PDA

View Full Version : OT Had to Take a Break

PutPut
September 8th, 2012, 19:03
Sometimes you have to take a break whether you want to or not. About a week ago my 4 year old motherboard gave up the ghost. In addition my main hard drive appeared to have quit. I really don't know which was the chicken or the egg; they both were sick. Naturally, my E8400 processor had a different socket than any self respecting M/B I could currently buy and my memory sticks were too old to use with any M/B I liked. So, I bought a new Gigabyte M/B, a i5-3570 3.4 gig processor and 8 gigs of Patriot DDR3 1600 memory. I kept my year old ATI card for the time being. I got it all assembled yesterday and started reloading stuff. I have been good about backup so all that I lost were the complete set of textures for my latest project; a Berliner Joyce OJ-2. I reloaded FSX Acceleration this morning. I have FSX Gold as my backup. I had a tiff with Microsoft about activating FSX but finally got it resolved over the phone. The first 2 guys I talked to had never heard of FSX. I added Acceleration and it activated without a hassle. I will reload my scenery and airplanes at my leisure and cull out a bunch. Tomorrow will reload my design stuff.
It appears to have been worth the hassle and money as FSX is running faster and much smoother than before. The new quad core processor runs significantly cooler than the dual; that can't be all bad.
Hopefully I will have the Berliner Joyce looking like my avatar again in a few days.

Best, Paul:salute::salute:

Sundog
September 8th, 2012, 19:08
Best of luck to you that everything else goes smoothly. :)

Roger
September 9th, 2012, 03:25
Glad to see you're getting back to normal again Paul! Shame about the lost textures though.