PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Still Use A VCR Tape Movies ?

casey jones
September 8th, 2012, 11:07
I still tape movies and other programs on my Sony VCR..been taping since I bought my
first VCR in 1981 which was a Quasar VCR. I am hopeing there are folks who still use
the VCR, I have a new Sony VCR and a another new VCR still in the box. Tapes are
cheap and I can use 8 hr tapes.

Cheers

Casey

Eoraptor1
September 8th, 2012, 12:27
I still use mine, and still have lots of tapes. I'm trying to transition everything to digital, but lack time and money. I only just got Casablanca on DVD last week, because I lucked on it on sale. I also have a lot of hard to find titles.

JAMES

Tako_Kichi
September 8th, 2012, 13:20
We have many video tapes that were bought/recorded during the growth of our children. Then DVDs came along and the original VCR died so they just sat in a box for many years.

A while back my wife and daughter came home after visiting the local thrift store and they'd bought a used VCR that worked and now the grand-daughters can enjoy all the old Disney tapes when they come to visit. :icon_lol:

hey_moe
September 8th, 2012, 13:36
Do you still use a rotary phone too :icon_lol:
I still tape movies and other programs on my Sony VCR..been taping since I bought my
first VCR in 1981 which was a Quasar VCR. I am hopeing there are folks who still use
the VCR, I have a new Sony VCR and a another new VCR still in the box. Tapes are
cheap and I can use 8 hr tapes.

Cheers

Casey

Dain Arns
September 8th, 2012, 13:55

You do realize there are many folks out there that will have no idea what a rotary phone is... ;)
"Yes, Kids! We used to share phone lines with our neighbors!
It was called a "party line" and it wasn't used to talk dirty". :icon_lol:

KellyB
September 8th, 2012, 14:00

Yup. I think it's interesting that they still work...sort of.
If I could, I'd have a crank phone...born too late, I guess.

andersel
September 8th, 2012, 14:02
I'm not a big buyer/collector of movies in ANY format. but of the few that I have, many are on tape. I've got one of those nifty DVD/VCR combo machines so I can use both.

LA

Ferry_vO
September 8th, 2012, 14:16
Not any more.. Disconnected the VCR from the TV a few months ago, because I hadn't used it for at least a year. Even the DVD player is now in storage as it is replaced with my first Blu-ray player.
Great image quality, and it even makes the 'old' DVD's look better.

The old VCR I threw away, I only kept a few special ones. To record programs and mvies I now have a box for digital TV with a hard disc.

napamule
September 8th, 2012, 14:31
I finally got rid of my Beta Recorder and Cam the last time I moved (in 1997). It was 'portable'. Big ole battery (10 lbs?). What I liked was the color quality (sharper than VCR). And I also had a big bulky VCR cam. I got a RCA dvd/vcr unit as a birthday gift that I still use to play DVD videos. But, to make 'home movies' anymore I just use my Kodak Z950 camera. Takes really NICE video quality movies.

I mount it on dash and take movies (some are 15 minutes long) of me driving all over town. And it's all saved onto a little card that I plug into my Epson printer's card reader and then download to PC. Once there I use AvsVideo converter to convert to *.wmv to watch now (on PC) or *dvd to burn to DVD to play on any dvd player. But I have to remember to CHARGE the camera for next time after a day of shooting videos (I forget and then it won't even take pictures). Got's to 'upgrade' gents. Out with the old-in with the new. Get With The Program. (hehe).
Chuck B
Napamule

Gdavis101
September 8th, 2012, 14:53
About the only thing I use a VCR for anymore is copying old home movies over to DVD.. I ended up giving almost all of my old VHS movies away, after moving them 3 times I got tired of them!

Odie
September 8th, 2012, 17:10
You do realize there are many folks out there that will have no idea what a rotary phone is... ;)
"Yes, Kids! We used to share phone lines with our neighbors!
It was called a "party line" and it wasn't used to talk dirty". :icon_lol:

Yeah, our small town had party lines into the 1960s....You'd pick up the phone to use it and people would shout, "LINE IN USE...LINE IN USE".

Willy
September 8th, 2012, 20:30
I had an old rotary phone on my computer desk up until a couple of years ago when it finally died.

pfflyers
September 9th, 2012, 08:21
I still have a couple vcrs and a few tapes in a box in the garage (hoarder, I quess). Took one out and played it a couple months ago just for fun. Back in the day we recorded tv and movies all the time, had a huge collection. My wife, bless her, converted most of it to dvd, now we have a big pile of dvds we hardly ever watch. I justify keeping them because someday we might get too poor to afford cable. It's kinda funny to watch some of the old recordings, to see the crummy picture quality we put up with back then.