PDA

View Full Version : VTOL Harriers

bazzar
September 1st, 2012, 22:19
With all this talk of VTOL Harriers, I am interested why nobody has mentioned the Wilco Harrier.

Features include:

Full VTOL and STOL functionality with infinite nozzle control or you can use thecorrect presets using the nozzle control lever in the cockpit. The system was developed by RB and works beautifully smoothly for seamless transition from vertical to horizontal flight.

Airshow bow can be performed along with many delicate manouevres all controlled from your stick if required.

I just thought that whilst waiting for these other splendid later models, you might try flying a classic Harrier GR3 or SHAR.:engel016:

Barnes
September 1st, 2012, 23:28
Yes - I even did this repaint for it but its VC let it down. I removed it from my PC in the end.

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq119/GAJIT/SP-1.jpg

IanHenry
September 2nd, 2012, 00:23
Yes - I even did this repaint for it but its VC let it down. I removed it from my PC in the end.

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq119/GAJIT/SP-1.jpg

What's wrong with the V.C? It looks fine to me.

Ian.

Barnes
September 2nd, 2012, 00:54
What's wrong with the V.C? It looks fine to me.

Ian.

We all like and dislike different things so if your happy with it then thats great

UKMIL
September 2nd, 2012, 01:21
dont forget mine, and it is FREE

:applause:

IanHenry
September 2nd, 2012, 03:11
dont forget mine, and it is FREE

:applause:

And still one of the best!

Regards,
Ian.

rcbarend
September 2nd, 2012, 05:35
Hi Baz,

In fact, I'm working on a lengthy post on the feasability of V(S)TOL simulation in FSX, in which I also mention your Harrier (and Tiltrotor).
But since this appears to be a very touchy subject, I'll take my time and wait untill the dust settles a bit. :)

To all readers:
When reading various other threads, there seems to be a lot of misconception about this.
And upto now, I held back on any reaction.

But when I read comments like "VTOL isn't possible to simulate in FSX", or "everything released up to now isn't more then a gimmick"
, I do feel the need to come with a reaction.....

And just as a little teaser:
Comparing various (e.g. Harrier) addons, is pointless unless you state how you weigh the various factors on what YOU feel are important in an addon. Which is personal preferance.

To name a few;
- Number of model polygons used, or texture resolution.
- Accurate flight dynamics, both in normal cruise flight and V(S)TOL (if applicable for such an aircraft)
- Details and appearance of the VC (switches, functions, textures, etc).
- Systems emulation. To mention a hot-topic: do you want to start engines "by the numbers" or simply via "Cntr-E" ?
- Ability to use it properly in Multi-player.
- Impact on framerate.
- How flexible is it w.r.t controlling it from a home-built cockpit environment (i.e. other then just a simple joystick)
- Etc. etc.

I deliberatelty don't even mention price, reputation of the publisher/designer, quality of support, etc etc.
Because any judgement on those are even more subject to biassed opinions.

Now, take it from me that some of these factors/requirements are conflicting.
So, IMO the "best" aircraft addon for FSX doesn't, and will never, exist; because how one rates the various factors, is a personal opinion.

MINE, if it comes to Harriers, may not surprise you: how well does it perform V(S)TOL ? (w.r.t. flightdynamics, controls, and visual appearance)
Because, to ME, that's THE single-most important feature that attracts me in flying a Harrier in FSX, since that is what makes a Harrier such a unique aircraft.

Best regards, Rob

falcon409
September 2nd, 2012, 09:41
Good analysis Rob. I've seen some of the comments you describe in other posts and just bit my tongue rather than answer, for several reasons. 1. I don't know enough about the technicalities involved in what you do to answer intelligently and 2. I knew sooner or later you'd post a reply, lol. Thanks for that.:salute:

Damien
September 2nd, 2012, 16:31
Wilco harrier was a good flight model but several documented bugs were brought to light but Wilco customer service was horribly lacking. version 2.0 was the last release with no bug fixes following it.
-Damien

peter12213
September 2nd, 2012, 17:14
I love this Jet I fly it often And I agree it's performance is good.:salute:

Ian Warren
September 3rd, 2012, 13:07
With all this talk of VTOL Harriers, I am interested why nobody has mentioned the Wilco Harrier.

I just thought that whilst waiting for these other splendid later models, you might try flying a classic Harrier GR3 or SHAR.:engel016:

The throttle/vector thrust using the saitek quad - rudder pedals , absolutely brilliant and if you placing scenery over a large area the ultimate aircraft to get around from one point to another ! Wilco's Just Brilliant