PDA

View Full Version : "Fighter Squadron"

TARPSBird
September 9th, 2012, 14:14
Just a reminder to fans of this classic 1948 fighter flick that it's now available on DVD from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and the Warner Bros. Shop (WBShop.com). I got my copy from WBShop for $22 (shipping included), about the same from the other sources. Good cast (several of whom became famous later), lots of P-47's making their mark in Hollywood history before being scrapped (might have come in handy in Korea a couple years later), P-51's masquerading as Me-109's, color gun camera footage. I enjoyed finally seeing this movie in color, previously I had only seen it in black & white years ago on our TV at home.

HighGround22
September 9th, 2012, 15:41
I strongly suspect that this movie was responsible for my eventual 35-year career as military aircrew. I remember spending my allowance to see it, then hoping it was still showing the next Saturday so I could see it again.

When I recently saw the movie once again -- now in my seventies -- the storyline was nothing like I remembered it. But it was fun nevertheless.

TARPSBird
September 9th, 2012, 21:57
Jon, I didn't remember much of the movie except for the numerous P-47's and Master Sgt. Dolan and the black cats. Totally forgot that Jack Larson (Jimmy Olsen on the Superman TV show) played the rookie pilot who had to take O2 after his first kill. :icon_lol: