a dust storm which helped me slow down but zero viz. 8,000 LB payload! Made it.

Pretty fun.

Those 'lost cargo' missions on Mars are CRAZY!

Gdavis101
October 11th, 2012, 14:32
I suck at this game!

What is the trick to getting the Xbox 360 controller to work? I hooked up the controller via my charging cable that usually attaches to my 360, installed the driver software from MS, but I can't get it to do anything.

Lionheart
October 11th, 2012, 17:58
I suck at this game!

What is the trick to getting the Xbox 360 controller to work? I hooked up the controller via my charging cable that usually attaches to my 360, installed the driver software from MS, but I can't get it to do anything.

Gene,

I have no idea. I use the keyboard. I tried linking my X52 to it, but it was horrible. Carnage everywhere. For me, taps of burst on the keys work brilliant. I have to disconnect my joystic before using the game. Last night, I accidentally had the joystick linked in and each time my sim started a scene, my lander did a vertical doughnut and wrecked each time. FInally figured out it was the joystick.

Watch the movie at YouTube that I posted. That shows you much about how to do a good flight and landing. Start at making level flights via that first map zone. Never touch the rotation keys (arrow keys) if at all possible, until you are upgraded to the highest level. Low level basic, you will just crash. Keep it level and fly straight. Balanced zero lift on your main engine is key importance; (LOPTW chart).

Later, you learn to take off at full thrust, then adjust down as you cliimb, then when you have gyro enhancements, you can lean forward and let the main engine drive you to speeds of 10 MPS. Until then though, 2 MPS to 3.5 MPS in that small crater zone is very fast.

Bill