PDA

View Full Version : Be Careful of Video Driver Updates

erufle
January 1st, 2009, 05:14
Microsoft update just updated the driver for my NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS. Afterward, CFS2 would not work correctly. I rolled back the driver and CFS2 was fine. Just another lesson learned here at the outhouse. If I had not have been warned of the possible consequemces of updating drivers here first, I probably would have figured my installs had been corrupted, or something worse!

bearcat241
January 1st, 2009, 06:25
When you do MS updates, never select any hardware updates in the bundle. They don't know enough or care enough about the subject to get it right everytime. Driver updates should only be done directly from the hardware vendors' sites or a reputable driver provider site like Guru3D.com for example.

Tango_Romeo
January 1st, 2009, 09:02
When you do MS updates, never select any hardware updates in the bundle.

...piece of advice. And if you are not having any issues, why would you want a driver update anyway? :male:

watchdog22
January 1st, 2009, 20:18
Would it be too much to ask someone to give me a walkthru on how to update drivers in Vista Home Premium? I've tried deleting the old ones and installing the latest but they never seem to work and I have to roll back. I think I need to find a copy of XP :isadizzy:

dvslats
January 1st, 2009, 20:43
I recently threw together a dual boot system...about a year old now. Vista for my wife with all the bells and whistles, and XP for me, bare bones... just for sims. Recently added a web browser because it was getting to be a p.i.a. switching back and forth between the two OS's just to get online. The automatic updates started because now it was open to the outside world. Didn't allow auto installation, but when I saw SP3 and assorted security updates...figured to give some of them a shot. BIG MISTAKE! More probs then you could shake a stick at :banghead:. Turns out that the error log files showed mucho problemos with the MB having a Nvidia chipset and the proccessor being AMD. Registry kaput. Missing GDI.exe and a host of .dll's. Even in the cache folder.:isadizzy::crybaby: Got a external HDD today and am going to start trying to save what is in XP before a new install of the older OS.
Let that be a lesson to you younger boys and girls. :icon_lol: Don't you just love learning the hard way...ya know, my gut told me not to do it. Like Tango said, if it's working fine...don't fix it. Where's that gif of someone kicking themselves in the ars.

dvslats
January 1st, 2009, 21:03
Hey watchdog22,
As crazy as it sounds, this worked for me. Just create a restore point first. In System Tools. You know...just in case.
http://blog.syracuse.com/technofile/2007/05/how_to_install_nvidia_drivers.html

Nelson
January 17th, 2009, 13:57
I just got CFS2 and the Dam Busters add-on. I have a geforce 8400 GS 512mb card. When I start a flight the main panel view has lines right across it, a bit like interference on a tv. The same happens in the bomb aimers view, but outside views and the VC are fine.
Would that be the graphics driver? I'm using driver version 181.

dvslats
January 17th, 2009, 16:55
Greets Nelson,
Is this condition only with the Dambusters panels? Are the stock aircraft panels showing up ok like the A6M2 Zero or F4F4 Wildcat?

bearcat241
January 17th, 2009, 20:18
....Would that be the graphics driver? I'm using driver version 181.

What you're describing sounds like a refresh rate problem associated with a differing between the sim's display resolution and the desktop resolution. First, reset the refresh rate to its lowest (safest) level through the Nvidia control panel; second, make sure both the sim and desktop are set to the same screen resolution and color quality. If this doesn't work, go back to the original drivers that came on the software CD included with your G-card.

Devildog73
January 18th, 2009, 05:17
watchdog22,
Vista is a really finicky system.
I have been through this already with MS and here is what you have to do: Quite simple actually.

Go to "Start/Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt: right click Command Prompt and run as administrator.
When the DOS box opens up, type this: sfc /purgecache and hit enter.
When it is finished type this: sfc /scannow and hit enter.

OH, and there IS a space between sfc and the /!!!!

Let it run its course and when it finishes restart your system.
Once up and running try running updates on the fresh boot, but do not let it restart until you have them ALL installed.

That should solve your problem as far as updates. It will NOT solve your biggest problem: VISTA.

Find XP and format C: then install XP on a fresh HD.

Nelson
January 18th, 2009, 06:47
Hi all, thanks for the replies. I have tried changing resolution and refresh rates, re-installed the origional driver for my graphics card, and it's still the same. It happens in CFS2 and Dam busters on all main panels, nose views and the key chart but all other views, side views, VC,scenery etc are fine.
I have noticed if I uncheck the "Use Hardware" box in settings that the main panels etc are fine but all the other views are terrible,just huge different colour blocks. Any ideas please?
Is there any patches I can download? It's an old game so maybe there's a graphics patch for it? I have looked but can't find any myself.
Thanks for your time. :)

My system:

Dell Dimension 3000
P4 2.8ghz
2GB Ram
Nvidia Geforce 8400GS with 512mb. ( PCI not PCI-Express )
Windows XP SP3

bearcat241
January 18th, 2009, 08:02
I forgot to mention vertical sync...do you have that turned on in the Nv control panel? If so turn it off and set the frame prefetch limit to 3 pages.

Nelson
January 21st, 2009, 13:57
Yeah thanks for that Bearcat, but it's no different, ended up uninstalling it, it wasn't that great really when you have CFS3. :(

safn1949
January 21st, 2009, 16:42
Vista is really no big deal if you take the time to do some reading and tweak the system it runs fine,I have been using it for a year now.But in stock form it stinks,go here http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html and here http://www.tweakguides.com/VA_1.html

Read it and learn,you will be pleased with the results.