PDA

View Full Version : OT: Rare Bf 109E-1 Being Restored to Flight

Bomber_12th
September 6th, 2012, 07:20
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/TT%20Restored/Bf109E20CivilWar206-881.jpg

I figured several here would be interested in this news, if you hadn't heard it already.

A Bf 109E-1 airframe that has been owned by Robs Lamplough (owner/pilot of P-51D "Miss Helen"), which has been stored in England for several decades, has arrived at MeierMotors in Germany for a ground up restoration to flying condition. The aircraft, as early a model as it is, served prior to the start of WWII, in the Spanish Civil War, as 6-88 and C.4E-88. The aircraft's remains consists of the fuselage, wings, cowlings, and tail. Here is the MeierMotors webpage already dedicated to the project: http://www.meiermotors.com/de/aircraft/messerschmitt-bf109-e-1-6-88.html

(If anyone knows of a repaint of this aircraft for the Shockwave/WOP model, and location to download it, please let me know.)

MeierMotors has built up quite a warbird restoration and maintenance establishment in the past several years. Besides this new 109E-1 project, the company has also been busy restoring both an original Bf 109G, and an Ha-1112 Buchon to Bf 109G standard, both with DB 605 powerplants, for Jerry Yagen (the large and active Military Aviation Museum/Fighter Factory collection, based in Virginia Beach and Suffolk, VA). The Bf 109G, when completed, will be the only original example to have flown since "Black 6", with all of the other G-models currently flying having been conversions from Ha-1112 Buchons. MeierMotors is also busy restoring and converting a Fiat G.59 trainer to a complete G.55 Centauro fighter, which will also, authentically, be powered by a DB 605. This aircraft too is owned by Jerry Yagen, and will be the only flying G.55 on the planet, when completed. As can be expected, there will likely be an entire DB 605 support team and maintenance program established at the Military Aviation Museum for these aircraft.

Individual project pages can be found for these aircraft, and others, at the MeierMotors website.

Although slightly unrelated, the Air Fighter Academy (http://airfighteracademy.com/), a rather new warbird museum in Germany, is said to also soon be receiving its Bf 109E-3, fresh from a recent restoration to flying condition in England (Werk Nr. 1983). Besides the flying aircraft at this museum, there is also an original Bf 109G-14 (Werk Nr. 462707 "Black 2") on static display, as well as an original Fw 190D-9 (Werk Nr. 400616 "White 16"), being restored to static display. Jerry Yagen also has a Bf 109E-7 (Werk Nr. 2023 "Black 9" of 8./JG5) that has been under long-term restoration to flying condition for several years now, as well as a few rather 'secret' Fw 190 projects based on original examples (including an Fw 190D-9, rumored to be having a proper Jumo engine being restored for it, to flying condition, and at least one or two original Fw 190A's (apart from his well known Flugwerk Fw 190A-8 replica). The super intact and preserved Bf 109E-7 (Werk Nr. 3523 "CS+AJ" and "Red 6"), that was recovered from a Russian lake in 2003 (http://www.warbirdfinders.co.uk/aircraft_BF109E_wn3523.htm), will also soon be undergoing restoration to flying condition at Fighter Rebuilders in Chino, CA (if it hasn't begun already). This aircraft is owned by Tom and Dan Friedkin, who also have an airforce of airworthy and very active warbirds.

At this time there are only two Bf 109E's in flying condition - the Bf 109E-3 owned by the Flying Heritage Collection, flown each summer, and the Bf 109E-7 owned by the Russel Group (which has since folded up). Their Bf 109E-7 and Hawker Hurricane are both for sale, while their Spitfire Mk.IX was sold some time ago and has now been flying in England.

aeronca1
September 6th, 2012, 08:19
MeierMotors is also busy restoring and converting a Fiat G.59 trainer to a complete G.55 Centauro fighter, which will also, authentically, be powered by a DB 605. This aircraft too is owned by Jerry Yagen, and will be the only flying G.55 on the planet, when completed.

I don't want to stir up ill feelings, but it will NOT be a G.55, it will be a replica G.55. I really don't like to see things like this happen. It would be like buying a split window Corvette and cutting it up to replicate another version. Who would do such a thing? I like the G.59 and would much rather see the A/C restored to it's original condition instead of cutting and chopping it into another model. Leave that to plastic modelers!

Ferry_vO
September 6th, 2012, 08:55
Agreed on the G.55! There's a guy here flying what he claims to be a Yak-3 but which is quite obviously a Yak-11 (Or Let C.11) trainer converted to a single-seater. It even has a Wasp engine in the nose!

As for the 109: Looks like it will need a lot of work! How many parts can you replace before it is a replica rather than an original?

Bomber_12th
September 6th, 2012, 09:25
Geeze guys, with this kind of talk, this forum is going to start sounding like the Flypast forums (only joking of course)! ; )

Mathias
September 6th, 2012, 09:40
Haha, my first thought was exactly along Ferry's lines, how much will be original in the end?
Anyway, it's an exciting project. LW restorations have come a long way in the past couple of years.

robert41
September 6th, 2012, 17:50
Thanks for the information and links B12. Good to hear some of these vintage warplanes being restored.